What are your views on dating atheists or agnostic atheists?

Would you hesitate dating an atheist solely because of his religious views? would you try and change their views?

Why?

I'd like a little explanation too.

Also yes, how would you deal with them if they wanted to pass on their beliefs into your children instead of forcing them to follow the family religion?

Would you allow them to choose later and have them believe in god now or would you let the children start questioning things at a young age?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's a matter of recognising that some people may not be on the same wave length as others in regards to religion and spirituality yet still respecting them none the less because having different beliefs is totally OK

For me religion has no influence on my decision to date or not to date a person - so long as I don't feel like that persons views are being strongly imposed upon me.

Sure I could talk to a person all through the night about them either being an atheist or theist. We could share opinions and learn a lot about whatever topic takes off. But should that person ever throw ANY other religion under the bus simply because it doesn't coincide with their own or make it too well known how anti atheist or what have you they are - that person no longer has my ear... just saying :)...

Regardless - the value of the 'person' to me is first and foremost. Everything else is secondary :)...xX

What Girls Said 4

• Not unless they tried to convert me to their way of thinking (or went around making blatant statements that their way of thinking was THE ONLY right way). But then again, I'm agnostic, so there's not an evangelical bone in my body.

Also, being an agnostic, agnostic atheism never made sense to me. I'd be more confused than anything else. How can you be completely unsure about the existence of a higher power, yet vehemently deny that they exist? It's like saying, I don't know, but at the same time, I'm absolutely sure.

• Dude, whatver just don't step on my beliefs and I won't step on yours. I really don't find myself dating someone who isn't spiritual in some way. I tried once and honestly, he just mocked me. I have reasons for believing in what I do and so do you... Is it so wrong to ask you to respect those boundries?

• I would rather date someone who is an atheist or agnostic because it'd be better than dating someone who tries to shove their beliefs down your throat.

Not that everybody who isn't agnostic or an atheist does that lol

I'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with it, and I wouldn't really care or hesitate

• From what I've seen nowdays it's just as likely that atheists or agnostics try to shove their belief down someones throat as a theist doing it.

• It's no different than dating a theist, in my experience.

No, I wouldn't hesitate. It'd be something we'd have in common anyway.

What Guys Said 7

• 1) No, can't see it happening honestly. All the self proclaimed atheists I have met tend to have a very specific type of nature inside them that wants to reject things they don't know and have so much confidence they're right that they can literally find the idea of someone being religious laughable.

2) I would consider dating an agnostic though, so long as they didn't all of a suddent have a passion to become a militant atheist. They can believe what they want, but if we was together I would love for it to turn into a debate, (an actual discussion like 2 adults, not the screaming "god ain't real position). I wouldn't intentionally change her views but again... so long as she sees the rational from one side more than another, then it would be her decision.

3) in regards to kids, this is where I would think ahead and not just suddendly make a big jump one day and wake up a dad... but for the sake of the question. Of course, I would love the child to ask questions, I used to ask the same type of questions. But anyway, ignoring what being "religious" means for a moment... I can't see the benefit strictly speaking to make a child grow up atheist. I would want them to ask questions but I would rather it hear well thought out answers rather than being raised with its head jammed with anti religious "I hate people who believe something different then me" attitude

• I have to be honest. I wouldn't write them off immediately, but I wouldn't be as willing to date them. It would take me some more thought. The only ways I would "try" to change their views would be if they weren't dead set and looking for some kind of direction in life AND if they asked to attend Mass with me, asked me questions, etc.

The reason why I'm not so willing to date an atheist/agnostic is because my beliefs are very important to me. They make me who I am. If I can't share that with someone without wondering "is she really listening? Does she think I'm trying to force her into this?", then I wouldn't be comfortable either. Plus, I want to get married and have children. I want to pass my beliefs down to them. I don't want to have debates about whose belief system the children would be raised in. I also wouldn't want to have to explain to junior why mommy doesn't go to church with us or hope she wasn't undermining what I've taught them.

• Religious view are not a concern for me, everyone can believe what they want and I wouldn't go meddling in such a thing.

• It depends on each person. If religious differences matters much to that person, then he should just find others who shares that same belief.

• It doesn't bother me what they believe. As long as they were not expecting me to change mine to suit there's. I like discussing religion sometimes with people on occasion. As long as they don't get angry or offensive. I always express my beliefs in a respectful way. Not trying to change there's either.

• I don't care if they're atheist or agnostic. I'll keep my beliefs to myself as long as they don't try and change my beliefs.

• No really interested in dating one, I don't like the spoilt brat type stubborn nature I meet with a lot of atheists

"Forcing them to follow the family religion" ... erm I think it would be more likely to be the other way around. We have studies that show that all babies are born with a natural inclination to believing in a creator. You have to indoctrinate them out of it to make them think otherwise.