Would you date/marry someone with different political views?

Would you marry someone that had different political views?

Would you date someone with different political views?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'll date you despite your political views :p

What Guys Said 17

• yes, it'd make for some good discussions, I love

listening to other peoples viewpoint, maybe I'll

even learn something? ^.~

• My wife and I have different political views on some things. I'm still worikng on getting her to see the light..

.but progress is slow!

It can be nice to have philosphical issues to discuss and compare...

• Sure. I know that we can work things out. Plus, it's no big deal in my opinion. Not talking about it works too.

• Different like "No, I disagree, lets kill all the Jews!"

Or different so that we can have a nice conversation and expand our thinking?

The first would be no way in hell. The second would be excellent, most girls I meet have absolutely zero interest in such things.

• It depends on the views and their reasoning. I wouldn't be supportive if they are a neo nazi or something. Or if they start to explain that Sarah Palin is the smartest woman in the world.

• It depends how crazy they are. If they are radical fundamentalist republican they probably would never date a mexican like me to begin with soo... And I wouldn't want to date them

• Depends on how different from my views they are. I couldn't see myself being engaged to someone who was a borderline communist, but I could still be married to someone who was more liberal than myself

• Yes

Yes

• Yes, it means very little to me really. I don't need them to think how I think.

• I might date, but marry would be tough.

• Man I have no idea. There would definitely be a lot of arguments and debates though.

• Sure, it'll keep the home lively.

• Idk probably. I don't pay much attention to politics though

• No, I don't want a crazy ass conservative who has ideas and views from the 16th century

• I can only tolerate liberals in very small doses, so no.

• It depends on how respectful they are when we talk about it.

• Depends. I mean I think that couples with opposing political viewpoints can work, seeing as I have done it before. But, I don't think I'd be able to allow it to come into parenting. I come from a conservative household where I had expectations of me that I was required to fulfill for school and work, and I was disciplined when I was out of line. I'd be fearful that my partner would want to hug out the problems, give them a trophy, and maybe even some money for being unproductive or bad. Wouldn't fly in my house.

What Girls Said 10

• While I'm not a huge politics person, I still don't think I could have a long term relationship with someone who's very liberal. From what I've heard and seen for myself, liberals are very emotional people when they argue, and I'd much prefer someone who can debate calmly. I'll probably get flamed for saying this haha, but that's kind of my point.

• I wouldn't care if someone I dated had political views, but I wouldn't date someone who cared a lot about it and wanted to talk politics all the time. I have no heart for it, and get annoyed when people make a fuss over democrat/republican, pro life/pro choice, etc debates. I'd rather listen to an argument over which final fantasy game is the best than who would make a better president.

Also, there are way more important things governing your life than your government...and those things make much deeper conversation.

• It depends. Minor differences? It wouldn't be a problem.

Opposite? No way. It wouldn't work in the long term. So no, I wouldn't marry nor date someone with opposite political views. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see it working.

I'd rather date someone who shares the same beliefs as me.

My beliefs are a manifestation of my personal values, and I want similar views in my husband.

• I wouldn't. Political beliefs are more than the people you vote for. They're the sum of everything you believe in, where you stand on important issues facing our world. Personally, I consider myself a Libertarian. I couldn't handle being with someone who found my views "socially selfish" or "unequal" and tried to convert me into having the mainstream ideal. I believe what I believe for some damn good reasons, not because it's the cool thing to do.

• If we disagreed on:
    Separation of church and state
    Immigration/National Security
    LGBTQ Rights
    Abortion

then definitely not. I am a flaming liberal on these subjects.

• Im OK with it if both of us can keep our mouth shut not to mention about any politics by the way us and keep our mind calm.

• Probably not, if they were very different from mine.

• Yes, as long as his views aren't discriminating or disrespectful or hateful.

• Yes, I don't really care about ones political views.

• No