What do you think of white girls that date black guys?

What's your opinion on interracial relationships? Yesterday my mom told me that I'm dating my boyfriend because I can't get anyone else. Do you think this is the case with most white girls dating black guys? Honestly, I know I'm not ugly. I don't have a lot of self esteem, but strangers always stop me to tell me how beautiful I am. I'm pretty sure I could get a different guy, but I don't want to. My boyfriend has an amazing heart, he's handsome, and hilarious too. We're almost always laughing, but we have really great, deep conversations too.

I don't care about the color of his skin, I like who he is and because he's so different than the other guys I know.

79

Most Helpful Guy

• First of all who you choose to date is your choice and your choice alone to make. Your mother may say hateful things to showcase her displeasure in the choice you made (being with a Black man) but she's not the one in the relationship with him, you are.

Let's take away race for a minute (it's obvious you're a White woman and he's a Black man) but you've already listed the positive qualities this man presents. What qualities do you find most appealing in ANY man. I'm not talking about physical qualities. I'm speaking about morality, personality and other "character" traits you find attractive. If he meets that criteria then I think you made a good choice, end of discussion.

Now to address your mother's behavior. I think it's morally wrong to deliberately attack the self esteem of your child just because they aren't living their lives in accordance to her beliefs. If anything, she should be more concerned with the safety and happiness of her children and not the physical appearance of the person they choose to date. She has to realize that even though you are her child, you are still your own individual, and what appeals to you may differ from what appeals to her. She also needs to understand that she is living her life based on her preferences as to what she feels is best for her. She really needs to allow you to do the same. You're connected by kinship but you still walk different paths in life. What she needs to do as a "concerned" parent is be there for you and offer you encouragement and guidance, be there if you need support and always do so in a constructive and loving fashion. Perhaps maybe some lessons in morality would be most beneficial for her and will allow her to see the things that are most important in the lives of her children instead of trying to mold them to follow her selfish and outdated views.

What Guys Said 8

• Interracial relationships are great if done right. I hate it when someone dates inter racially due to some sort of fetish. We all just want partners of acceptable attractiveness, great character,personality and who compliments who we are. If you find that in a person who happens to not share a racial background then great for you and damn anyone who hates.

• Your mom is a bigot. She's also kind of an a$$hole for saying something like that to her own child. What mother tells her daughter that she's only dating the guys "she can get"? WTF.

Truthfully, her racist ideas about interracial dating are kind of right in line with America's ideas about black men and white women. Less than 100 years ago a black guy could get lynched for just looking at a white woman "the wrong way".

• I think that a lot of girls want to be treated like princesses, rather than equal partners in a relationship. White guys are sick of their bullsh*t, but many minority men have self-esteem issues due to societal racism and are willing to treat white girls like that to get with them.

So while there's nothing wrong with it, in many cases it's unhealthy. Of course, there are many cases where it's very healthy, it really depends if the guy is doing it out of esteem issues or not IMO.

• ummmm wouldn't that be an issue to consider in ANY relationship, regardless of color? get your head out of your ass.

• Sick of my bullsh*t, really? My boyfriend treats me right, just like most of the white guys I've dated. That being said, he definitely doesn't treat me like a "princess," nor would I want him to.

• I said "in many cases, it's very healthy". The fact you got so upset when I wasn't even insulting you belies the fact that you are very immature, and since immaturity is why girls act like Princesses in the first place, well... if the shoe fits, ya know? =P

• Actually, in the Netherlands, black guys date the hottest white women. So unless there is some other reason apart from his race to make that remark, it is absolutely BS.

• It's your life. You can date who you wish, but I wouldn't want to date those women.

• That's not true anymore. One could have said it years ago where girls would have been ostracized for it. Most white girls love black men now and it's more accepted than before. She's living in the past.

I think it's the opposite anyway. White guys are beta males and I think more and more women are seeing this and going elsewhere.

• There's nothing wrong with interracial dating but if she has been with a black guy in particular, there is no going back

• That's a load of crap. Just because you've dated a black doesn't mean you can't later date a white guy, a Hispanic guy, whatever. That's just silly...

• @clstone85...I think that you missed the point of that comment lol.

• People date interracially all the time; there is nothing wrong with that at all. However, as you're unfortunately learning the hard way, there are sometimes some cultural barriers and bigotry from other people that make those relationships more difficult than they would otherwise be.

What Girls Said 7

• Hi,

I dated a Cuban for 6 months, he's black and I was honestly never interested in black guys before but he was just amazing. It doesn't matter what color of skin someone has, if he has a good heart and you're attracted to him then that's what matters... Everyone making the negative comments towards you and your boyfriend are either jelous or rasist. Best of luck, he sounds great!

Sarita

• THATS SO RUDE!

Basically your mom is saying that since you are dating a black guy you have low standards. And that you could do better. Personally I have nothing against interracial relationships. I love dating outside of my own race.Why limit yourself when you can taste all the flavors hehehe. But anyways it's 2013 skin color should be veyr irrelevant by now.

• My parents gave me so much bs for dating black men but they did take me to live in Kenya for a year when I was 14 so what did they think would happen?! Right?

They even threw me out of the house when I was 16.

I'm just more attracted to black guys and I get a lot of sh*t from white guys, black girls and my parents because of it!

• Shade of your skin has nothing to do with your heart

• They usually date white washed black guys who idolize white people and hate that they're black

Or reject black guys who can't get fine black girls

Or they date any guy who's black and will pay them attention

Or they want a self esteem boost and date a guy who kisses their ass because they're white

• I'm gonna go on a limb and say that this anonymous user is a black girl lol. I don't understand why black chicks are so sensitive over a few black guys who happen to date white chicks. What about 2 people who randomly hit it off and had chemistry. Don't be a hater, it's not a look for anyone. It makes you look like a racist.

• Those are the categories black guys who date white girls usually fall in. does one of them apply to you?

• My mom is white and she is a successful, stunning woman. My dad is black and he is a successful, handsome man. So tell her to go look in the mirror before judging others. Everyone who has an opinion on OTHER people's relationships that has no mistreatment or abuse should go **** themselves. It's none of their business and quite frankly, discussions like these are insulting to me as a biracial child.

• I feel for bi-racial kids. I think mixed girls are probably the hottest in the world, but from what I know of them it's tough to fit in because so many people are idiots.

• Thanks for the support, but honestly no one notices what I look like except to compliment me. I don't pick friends based on color, never thought about fitting in and no one is bothered by my skin or hair either. As I go through life I make friends based on a person's character and I'm thankful others do the same.

• Your mom sounds like an ignorant stuck up B**CH. I'd start to question most everything she tells you, what an idiotic comment.

• I agree with you and I wonder what kind of mother would say that to her own daughter?