Can humor make or break this relationship?

I've been dating a guy for the past 6 months. From the time we started dating I've never really considered him as a friend. We were introduced on a blind date and became exclusive a month later. He's really nice and respects me.

Over the past 6 months, I've always been more excited to hang out with my friends than him. We also don't have very similar senses of humor and that's really important to me. I've told him this and he's tried to make me laugh or understand my humor, but failed. Being able to laugh has a lot to do with who I bond with and is important to me in a relationship. I laugh with my friends all the time, but I don't want to be stuck in a laugh-less relationship despite it being otherwise healthy.

Does he need more time to get used to me? Should I talk to him again about it? Should I consider breaking up?

Most Helpful Guy

• There is a sense of loneliness and isolation that comes from not being understood, and I think that is often felt through humor. There is a certain sadness when making a joke in a room full of "don't get it" types and standing there being looked at as though from another planet. Aside from it being awkward, there is a genuine disconnection and it makes others feel "far."

I think its a big issue. I once heard it said that the substance of a joke is a serious thing casted in a strange light, or taken lightly or made silly of. A lot of not getting a joke is being unable to identify which is silly and which is serious. This could be underlying a severe difference in values you have not yet encountered in the relationship.

What Guys Said 1

• if its been this long I don't think he will get your humor. I think its very important to make each other laugh in a relationship. I couldn't be with someone that couldn't make me laugh all of the time

What Girls Said 3

• I agree with jamiejean1021. Seems like you just entered the relationship too soon, without really knowing enough about him to be able to determine whether or not you two are a good match. Since you've already spent half a year with him and he still doesn't get you/your humor, I think it pretty much shows that he won't be able to get it at all, no matter how much time he's given. You also said that you aren't that excited about seeing him. I think it just shows even more that you two simply aren't a good match. I agree that humor is important, and since he's lacking in that area, he should be able to make it up for you in some other way, but he doesn't. Guys can be very interesting and amazing without having to be super funny, but it seems like he's not. He's simply not even interesting to you. I think that says a lot about what you should do right now.

• Being completely blunt, I think you probably jumped into this way too soon.There's something to be said about taking time getting to really know someone before getting involved in a relationship.

• If he doesn't make me laugh. I can't be with him.