Is there science or psychology behind women's love for guy's abs?

Okay I'm not saying that you go for guys with that feature just like some girl don't want to date muscular guys but they won't deny that it's sexy. Just like I wouldn't date girls that dress slutty but I still find them to be sexy... but I just wanna see if there's science behind that.

Most Helpful Girl

• I really don't think a six pack really equates to the attraction that guys get from boobs and legs. I don't think that our brains function in the same way, and while I think a guy who is healthy and not overweight is attractive, I really don't like guys with big muscles. It is kind of a gross thought actually, I think that socially our culture is pressuring women to glorify the body of men. I understand that women were previously sexually repressed, but the media tries to make it seem as if every woman just wants to tear the clothes off of men is completely false. Most women are not thinking about sex as often or in the same way as men do, just like women don't masturbate with the same tenacity that men do. People might also say that this is just because of the repression of women's sexuality, I really just don't think the way that we feel attraction is comparable.

I don't think ripped guys are sexy, usually I'm like uck look at that greasy ass body, what a total tool. Even if a guy just has a fit body, I'm still not really attracted by that, we want the total package, not just a couple of flashy muscles.

What Girls Said 9

• Males are not built to carry fat. When they do develop fat, they carry it in the infamous "keg" around the belly. Visible abdominis rectus muscles indicate that the male is "fit" and not carrying around excess weight (a situation typically impossible in a healthy adult back in our cave-dwelling, animal hunting days) and also not suffering from disease (that could cause fluid accumulation in the abdomen and thus hide the abs).

Basically it shows your metabolism is working the way it should and that you're able to hunt down food.

• Well, if your guy is like really hot and has abbs, which I like a fit guy but I find some abbs are just a turn off.. Anyways if your guy is really hot that will make you feel almost not worthy? And the boyfriends I have had with a six pack usually are kind of jerks, maybe because it seems that they focus on there looks more than anything but yea, and when I dated them I made sure I always looked my best because I always felt that they could get someone else, which looking back is idiotic but you know, so maybe not science but that's all I got

• It means he is fit this healthier which means better for reproduction. Just like guys like skinny waist and hips. Better for birth

• I'd rather have strong arms over abs any day, but that's just me lol.

• Is there science or psychology behind a man's love for fit arms/legs on women?

• Yes it means that she is fit.. a man looks at a womans leg because that shows health and her fertile maturity. I love a womans legs

• ditto for abs lol

• more strength for pumping..haha idk, they are just sexy ok?:P

• If he had abs, he's tougher and can protect us women. It's part of his status, ( if he has any.) All girls want to bang a guy with abs. I don't know about date, but definitely bang.

• I guess to a certain point there is because we want to find a healthy fit guy to reproduce with.

• I'm assuming because it signifies strength and good health...someone they'd want to reproduce with to pass those genes onto their children..?

It's nice to look at, but I'm not a fan of abs in real life lol. A rock hard, chiseled stomach isn't exactly cuddling material.

• what about a chiseled chest?

• like this? link

• Ew, no lol...that's chiseled. And his chest is shaved :-/

What Guys Said 4

• Imo it's a sign of strength and health...which signals ideal genetics for mating.

That's the best guess I can come up with.

• My girlfriend *CLAIMS* to think muscles and abs are gross, but I'm convinced she's lying. I have an average body type. I think she just doesn't want me to work out because people would look and she'd get jealous.

• I heard that in old times a guy with ripped abs would not be attractive because it meant he was starving

but today since food is abundant it seems to be the opposite...

• There is science behind everything people find attractive in the opposite gender.