Doesn't want to date because he's afraid of ruining it...?

So me and this guy have had a thing for a while and are exclusive yet we aren't official. So this past weekend we had the infamous "what are we?" conversation. I brought up the fact that a while back (in the beginning of our thing) he had told me that he didn't want to be in a relationship.

He then went on to say this,

"No, the only reason I even mentioned that was because I really really like you and you are an awesome person and I know that if we date I will screw things up. We won't hang out ever again and I really don't want that."

I'm not quite sure how to respond to this. If he really does like me as much as he says he does would we not be dating? Is this just his way of saying he's not that into me? Or am I, as usual, over-thinking this and just roll with what he says. I just need a different unbiased perspective on this statement, thanks :)

What Guys Said 1

• He's just over thinking things.

It seems that he really values your friendship and not want to lose it.

What Girls Said 1

• He sounds very confused. It's not like you are forcing anything so I'd just go on doing whatever it is you are doing. It's definitely not his way of tell you he's not into you. Although I can't figure out what he actually IS saying.