Why would a guy from high school (who's in a relationship) give me his number?

A guy who I kind of knew in high school (and I think may have liked me at the time) recently messaged me on fb and ended up giving me his number to text him because I told him that I'm not online much. He hasn't said anything to me about being in a relationship, but I gathered from his profile that he is engaged and has kids. I'm not really sure whether I want to text him or not because I don't know if he's looking to be just friends or more, and I don't really know what to say. I was thinking about giving him my number and telling him that it's nice to catch up with people from high school, but I don't really want him to get the wrong idea either. Is it strange that he gave me his number when he's in a relationship or is it perfectly innocent?

Most Helpful Guy

• He's looking for something on the side. Unless you 2 were great friends there really isn't much to catch up on...& I'm sure his girlfriend would agree.

Talk to him, (on FB) if he even hints at anything other then friendship I would lose his #. Unless you are into hooking up with a cheater.

What Guys Said 10

• I'm sure I'm going to get some very unpopular votes with the GAG male community but I'm going to be completely honest with you. Based on your back story I can easily come to this conclusion: he doesn't want to be your friend, no matter what he or anyone else says. I know this by key things in your back story accompanied with my degree in psychology. Here's the factors: first off, studies from the University of Wisconsin have shown that EVERY relationship (from casual friends to married couples of 50 years) started first from sexual attraction. I could go on for days about this study because its directly related to my major, but that's not the point. The point is, He's sexually attracted to you if he's randomly hitting you up on Facebook, period. The second key factor comes from your statement of "A guy who I kinda knew" and "I think he had a crush on me". These two statements sum up his intentions perfectly. A guy who you barely know and thought liked you, randomly hits you up on Facebook and after some chit chat, gives you hit number so you guys can "keep in touch"(is the attraction thing starting to become clear?). I'm sure you guys had a nice little conversation, strictly platonic of course. Maybe a few jokes and a small summery of your last few years. If this is correct then your looking at two possible answers. One: he saw you, remembered his old crush for you, figured he would see how your doing and more importantly, hoping that your love life is the toilet. His relationship could be on the rocks and He's looking for a possible "out". Option two (which I never hope its option two) he may just be one of those guys who talk to women in an attempt to manipulate them like some game. I'm positive that I'm going to get dislikes from guys because I fight with them on this site every day about being fake, but this is the truth. He doesn't want to be your friend. He wants to see how far your willing to take things.

• Not innocent in the way you mean. He probably still has a *thing* for you and wants to see if there is anything there (whether you will reciprocate). Best thing to do is if you are not interested in him to let it drop. If you engage (provide your number) that tells him you may be interested. Guys are like that. If you don't want to "see what you can make of it" with him, just drop it.

• he wants a fling I think, don't message him. I added people I only felt attracted to after not contacting them for years... He wants to see if you are interested in him then weigh his options.

• It might be perfectly innocent but look at it this way, all men are rascals and would be polygamous if they could get away with it. You might also consider that if he is engaged what his other half might say if she saw your phone number or text.

He must be honest with you about his status!

• From what I read here, he wants to be more than "friends", believe me.

• Because friends usually have each others' numbers...

• cuz he's looking for some vag on the side.

• Friendly !

• His intentions MIGHT just be platonic. All I can tell you is that the last time I reached out to a former classmate, I didn't want to be "just friends."

• Don't text him. Don't give him hope.

What Girls Said 3

• He could have other intentions but some people are truly innocent so you can't tell unless you asked him and he was honest with you. I would give a guy my number on FB (for completely innocent intentions) whilst in a relationship. If your partner trusts you and you trust yourself and can handle the situation well (as in if they become flirty and forward with you, you can tell them to stop), then it's fine.

Just speak to him and if he starts getting flirty with you, then you'll know what he wants. But he probably just wants to catch up because you obviously meant a lot to him back in high school!

• Guys and girls CAN be just friends!

• Bull. No they can't I have yet to see it happen in my life time or my school mates who are females.

in my opinion girls "friend zone" guys left and right being totally clueless that the guy is into her and doesn't want to be friends

• My best friend is a guy and I've made the offer, he wasn't interested.

• it's hard to say what his intentions are. But if he does want more then friends I would run a mile!