Would you date a girl who stayed in the mental hospital?

Two years ago I was sent to a mental institution for trying to commit suicide and stayed longer because I was diagnosed with multiple personality syndrome and they thought I was bi-polar.

I'm still having problems fitting in at school or youth group or little theater. I've been called crazy in the hallways and other things. My friend tries to introduce me to guys but they are very afraid of me I guess. She thinks I'd really benefit from a boyfriend, I'd like one too.

But would spending time in the mental hospital a reason to never date the girl?

Most Helpful Guy

• No, that's not something that would drive me away. I'd be sympathetic. I would also be proud of her for seeking help for her problems. There's no shame in it. I applaud someone for doing it. So for me, no, spending time in a mental hospital is not a reason to never date a girl. At least you're getting help. I dated girls with other problems like yours, and they didn't do anything about it. I've seen what happens to people who don't get help. It's not pretty.

About the people in your school. Forget about them if you can. Try to ignore them. They're high schoolers. They're immature. They're insensitive. They're clearly morons. Highschool is hell, and it's hell for just about everybody (and if anyone here says otherwise, screw you, there's a large chance you are or were part of the problem) but the thing is, high school gets better, and if it doesn't, then look on the bright side. It end. You get out. You can start a new life when it's over, and none of that crap has to follow you.

About the guys who are afraid of you. Just try to prove them wrong. If your friend is setting you up, maybe she can talk to them. Maybe she can help. But the guys you're approaching on your own, just try your best, be yourself, be good to them, and if they can't get over your problems, then they weren't for you, after all. I know that sucks, but there will always be more guys, and you can always keep trying. Eventually, you might find the right guy.

I know this all sounds cliché. I know this sounds like I'm feeding it to you, but I am speaking from experience, both first and second hand. Things CAN get better. You just have to keep trying. In the meantime, hopefully this answer of mine helped.

Good luck.

What Guys Said 5

• i'm gonna be the outcast for sayin this but my answer is absolutely. I've been in mental hospitals before due to agression. tho truth be told when your guardian is the state,they'll send you there for almost any reason. I've rarely met someone in my age range staying there who wasn't in foster care. I mean, they think they know what's best 4 you completly ignoring what you have to say. talking is just wasted breath as they send you where they want you regardless of what you say. going to a mental hospital doesn't certify you crazy as sometimes you make a bad decision and that's where you end up. embarrasing and f***ed up but its a blessing in disquise as you are forced to learn how to deal with people who you usually won't deal with. because of the things you will see raising a child will seem easy because you've dealt with more than a child could ever dish out. I'd date you because you would cherish me due to the fact that you understand that good times do not last forever meaninghen you get someone who makes you happy, you will do your best to keep the good times rolling. and if I told you how I ended up in one the last time I was there, hahaha you would be in utter disbelief.

• I'd actually be curious to date you, provided I find you physically attractive.

• It doesn't have to be a factor actually. You're not obligated to tell anyone about it.

• Honestly, I probably wouldn't. I'm sorry :(

• That's never been a factor to me.

If she's attractive and have good personality, then the fact that she spends time in the mental hospital isn't a factor anymore.

What Girls Said 2

• If its the past I don't see why it should matter

• I have gotten called sad and depressed and stuff by guys and well, everyone really. It was true though at the time. I've attempted suicide before too but didn't get caught. I was bad on drugs too so people just thought I was high all the time, which I was but because I was over the world. The crazy thing is, I had more guys wanting to be with me then than I ever have. It doesn't make since but that's my experience with it. My cousin was put into the a mental institution about 3 years ago and girls LOVE him. He gets practically anyone he wants.