Do 'leagues' or 'types' really exist in the dating world?

When people say 'she's out of my league' or 'he's not my type' are they just fooling themselves or are there really such things as 'leagues' or 'types'?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd say they exist, but they aren't laws, they are guidelines. There are certainly some guys who I would look at and say damn he's fine, but he'd never be interested in me. That's saying, I think he's 'out of my league'. Although in reality, I don't really know that he would or would not go for me, it's not set in stone, it's just a guideline.

Types definitely exist. It's just about personal preference. I'm looking for a man with qualities A, B and C. That is the 'type' of man I'm looking for. Once again, just a guideline because you will be attracted to and date people that might not quite fit that description (if you're smart you'll date out of your type).

What Girls Said 4

• Yes there are leagues.

A 5'2 250 lb woman is not going to attract very many good looking successful men who want to have her on his arm and publicly date.

A 36 year old average looking fast food worker who barely makes 20k a year will not be able to pick and choose between a bevy of hot beautiful women.

The truth is not always nice but its real

• They exist in society.

• There are always exceptions, but according to biology and psychology studies that I've watched on Discovery and read about, yes there are. Some people are instinctively more attractive than others, and most no matter their league will want them. So it only makes sense that if you can have them, you will pick them over someone who's not as attractive.

• Any guy that's able to land a Victoria's Secret model for example, is most likely not going to pick the homely girl down the street who is overweight. Sure she may be nice and sweet, but the guy is most likely going to try and find a nice and sweet girl who ALSO looks like a V.S. model since he's able to get girls that hot. Girls are the same way, except more factors than looks play into it. Like money, and status.

• In addition, look at a movie like The Notebook. Noah didn't have money and status, sure. But he was hot, confident, had a lot of skills, and treated her right. So at that point it didn't matter. Leagues mainly come into play when say a girl is beautiful, sweet and smart, and is faced with a guy who is unattractive, broke, not confident, etc. Sure he's nice and it may sound mean, but he encompasses hardly any qualities that would make her pick him, when she could have a "Noah"

• Leagues and types are about people you most likely have a chance with, but if you want someone you should go for them regardless. You might strike out 10 times, but on the 11th land a hit.

What Guys Said 3

• yes and no

• Types are more real than leagues, IMO.

But perhaps they're just different ways of looking at the same thing.

• There's no such thing as league because men and women are just equal.

It's just an excuse.

Though, "types" really exist since we have our own standard.