Do parents screw up their children when it comes to dating?

What do you think?

In my experience, my parents are still married. My mother married young and was a housewife while my father worked. When I reached age 16, my parents put a lot of pressure on me to look great and meet people. It led to a lot of self esteem issues because I couldn't always live up to that. Now, at age 24, my parents make me feel bad because I don't have a man in my life. I know they don't mean to come across this way, but I feel SO pressured to get married and settle down. I don't want to. And because of this, my relationships are non existent and unhealthy.

So what are your thoughts? Anyone else feel that parents make a HUGE difference in your dating life?

Most Helpful Guy

• Not all parents "Screw up" their child's dating life, but all parents play a big role in how their child's dating life will turn out. Parents are one of the biggest (if not the biggest) influences for a child. They can make their child want to date early and marry early either because that's what happened to his/her parents, or because they are so aggressive about trying to prevent their child from dating or marrying early, the child decides to go against their wishes as a way of revenge. Parents might help their child in the dating world by giving him/her tips on how to make their date like them more. How to dress, how to act, etc. And of course, some can cause their child to get anxiety, and other issues from being pressured, and other ways. Parents play a big role.

What Guys Said 2

• Well for me they don't make a shred of difference in my dating life. Nor have they tried to affect my dating life, at least not directly.

• Usually parents are not the best people to have any dating talks with. Parents see their kids as perfect, and they don't see how anybody could NOT like them. Mothers tell their sons to be nice, and we all know that doesn't work!

What Girls Said 1

• If course it does. Whether you acknowledge or recognize it, they have been the single biggest influencers in our lives