How often do people give their honest opinions on sites like this one?

So many people seem to think it's a dating site, and they won't say anything that might be unpopular with PC people. A lot of guys are scared to offend the feminazis, for example.

My own feeling is that less than half the answers are sincere;, the others are playing up to people as happens on dating sites.

How many answers do you think are genuine, in the sense that people aren't self-censoring and trying to be 'popular?'

• 90% plus
  • 75% plus
  • 50% plus
  • 25% plus
  • Less than 25%? Really?
Consensus is that about half feel there are signficant numbers of PC answers, people not being sincere, and tsaying what they think people WANT to hear, rather than gving honest answers..

And about half who think there isn't much of that self-censoring PC behavior...
But you know, a lot of people didn't answer the question..they just claimed THEY always gave honest answers, and didn't say what percentage overall were doing so.

These A voters evaded the issue...I wasn't asking about YOUR individual behavior. I asked were percentage of overall answers were honest...

So a lot of A answers were people who didn't understand the question, or, in typical PC fashion, deliberately evaded it!

Most Helpful Girl

• I think less than half of them are honest. Many people who post comments that might be considered offensive or brutally honest do so anonymously. But I think a lot of people on here are trying to spare the question asker's feelings for some reason, like they would with a friend.

What Girls Said 36

• Why would people care about being "popular" on this stupid bullsh*t website, lol? I honestly don't care what anyone on here thinks of me. I always give my honest opinion. I think most other people on here do as well.

"Feminazis"? I don't really see many of them on here. I do however see a lot of really lame guys who are all like, "Oh poor pathetic me, I can't get a girlfriend because all women are mean and shallow and don't see how great I am." lol.

• I would say I personally give my honest opinion all the time on this site. The number one reason is because no one here knows me in real life so if they disagree with me or if they get mad about how I have answered a question, it doesn't really affect me in my real life. I don't see how lying to people who are clearly asking for advice, would be productive at all.

I have however opted to answer some questions anonymously because I have had people follow me back to my page and harass me because of something I said on someone else's question. I've had people go and down arrow all my answers no matter what they were, just to give me negative marks. Since this has happened more then once I have opted to answer anonymously to more and more questions as I don't like being bullied by people who do not share the same views as I do.

• I can't speak for the whole gag crew so I spoke for myself when answering your question. If you want me to guess at how much is BS and how much is honets I'd say about 40% BS and 60% honest. Most people don't have a reason to lie to you if they are taking the time to answer the question.

• Who are all these "feminazis" some of the guys keep WHINING about? Seriously, boys, get a grip! I'm relatively new and not on this site all that much but I've never ever seen a post from a female arguing for supremacy based on her sex, only from guys complaining about it.

I'm totally honest with my answers and I get the impression most people are honest with me. Sometimes I go anonymous if it's something very personal but not usually. If I had to censor something I just wouldn't bother to answer.

• I ALWAYS speak however I feel and would never do so anonymously. I was raised to speak my mind when asked a questionand never be ashamed of my opinion or answer. I truly want to give insight and an opinion to help people and I don't think you're helping someone by holding back what you believe to be the truth. Whether it hurts or not. as an Asker I always want the truth. If it hurts, oh well. The truth is what this site is for! We're not trying to make friends. We want HELP. Friends cannot help because they try to spare our feelings!

I like to believe A is true. I always tell my true thoughts so I chose A.

• Everything I say is honest. But I'm not naive enough to think that everyone does that. I'm sure there are people who look to get the best answer so they aren't genuine (so that they tell the asker what they want to hear.) I don't think this is the case as much as you think though, I voted 75% plus just because I feel like there are those that aren't genuine. I don't see the point in not being honest though, you can answer anonymously if you don't want to upset or just not answer at all if you can't be genuine.

• I give my 100% honest option all the time the reason for this is because I am never going to see anyone of this site. People who come on this site are mostly because their friend's won't tell them the truth; So they come on this website hoping people will give them the honest opinion even if it hurts but if the truth hurts it doesn't matter as much because you will never see these people again.

• @ update, just because someone is being "PC" doesn't mean they are self censoring and dis honest, I see this attitude this site a lot and it's total BS...as if being an rude, negative, prejudiced a**hole somehow means you are being more honest or right...it doesn't.

• Exactly. And how do I know if other people are being honest or not? Can only talk for myself, and if everyone is saying they're honest, you've to go with that, take those people as part of the regular answering community and not interpret the results according to your opinion!

• I try to be 100% with each answer I give...otherwise, what's the point of answering? I'd like to think other people are the same way.

• I always give my genuine opinion and I believe others do too. All the answers I've gotten on this site have been really helpful and the majority of their thoughts and opinions ended up being true.

• I haven't noticed people trying to please the question asker that much... Sometimes it turns into a discussion/ conversation and obviously you don't wanna hurt anyone's feelings, like in real life, but it doesn't make it disonest, IMO.

