Is interracial dating accepted where you are from?

I use to live in a place where this would be a problem, as in, we would get a lot of stares and sometimes a few comments. I do like dating guys from any race (Latino, black, white, etc) but its annoying when you run into people who think your relationship is any of their buisness.

Most Helpful Guy

• It all depends on where you are in my country. While I think it is accepted by many people in most major cities in most regions, I think there are some who don't really accept it, but will tolerate it. Then of course there is the group that are completely against it.

Also I tend to find that there is somewhat of a double standard regarding interracial couples. It seems to be more acceptable if a White man is in an interracial relationship with any woman, as so long as she isn't a Black woman.

Additionally, there are some who seem to find nothing wrong with White men dating outside of their race, but still frown upon Black men who do. One prime example of this occurred when we were in Florence, South Carolina when visiting my father. He took us to a local Chinese restaurant. While we were there we happen to notice another interracial couple where it was a White guy with an Asian woman and myself (I'm Black) with an Asian woman. As we looked around the restaurant, people were staring at us as if we either did something wrong or didn't belong there, but no one seemed to be staring at the White/Asian couple at all. Most of the people that found us "out of place" were White people, mostly White males there, including the White guy who was with an Asian woman. While I may have expected the stares from the others I definitely figured he would be more accepting and understanding, but he wasn't. He just fixated on us like the rest of them did, which was something I couldn't really understand at the time.

Back home of course, where the population is predominantly Black, there seems to be some issues as well, but White men up North don't seem to mind. Generally a lot of issues we have tend to be more with some Black women who seem to be in disagreement with us as an interracial couple. Some have even went as far as pointing, and making comments that sometimes we can hear but not always loud enough to understand what's being said.

Basically, while the views of acceptance does vary between individual, I think that the amount of those that do accept and/or tolerate are larger than the numbers of those who don't, but it is still pretty much mixed in terms of views and levels of acceptance.

• Man that's horrible..

• Nothing you can really do. Just like we make our choices, others make theirs. We can always try to reach them but if they're not receptive, what can you do? All you can really do is ignore their views and focus on your life and center people around you who share similar views. Thankfully the people are accepting or tolerant outnumber those who don't.

What Guys Said 15

• Where I am from, interracial relationships is generally accepted. However within some minorities of the local population, they see it as morally wrong or "dirty"... Which really pisses me off as we should have the right to love whoever we please no matter of religion, ethnicity or skin color.

If you don't mind, would you tell us which country you are from? I live in England, but know in some countries the overall views can be very different.

Hope I've helped

MashDown5

• I am from Russia. There are hardly any black people there. If people there see me walking around with a black girl, we will get a lot of stares, and maybe some unfriendly faces. Well, I tend to attract black girls which has caused me to find black girls more attractive. If a black girl and I fall in love with each other, we'll get married, and I won't care what people therd think.

• It doesn't seem like people really make a big deal about it, I hardly if ever hear people even mention it but I do see it.

• I accept it, which mean that everyone else will just have to get used to it.

• Depends doesn't it? You have San Francisco where anything goes, and then you have a city like Jasper texas which is racist as sh*t and still has a form of segregation going on. In southern texas the minority don't care.

• In my country, there are caste systems. My caste is one of those fanatics who're against marrying someone of outer caste, in general, leave alone dating outer race. But, in my house, it has never been imposed on me and even if it was, I couldn't care less about it.

• I'd guess so, although over 98% of the population are white, so it's never really put to the test...

I'm sure you'd get a few double-takes, but not in a negative way - just because it's so rare to even see a non-white person around here.

• Here in Houston its accepted but like Mashdown5 said within some minority groups it sometimes is frown upon. In the city most people don't care,however, you'll find racial tensions once you leave in surrounding small towns.

• very accepted

• Yeah it's whatever man.. haha

• Yes, unless you're Jewish.

• Yes. It is acceptable.

• Where I'm from there are no other races but white

• Completely.

• Nol it isn't very accepted but cowards always have a problems asking me something in my face.

What Girls Said 7

• On campus? The dating scene here is so weird that I think whether it's interracial or not, people are usually surprised yet happy for couples who go out. It's honestly a very weird scene here...

In general though, it depends on what type of pairing. It's usually guys who react badly to their women being with other guys

For instance, white guys(not just in Tx) generally get irked by white women dating black guys. They assume it's all for d*** size or to rebel

Black guys generally don't like to see black women with white guys

Hispanic/Latino guys are the same

Asian guys tend to not care...from my experience.

I mean, on campus, no one cares. I'd say the most common IR pairing on campus is white guy-black girl. It's less about race and more about class/socioeconomic status.

In Tx, I guess it's accepted in general. In east Tx where it's real southern you'll get funny looks. Same for west Tx

• There are some interracial couples here. But usually I see people dating their own race.

• It's pretty accepting here.

• I think it's becoming more common, but it's still not as acceptable to society as dating within your race. Also you have to keep in mind that for certain demographics, it's more successful than others. It seems like a white person dating an Asian is acceptable (I'm neither white nor Asian so I could be wrong..) but a white and black person is not. A black guy dating outside his race is more acceptable than a black girl doing it.

Where I'm from, I would get stares and mean comments from guys of my race if I was even seen talking too long to a nonblack guy, but it's OK for them to wife and make babies with anyone they want.

• I live in a small town in Texas, and it's perfect acceptable here :-)

• It's "accepted" in the sense that I don't think anyone would just come out and say something blatantly hateful, but this is a rural area so weird looks/stares, yes.

• No.