Would you date an overweight friend?

Say you found out that a very good friend of yours--maybe even your best friend--wanted a romantic relationship with you, right? And this person had a great personality, is funny, smart, has similar interests, etc. BUT is very overweight--would you date him/her? Even if it meant potentially leading them on, or losing them as your friend? Or would you flat out say no and remain friends only, regardless of their emotions?

My friend is an amazing person and I consider him one of my closest friends ever, but I am not sure I'm attracted to him enough physically. And this is important, right? To feel attraction? And then I wondered, if he were in better shape, would I date him then? Maybe, but I just can't tell, and I have this feeling like I SHOULD date him simply because he's such a great guy. I'm so tired of dating the cute, 6'+ a-holes, as fun as they are in the beginning. What would you do?

Most Helpful Guy

• For me, being overweight is a deal-breaker. In most other respects, I'm not very fussy about looks. I just wouldn't find an overweight girl physically attractive, and physical attraction is the basis of any sexual relationship. Also, being overweight is unhealthy. I'd feel a little guilty giving (implicit) approval to her being overweight. The fact is, the vast majority of overweight people could control their weight, if they wanted to. If she didn't have the motivation and self-respect to do that, that would imply an unattractive personality too.

Ultimately, though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you don't find him attractive, I don't see how it can work. But, you shouldn't worry about what other people might think.

What Guys Said 2

• I wouldn't.

Overweight isn't usually a problem, but you said he was "very overweight".

If there's little physical attraction, then it's not going to work out. Sounds like he should stay your friend. Ask yourself though - if he was normal weight, would you be attracted to him?

• No.

What Girls Said 3

• Would you date an overweight friend?

No as I'm not attracted to overweight guys and most likely the guy only considered me because he was attracted to me so it's fair play to me.

Or would you flat out say no and remain friends only, regardless of their emotions?

I'd say no and drop him as a friend as in my experiences once a guy wants to f*ck a gal he is incapable of being a genuine friend and will turn bitter thinking he's entitled to or owed sex for being a friend otherwise he's being taken advantage of.

• No.if I'm not attracted to you, what is the point of us dating? He'd just stay a friend.

If you were obese, would he want to date you? Probably not, unless he's attracted to obese girls because attraction is an important part of a relationship. Other than that, it's just a friendship

• It's a bad idea to date him if are not physically attracted to him. Eventually, he will want to be intimate, then what?