Think 90% or more of people here are honest either they don't care much about giving a proper answer or even when writing something a bit different than what was asked... Wouldn't make much sense otherwise.

• Well I don't care I'll give a sincere an answer as possible if someone is offended they're offended. I censor myself pn some questions more then others because of content. Like sometimes I wanna curse at some peoples question and tell them how I really feel but that's frowned upon on GAG.

• i know I'm being honest at least. even brutally so at times. One of my best friends even say that's why he actually IS friends with me. And why everyone usually comes to me to edit/revise their papers!

• on this site I feel that if you're rude, mean and negative you are honest LOL! and many here act like they are the spokesperson of another person like they would say " I'm sure if you'll face this certain situation, you would be like this..." wow just wow! I want to tell them, "well guess what? I am NOT you"

• I think most of the answers are genuine, maybe not 90%, voted for 75% to account for the trolls and just people being stupid.

• I have absolutely no reason to be dishonest about my answers. If someone disagrees or even agrees with my answers, it does not change my opinion about that certain matter. I genuinely care about people on here who are seeking real help so I am always honest and try my best to put myself in their situation.

• Lol I don't see this as a dating site. At all. If you want dating go to meetme.com I am extremely honest on here, even about genitalia, because I see that as clinical and not promiscuity. I don't and won't date or 'cyber' on here and could care less if I'm popular. If people are worried about being popular, they should just click the anonymous button, allowed on most questions and answer without reservation.

• I only answer honestly because I just don't see the point in lying... if I don't want people to know what I really think about something then I will just not answer the question.

it's not like you HAVE to answer a question here,

• I think less than 50% for most people, I'm not one of these people, I don't see the point in lying.

• I care nothing about popularity. My fan club includes a mother, father, sister, husband and our 5 month old. I tell the truth every time.

• This site moves because of the users' honesty. I'm completely honest with my answers. Why lie? You could always go anonymous if you think your answer sucks. Haha

• about 40% give or take. definitely NOT 90%+ hahaha

• I am not sure about others for me I gave my honest opinions

• I give my honest opinion for every answer, why wouldn't I?

• For the most part people online tend to be a certain type and as a result, they tell their truth but it's often the truth of the minority (of the population)

• Hm there are probably some people who do self censor

I think that the majority of answers are honest though

Personally if I don't care enough about the question to give an honest answer I wouldn't even answer it haha

• i always speak what comes to mind

• I'm pretty honest in my answers, and I expect others to be honest too, though I'm sure that some lie just to not hurt someone's feelings. I think if they knew that it will hurt their feelings, and they don't want to do that, than they shouldn't answer that question in the first place. That's what I would do...

• Twenty five+ more if anonymous

• I think that because of the anonymous option, people feel that they can be more honest. But of course that doesn't necessarily mean that they are.

• 75,I guess. I really don't know..

• More from Girls
    6

What Guys Said 28

• I can't speak for all who give advice here, whether it' true or not. I do find that some people here tend to focus more on their popularity more than giving unbiased answers. Many will give answers or even pose questions to promote their own views, even if the views aren't reflective of the majority or common sense. Others just seem to aimlessly troll around with no real purpose or intent on helping others.

In my regard, I always give honest answers. I don't troll around or pose self serving questions looking for one sided answers and the answers I render are more reflective of open minded, unbiased and always to the best to my knowledge. Granted I don't always have the best answers, but I always try my best.

I also tend to believe some people try to give good advice but aren't always the best at a particular subject matter. Still I believe they want to be of some help and do the best they can.

In terms of popularity, there are many "clicks" that roam around here and they often give support to those within the confines of their group even if the information tends to be a bit off base.

Though it's hard to be able to place into percentages of how often these groups respond, but I am guessing about 35% try to give good advice and maybe of that 25% may be somewhat accurate. Again that's more of a "guesstimate" based on my reads here and not reflective of the site as a whole.

• Trying to be popular on this site is damn foolish, IMO.

I think most of the answers are honest opinions, even if I don't agree with them.

• I'm honest. I'm not going to give someone a bullsh*t answer and I don't really care about offending anybody. I'm very sympathetic, but if I'm reading your question, and you did something stupid, I'm going say you were stupid. Even if the person that is stressing you is clearly in the wrong. Like if your boyfriend is a total ass who bosses you around, and he doesn't like what's in the house to eat, and you go out in the rain to get him something, I'm sorry but you're stupid.

I'm also not concerned with offending anyone because I don't really see this as a dating site. So I'm not trying to kiss up to anybody because I'm not expecting to meet anybody. Now if I do happen to meet someone through here, I would rather they not see my sugar coated answers. The real you is going to show itself eventually. So you might as well let it hang.

• I would attest that the majority is honest. Although, I always give a person the benefit of the doubt. Why, because unless I know the person, if that person lied or told the truth, it would not effect me or affect my life any. But really, why would a person lye on here. Nobody knows each other. Plus it can be done anonymously. Personally, I have rarely used the anonymous feature. Why? Because I am who I am and I am not going to change that regardless if someone likes who I am or not. So I will not put a false face on for no body.

