Would you date someone with a bad credit score?

Is credit score a determining factor on who you decide to date? Why or why not? My credit score is good and I've never had a problem, but I've seen some girls and some guys who won't date anyone with a bad credit score. What do you think? Serious answers only, please.

• Yes, I would date someone with a good or bad credit score
  • I would not date someone with a bad credit score
  • Other (please explain)
Just to clarify: I'm only asking this as a hypothetical. I happen to have an excellent credit score and I'm only 23. What I'm asking is just based on a possible trend that I've never run into, but a few friends and acquaintances have.

Most Helpful Girl

• What would be important to me is, is he hard working and does he manage his money well? Also does he have his priorities straight? does he blow his money on an expensive car and partying or is he using it for college, or something like that. A credit score alone can't tell me all this... he could have his parents paying his bills for him or something like that.. on the otherhand he could have gotten in some debt because of some kind of illness and injury... so you never know.

What Girls Said 18

• I've always thought this was dumb. Credit scores are not always indicative of a person's trustworthiness or how responsible they are. There are many reasons people may have bad credit - many people have illnesses that saddle them with hospital bills they can't afford, some people may have had a messy divorce and ended up partially responsible for their partner's debt, and some people may have grown up in families that were not financially savvy, so they got themselves in financial trouble figuring out how to manage money in their early adulthood. I fall into that last category myself. Now, I've taken the time to educate myself about personal finance and have drastically improved my credit score, but the huge steps I have taken to fix my finances and be more responsible still isn't reflected in my current score.

Within a few months of dating someone you can tell how responsible they are, if that's important to you. Some people might argue that when they get married, they don't want to have to worry when it's time to buy a house or a car. But anyone can fix their credit with enough determination. If they're good to you in every way, but you don't have the patience to wait for them to fix their credit, you're probably not a good person to be with anyway.

• I don't have a problem with a bad credit score. I get to know the guy for who he is and a credit score can't tell you that. Also, I went through a tough period some time ago. I was laid off from a full time job 5 years ago, and it did take me 3 years to find a job. I applied everywhere and believe me it wasn't easy. I would have taken any job even Mcdonald's or Starbucks but they just weren't hiring or had too many applicants, or I was over qualified. I was on unemployment; i cut back on expenses to the extent that I gave up my cable, got a Tracfone, took public transportation, didn't go out with friends nearly as much as I had, watched what I spent on groceries and household items. If I didn't absolutely need it, I didn't buy it. But then I had an emergency my hot water heater broke ( I own my home) and I had to put some of that 2500 bill on a credit card. Then my cat got sick and the vet bill was almost $800. I was making minimum payments until my unemployment ran out and then I had to use my credit card for basic every day needs. Finally I landed a part time retail job making minimum wage, and that was barely enough to pay basic bills. Plus, I have a small student loan to pay. Two years later, I am finally clawing my way out from under. I'm still working part time at the store, but I started my own business and am still on the look out for a better job. Oh and people ask me all the time why my parents can't or won't help. My answer is that I would rather die than ask anyone for help, and although my parents would help, they worked hard for their money and shouldn't have to bail me out. So it just goes to show you that everyone with a poor credit score didn't get their from poor choices; life doesn't always turn out the way you want and even with the best planning you can still get thrown off course. I had enough money saved to last 6 months, which is what you are supposed to do. I also had a 401K, and assets. I never expected to be out of work that long.

• I would hesitate to MARRY someone with a bad credit score, but it just depends on what's going on in his life, what caused it to go down, and if it was coming back up or not.

Dating on the other hand, I kind of question how you learn these facts early on.

"Can I have your number?"

"What's your credit score?"

"210."

"NO!"

• Any kind of monetary situation is the most stupid thing to base a relationship on. Financial stability is completely unrelated to your feelings for a person.

• I picked other. There's tons of reasons people can get a bad score, such as divorce, paying back loans, etc.

Heck my own score got bumped down a few notches a while back because I opened two new bank accounts within one year, despite the fact that I have zero financial issues/late payments/credit card debt/ etc.

Really it would depend on if they're responsible or not

• I guess its your preference but it doesn't matter to me..i think that's the dumbest reason you wouldn't date someone.

