Do you prefer to date someone with a similar job or career to you?

Or someone who is studying or has studied the same or something similar if you are a student?

I am open to dating others but I do have a preference to date someone who studies or has studied law like me because they can understand what it is like and I think it gives us something to have in common.

ometimes I worry that men will be turned off by the fact that I am studying to be a lawyer. I am not an aggressive girl and I really value a family, do not want to be a career woman. I am also submissive. is this really going to put guys off?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes it is better for you to find somebody who likes law. That means you can have law conversations or watching movies relates to law. Finding a person who shares your interest is always better it makes connection and keep relationship easier in some sense.

What Guys Said 12

• I'm going to be a teacher and a psychologist. It would be good for me to find someone that had a similar job. If she had a similar career, then likely, she chose her career because she was interested in it. So if she and I are interested in similar things, we can talk about more things and have more things in common.

• 1. I'd always love dating someone who's in the same line of work or academics (too late in life for the latter lol) as I

2. It will give us both easier understanding of each others' situations at work (though it may not be necessarily true all the time)

3. However, talking around about the common topic all the time during our personal time lest we wind up turning the house and personal space into either a school or office lol

4. There are also disadvantages to such a union.

4.1. Depending upon various genetic and situational factors both their understanding of various topics may differ, thus getting opinionated - that may create debates and arguments

4.2. Things that begin as healthy competition may go a little or more sour if the significant other rises up the ladder / scores more

4.3. etc

5. Matter of fact to be in a relationship with someone from the same discipline requries a lot more understanding and patience than when it's 'normal' :)

• It has its ups and downs. I work in retail and could easily get along with someone working in retail but most people who work in retail have the "I don't care" attitude and will almost always say "This is just to hold me over until my next job."

In your case I could see you possibly not getting along with another law student if you have differing viewpoints on certain topics. I however also think you could enjoy debating as well if you like that.

• Indeed. Someone who has about the same (level in) studies, degree, age, cultural preferences.

• I prefer a person who is intelligent, humorous, self-confident, empathetic, somewhat organized, and full of love. I have a higher education, but it doesn't mean much when I put it up against love. I don't take education into account - that's snobbery. I don't want to date someone just because they work in a particular field.

• Baby I love a smart woman. Woman these days only know how to do the same thing... Act pretty, get pregnant, and sit around complaining about they baby daddy being a dead beat while trying to collect child support!

Sure it's better to date someone in the same field as your in. As a matter of fact that's the best way for couples to connect today! Just remember to follow your heart, your heart will never guide you wrong :)

• I am interested in a girl who has the same major as me. Not sure if we have the same exact career in mind. It is nice to have a common interest in the same field but certainly not required.

• I'm an artist and business person. I love lawyers. I find the difference in career to encourage more interesting dialogue. I also like a difference in stress levels. Having the same career and stress levels can lead to tension and a difficulty in separating career from personal life.

• It is nice to have some thing in common. I am sweet on a girl who is at the same uni and we bounce of each other with ideas and lots of encouragement.

However, there is a lot to be said for dating some one who has a different job in regrads to talking about some other than your own job, you know, all that sort of stuff. At the ned of the day it doesn't matter what they do its all about how you both feel about each other

• I wouldn't care, although my fiance is also studying a science field, like me. That's just because we met in that environment, not because it was a preference. I think someone that would consider careers in a personal relationship would be unreachable personalities in the first place, better suited to stick with their own kind. I personally loathe legal tripe and all the corrupt games in the judicial system, a means to an end and nothing more. I've met lawyers and none of them impressed me enough to consider a career such a case for personal identity. Virtually no people become soulless lawyers for the fun of it. It's just for pay. Take the money and enjoy life. But if the lawyers I've met are any indication, it seems they can't. I guess that's the "change".

• ok...thanks for your great insight on my career choice I will truly remember what a soulless person I must be.

• I honestly would not date a woman that was going to studying to be a lawyer. I did a poll on whether a woman could respect a man if she had a better education than him, and over a third of the women admitted that they had a problem respecting a man if she had a better education.

Of the women that said they didn't have a problem, they often gave restrictions on the reasons that were acceptable for the man not having the same education. Some of those restrictions were so bad that it pretty much proved they did have a problem with it and just couldn't admit it.

At this point I wouldn't even bother with a girl that had a higher education than me.

• well...men like you don't want women with a higher education anyway, so I guess the playing field is even.

• that's fair. men and women may view things differently but it is hard to see someone as an equal who has not gone through the same experiences in life. education is a HUGE ordeal. after going through law school I will not view things the same way as before, can't help it. even if I drop out before graduation it will have already changed me. I like someone who can share that experience with me, that's all.

• I get that. I am actually going back to school now. I need to break my dating patterns and hopefully, this will help me expand into dating a different type of woman.

• I date a women that empties the porta jons at concerts and I do anal in p*rno music. Yes they seem like crappy jobs but we have so very much in common.

What Girls Said 3

• Stop dating him right away if you want a serious relationship and he wants to date multiple girls.

If it's not making you happy, and it's not what you want, why stay?

Also, the only guys who are going to be turned off by you studying law are the wrong ones. A guy who really likes you will think it's incredibly sexy that you are studying something you have an interest in. Trust me!

• I'm single now but you are right.

• i prefer not to, else it will be very boring

• Generally I would not because then we'd be in the same career field and it seems like a hassle tbh. Like if you wanted to be a teacher and were with a another teacher economically your relationship would be horrible. It's better economically not to be. Or if you were a doctor and were with another doctor you'd hardly ever see each other. And people can always learn so it's not really a big deal to me if you don't already know about my job, I could teach you. I think it's more interesting to teach someone something than be with someone who knows everything I know because I feel like we'd always be debating lol