Why did he cancel our first date? Am I overreacting or not?

Hi everyone, I have a problem. There's a guy I've been talking to for over a month now. We were suppose to go on our first date last weekend but because it was raining, he didn't want to go anymore and then I asked him so are we still going on the date? He said lol yea. And I said OK when is that? He said next Friday. Friday (yesterday) rolls around and he has not mention the date at all throughout the week even when he saw me on Monday. So just to hear what he had to say, I asked so what happened to the date for today? He texted saying we should reschedule and how he just found out he had to pay for a family trip ticket this weekend. I asked why didn't he tell me that in the first place knowing we had a date today. He took like two hours to respond saying ohh how he thought the date was Saturday not Friday and how he just found out that he had to buy the ticket this weekend. He also said how he is sorry and will make it up to me...only thing is he didn't say when.

My question is, does this guy seem like he's BSing me or does he sound sincere?

Most Helpful Guy

• Normally I don't respond to these types of questions but I am this time because I find myself in a similar situation and I hope that we can both learn something from each other.

I definitely understand how frustrating it can be to like someone, ask them out (or be asked out) but wait on a first date. Because in your head you're constantly wondering if you've missed the opportunity. I met a great girl in class this semester. We hit it off pretty well and I asked her out. The day we were supposed to go out, she never texted me back about her availability. Rescheduled for the next week, she never texted me back so I ended up waiting the entire night at home. I gave up on her when the next day I guess she felt bad (gave me some excuse that her phone was broken and she took it to the Apple store to be fixed) but she asked me out. I told her not to feel like she had to go out with me, she said it was nothing like that. When she saw me in class she asked me out again and I gave in and said yes.

We went out that night and had a really really good time. We clicked on all levels and it was great.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a stupid sort of way is that you never know a persons true intentions. I gave up on that girl and she came to me. Who gives someone a bs excuse and then asks them out two times after? So you don't really know. I feel the same way as you about your situation because I've been through it. Feeling like it's all excuses when the person may be legit.

My advice is to wait him out a bit if you really like him. And honestly, don't be afraid to be more upfront and straightforward with him. Guys aren't easily scarred off by woman, so a text asking about a date or even recommending a day and time (both are important) might get you your much deserved date.

I'm rooting for you, let me know how things turn out.

What Guys Said 4

• In the early stages of dating, a canceled date is a deal-breaker. Period. No exceptions. He's either a flake or he's not interested; you don't want to stick around to find out which one it is. Throw away his phone number and move on.

• he's a tool. Find a better tool to date

• He's rescheduling, he's interested but is busy. Slow your role

• He's playing.

If he's really interested, he'll make time for you.

What Girls Said 2

• He's BSing you. I wouldn't waste any more time on this guy. In the future though, don't make a big deal of it if a guy cancels and continue to push him for "next time." The ball is in his court, so let him work that out if he bails on you. It will keep you from looking desperate and wasting your time. It will also keep him from feeling pressured to take you out, and he'll be more likely to set a new date on his own (and follow through). That is, if you still want to go out with him once he's done that :)

• I don't think he is being sincere tbh.