Plus, who am I to call someone a liar? I don't know the person I would be accusing of lying to know if he or she was lying.

• 1/3 of people are trolls or angry disgruntled negative people

1/3 of people are pleasers who want to up their rating

1/3 of people are genuine

• it's difficult to put a %score on it

but you're probably right, many

peoeple are just saying what the

question asker wants to hear ^.~

• Please rate the question!

• then I'll say 50% and up

where 25% are trying to be genuine

but aren't and 25% are actually genuine

rest are either people trying to be funny

or thinking this is a dating site, how about that? ^.~

• I just say my opinion on something and I'm open to discuss and defend my opinion. I think the blaming of PC is just a go to word when someone doesn't agree with your opinion or tone of your message. On the internet, forum or website in general you are going to get different opinions on subjects. Also brutally honest is another one of those covers for people just being jerks.

So really I just say what I feel and if I get a PC label or what not then that's fine like I said it is a bunch of opinions. Besides if someone has issue they can spend their time looking for a chibi Juggernaut all they want.

• I'd say that most answers are honest. I think that some people think that just because they are negative or being extreme that they must be telling the truth and that anything positive is sugar coating/sucking up. I'll look at all answers with an open mind.Some views on here represent the majority of what people outside think and some view represent the minority of views outside. it is important to take every single answer with a pinch of salt

• 100% honesty always comes from me. Why would I withhold information just because it's a type of person that may not like my answer? I do try to not offend people, but if it ends up happening then I apologize either within my answer or a comment.

It's better to be truthful and ugly than tell a beautiful lie.

• On here, I am going to go with D on this one. Slightly more than 25%

• I didn't evade your question in the slightest bit. I just chose not to answer it. When it comes to how honestly people answer questions on here, well, let's just say that I have zero f***s to give.

• I'm honest on this site and do not pretend to be anything but real no matter how it effects you. My point of view is usually meant to help. maybe wrong but It is just my opinion. There's nothing to gain by a popularity soothing. If you have a genuine question you'll get a genuine answer from me.

• I change for nothing. I speak my mind, it's brash, blunt, to the point, and funny. YUPS. Why would I give crappy advice? I do sincerely want to help women understand men and vice versa and hope for peeps to not to make all the mistakes I made.

For the quest for love you see?

• in response to your update: I didn't evade the topic, I just got sidetracked with my own thoughts in typical 'Gawesome' fashion. I don't know why you're accusing a majority of peeps here about being PC. This is a discussion board. I have a feeling you're the type of guy that doesn't put a lot of faith in people and have a tendency to question everyone's motives in general. Besides, this is the internet. Say whatever you wanna say and be whoever you wanna be and trust whoever you wanna trust.

• People are usually brutally honest online...i voted A (accounting for the few trolls on these types of sites).

• I went 50%. Sometimes you need a guiding hand, a bit like being born and raised, then you have to make the mistakes yourself, which is the other 50%. You can't always depend on everyone else.

If you have a good memory, you can remember some useful tips on here. I usually post my problems despite knowing the answer, mostly because it feels good to talk about it.. but sometimes because we are human and we don't know everything anyway.

• I think it is about half and half with people giving honest answers but I think the motivations are diversified. Of course many give answers that portray them as a white knight, some give answers from a distorted jaded angry view, some are naive, some are amazingly stupid, some are trolling and some are a combination of all of the above. I would venture to guess that 60% of the answers here are from the heart, 25% are people trying to impress others and 15% are just bullsh*t in some shape or form.

• @ update...I looked at the answers and many were just as you said. They only commented on what THEY do. I still personally believe about half the answers are crap.

• If it's advice on something someone can change, then 100% honestly.

If it's something they can't change, rarely, then I might sugar coat it, but still be honest.

• Most of them I judge it on myself Whenever I'm answering and giving something negative I put myself into anonymous stat.

• You can't tell if someone is honest from text alone. PPl online are full of sh*t, trying to impress random strangers with their alter egos and get attention as well as be extremely cowardly and say all kinds of things they would never say. That doesn't make it "more honest", it makes it less honest because that's not who they really are. They are pretending to be that way and yah, in general people show you only what they want you to see on the internet, so most of its fake.

• The anonymous selection makes it easier to give an honest answer.

• I'm honest. And due to being the internet idc if I offend

• 90% plus.

• I wouldn't lie, everything is my true opinion and thought.

• Can you really trust the poll answers of the people below 50%, though?

• I give my honest opinion all the time on here

• i give my answers and question as honest as f***in possible (excuse my language) I am 15 and nice but when someone wants the truth I give it

• 100%

I use to be on another site, but just coulden't even post anymore, becouse I had serveral relationship with the girls there.

• I'm brutally honest, thanks to my anon cover. Let those hairy armpit feminazis think what they want. I'm Miles Edgeworth, dikes.