• Hard to say. I'm young so not a lot of guys around my age (19) have bad credit scores because most guys my age don't have credit. But I know I will never get a credit card so when I see a guy using one it puts me off a little because it shows that he will likely be financially irresponsible in the future. As a business finance major, I take financial responsibility very seriously.

• As a business finance major, you should know that having a credit card and using it responsibly is a good way to build credit . . .

• And as a college student, I know that no person in their late teens has a credit card and uses it responsibly.

• I personally don't think this is a determining factor in my preference for guys, or not. I'd first look at what they spend their money on and if they're responsible enough at least with important matters. I'd also check out whether or not they're serious to some degree or if they just like to play around, like they must have priorities pretty straight, they can end up playing with money too.

• Who cares!? I mean what importance does credit score have? HONESTLY. I could honestly care less about your credit score. If someone won't date you caused by that, then she probably has her life put in order and wants to know she will be secure in future references.

• Do you ask them is it a question on a survey how do you know. My score is 820 but only my bank and wealth manager would know.

• I almost did. Yikes :/

• Date yes, but anything serious no. Bad credit would mean the person would have trouble getting a new cell phone, car, house, anything major, which would impede future life progression.

• Yes, but that changes. Like someone else said, there are a lot of reasons why someone might have a low score. A bad divorce with a nasty ex intent on destroying the person's credit score, a huge unforseen medical event such as heart surgery where insurance doesn't cover everything, student loans because in this economy getting any job isn't as easy as it used to be, even moving and forgetting that one final bill can all have a negative effect on credit. And while yes, it will impede future life progression to an extent, it will not last forever. In fact it may only even be for a few months or a year or two. Believe me, there are many more, worse things a person can do than have bad credit.

• Probably. It's not like mines any better.

• Well I require to see his tax return before I even date him ;)

• no. because I don't want him thinkin I'm helpin him buy stuff. like furniture and cars.

• Yes, I would. I've never even known any of my boyfriends' credit scores, haha!

• why not? just because they have a bad credit score has nothing to do with your relationship,thats pathetic.

• Would I date someone with a bad credit score? Yes. Would I ask my date what his credit score is? Hell no, none of my business, it is JUST a date, after all. Women who are asking you what you make, what your credit score is, etc, right off the bat, are in it for the money. Once you get to know someone well enough that you are privvy to things such as credit scores, you should have already made up your mind whether you are romantically interested in the person or not. Last I checked, love doesn't care about credit scores.

When it comes to marriage, I think that's when the finances need to be all figured out. My fiance is filing for bankruptcy right now, so by the time we get married, his credit will be back on track. He's not terrible with money, just made a lot of bad decisions as a teen/early 20 year old. That doesn't mean he isn't worth my time, or my hand. Everyone has a reason why they are in the position they're in, so judging off something like a credit score, would be comparible to a bank using a credit score to decide whether someone is worth a risk on a loan or not. Is that how you want to select your life partner? Off paperwork record like a bank? Yuck.

What Guys Said 10

• I don't know how you'd figure out their credituntil way later on. I will admit though that I was very turned off by a girl who was telling me about her credit cards and telling me how her other one was maxed out and stuff. The main thing about a credit score is when you're marrying anyway.

• its not something I've though of before , I usually have money so I'm not trying to bum money off of girls I know or dating just to get money . if she was totally broke and bankrupt that might be an issue I couldn't get pass but just bad credit ? not sure

• A girl's credit score is a non-factor to me...the economy is tough nowadays.

It's not something that I will investigate when I screen a girl to date lol.

• Bad credit , maybe. A mountain of debt, no.

• I thought they should date you for you, not for what you have. If you call that dating then that's bullsh*t...ofcourse I would date anyone I like, why would I look at their credit score. I would date her even if she was homeless if I had feelings for her..Some people might not agree with me because when they date they look for what people have not for who they are

• Absolutely not, bad credit = plenty of bad debts at 99% of the time.

Generally once a bad debtor the habit is habitual and I've seen this enough growing up thus I avoid such people like the plague.

• As long as she's not mooching off me, asking me to lend her money all the time, then okay. Men pay for dinner on dates anyway.

• Many people have bad credit scores due to the past economic events. Why should that matter?

• Credit Scores are bullsh*t.

• yes of course. I always ask for a print out of a girls credit report before I consider dating her. I also require that she provide 3 references, a background check and a psychological profile.