Going over to a guy's house to watch a movie, bad idea?

Recently met a guy, and I don't know him very well. We've been on one date so far, and were meant to meet up on Sunday evening again. I'm pretty low on money at the minute, so he suggested watching a film at his house.

I'm not sure about this, seen as I don't know him that well. He seems like a lovely guy, and we kissed on the first date, but I'm worried in a home setting there would be the expectation things might escalate?

I suggested some other cheap ideas that were in more public setting kinda things, but he seems pretty keen on the movie idea.

What do you think? Is it a bad idea, or harmless? I know he wouldn't push things further than I was comfortable, but does this give off certain implications (considering we kissed, maybe a little too much for a first date) I don't know any of his flat mates, and he's hinted he'll bring some wine along. Am I over thinking it? :S

Most Helpful Guy

• A movie at his place pretty much means go have sex with him. Never go to a person's house until you're ready to have sex. If you can't think of a single thing to do outside of each others' houses then you are not compatible or are very boring people.

• This seems to be something more of the guys think than the girls. Think I might make a poll thing to check that out :P So if a girl came over to your house to watch a film, would you assume you were going to have sex that night? What if you went to her house? (just wondering)

What Guys Said 3

• "I know he wouldn't push things further than I was comfortable"

The problem is you don't actually know this. Your impression of him leads you to believe this is the case, but that is different. I think it's a little soon. The first two or three dates should usually be in public.

• I say hell no. Make the cheapo take you somewhere, wtf. Stranger danger. Take it slow and if he likes you, he'll do the same. Movie night means only one thing.

• We're both on zero money at the minute (student life) and literally spending five pounds extra at the minute is kinda difficult for me. He knows I'm not going to sleep with him, but I get what you mean that it is implied. I do trust him, but maybe that's a bit naive.. :/

• Stear clear of him he just wants sex

What Girls Said 4

• Movie+wine at his house? And you don't seem comfortable with the idea or you woldn't even be asking...As he wants to keep on this idea, what if you tell him you want it to be at your place?

• He suggested having it at mine as I seemed unsure. If we did watch a film, I'd rather go to his as my flat are kinda judgemental/teasing.

It's mainly a money thing, cause this is the cheapest option. Neither of us have the money to spend elsewhere, but I feel it could be a bit intense/secluded. I trust him and all. But I can't tell if it's a good idea and I'm worrying about nothing, or if things could go a bit wrong.

• If you are wondering that much it might mean it's too early for you...just say so and move the date to another plan.

• Movie "dates" at his place usually mean sex. Unless you make it clear that's not going to happen, he's assuming he's getting some action.

• It's harmless. I mean, you can always get up and go home.

If you're going to drink wine, drink a bit of it. - I don't think he would push you to do anything, and is going at your pace.

• Yeah I wouldn't want to get drunk haha, never a good plan :P Glad someone at least thinks it sounds acceptable, it would be less implication at mine. Thanks :)

• In my experience, watching a movie with a guy after you haven't been out much is a bad idea. Especially if you suggested other things and he's not taking your opinion into consideration.

Believe me, I had this situation not long ago. I would suggest you come right out and tell him "look, I'm really not comfortable with coming over to watch a movie because I want to get to know you a little better first" and if he suggests your house, just reinforce it and say again, that you're not comfortable with it.

This is also a good way to tell what he's after. You'll know he's not wanting to try anything if he respects your wishes to do other things in public. Just hold off on the movie thing until you've been on a few more dates.