What are your thoughts on society's expectation that men pay for dates?

Would you rather pay the bill, split the bill, or have your date pay the bill?

• I pay the bill.
  • We split the bill.
  • My date pays the bill.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on guys. most of guys I dated, they always insist paying on the first date, but they don't expect to pay every time. and if I ask them 'i'll pay this time', they happily accept it.

so its like one time they pay the other time I do..

the guy I'm seeing now, it's been a while seeing him and he always pays.. never had me pay for anything. If I order take out and bring it to his place, then he'll appreciate it but when we go out and spend money, it always comes out of his pocket.

so I noticed it really varies a lot depend on individual.

once a guy I dated told me 'never split bills' either he pays, or I pay. he pays this time, then I can pay next time. and I think that's right..

I feel really bad to make guys pay all the time tho

its not fair for guys to pay everything. girl should pay sometimes too.

What Guys Said 12

• Honestly, I don't mind, as long as she's appreciative of it, contributes something to our interactions as well, and isn't too demanding.

If the man is paying for the dates, she should at least contribute something to show she cares, otherwise the man will believe she's ungrateful and just using him to get free dinners. So, it could be anything. She could bake some cookies or bring a small gift when she comes over to my place, anything that shows that she wants to put as much into as I do.

Usually, I keep the first date cheap anyways, like a few snacks at a cafe, and then if I like her and see her as a trustworthy person, we'd go out on more interesting dates.

• I usually prefer to pay whenever I have a date.

• I think it's rather outdated. It smacks of an age where men were the people who worked and the ladies were the stay at home housewives. As a guy I don't mind paying for treats, but if I'm expected to pay for a date then a treat stops being a treat and becomes an expectation - so let's just accept the world has moved on and that the world isn't as sexist as it once was.

• I'll admit that I always offer to pay, or assume I'm paying, but I do think that the standard should be splitting the bill. That being said, I let her pay or split the bill if she offers to.

• I don't mind paying, but I'd prefer she at least offer and not expect me to pay. I just hate the expectation men are still expected to pay by many and other sexist bullsh*t against men.

• I don't take the type of girl who expects men to pay for her on a date. We share or take turns in paying.

I like how all the girls so far answered men should pay yet were embarrassed to admit it.

• I always pay or at lest offer to pay

• Split the Bill, I may pay every now and then, but most of the times split the bill.

• I'm fine with it as long as she spreads her legs.

• I've always just alternated paying for things with my (now) ex-gf. Never had a problem and it works out alright for everyone.

• I'll only split the Bill or I pay for everything this time and she pays for everything next time

• Too many girls expect us to pay today that we are almost put-off by the whole concept of dating as a result. We live in an entitled society where we are completely replaceable by someone who is more flashy, has more money, and can give girls better things. Maybe if girls didn't always come out like they were expecting us to pick up everything, expecting the nicest of things, and showing some appreciation for what we do, that we'd be willing to do more.

• Of COURSE this would get down voted.

What Girls Said 12

• It depends on how the date transpired in the first place, especially on the first date... who executed the actual act of /asking/? I have always believed that whoever requested the company of the other person should pay. After that, I am in favor of flip-flopping who covers the bill, or splitting.

That said... knowing how I am, I would more than likely try to pay in entirety every time. I am grateful when someone treats me to something, but I can't deny that I feel awkward.

• I secretly love it when my dates pays. I would like for him to pay for the first date, but I don't expect him to pay every time after that because it makes me feel like I'm not contributing to the relationship. I like shadowscapes' ideas of baking cookies and doing small things to "make up" for the guy paying for dates because I'm kinda in this situation and needed ideas!

• I would rather he pay the bill.

NO I am not a gold digger.

• First date - He pays and tip.

Second date - Split.

Third date - I pay. (He tip)

Fourth date - He pays. (I tip)

Fifth date - Split.

But recently, I haven't and don't pay on any of the dates. He won't let me.

• Chivalrous guys with money don't complain about this

But on a serious note, my boyfriend never lets me pay, even when I offer.

• i'm so grateful to be in a country where if the girls tried to pay the bill her man would consider it as an insult .the man should pay not the girl simply because he is the MAN.

• Split the bill

• I go into the date expecting to split. I won't lie though, I think it's really sweet and gentlemen-like if he doesn't let me, at least on our first. After the first I'm more comfortable if it's pretty even and we split or take turns.

• I would prefer to split it. I don't like letting people just flat out pay for me but if someone does of course I appreciate it and I'll let them know that I do. I always feel like I owe them but I also don't want to pay all the time and become someone else's piggy bank. Splitting the bill solves both of these problems for me.

• I feel as if men should take on the role of paying on the frist date. It just doesn't feel right if I do all the paying.

• Let the man pay

• Llet the man pay the bill.

Then on the next we can split it.