Are you comfortable dating out of your race?

Do you care what people would say if you dated out of your race?

I thought I wouldn't care but now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not so sure. I am Hispanic and I think the guy I like is middle eastern. I'm not sure from where, since I haven't asked but I know he's not Hispanic. We just get along so well, which is difficult for me to do because I'm so shy. But this guy is so awesome. I kind of want to ask him out or something. But then I think about what my family and friends would say. I know it shouldn't matter. Maybe they're not open to dating outside our race, and theyd only date white guys if they did, but I like guys from races other than Hispanics and whites. Since I was in elementary school, I had friends of many races. Whites, African Americans, asians, Indians, etc. So maybe that's why I'm open to date outside my race.

So basically, I'd be a bit embarrassed at first but oh well. They can't force me to date whoever they want. I'd get over my embarrassment.

What about you guys?

• I'd be embarrassed.
  • I don't care what others say.
  • See results.

Most Helpful Guy

• First of all you have to realize that you have to live your life as best suited for you. Your parents can't live your life no more than you can live theirs.

Dating outside of your race will always win a few frowns and snide remarks, if not from certain family members or friends, then it will come from people in the community who tend to frown on such relationships. In fact, sometimes dating within your race will raise a few eyebrows, especially if the person your dating is deemed in one way or another "unfit" or "not good enough" in their eyes. In other words, their will always be issues, just maybe not as many if the person you're dating shares the same racial identity.

Personally, I tend to date more outside of my race than I do within it. I have no problems with it whatsoever because it is my choice. If I find a woman who I feel is attractive and we start dating. As long as were both happy within our relationship, then that's all that really matters.

In terms of embarrassment I don't have any. I am happy and I am proud of the woman I am with. Not because she happens to be a different race than I am, but simply for the fact that she's my woman and she makes me happy and content. Fortunately both our families respect our choices and we are well received by our families. When we're out in the community, for the most part, we don't have many problems. On occasion there will be someone who feels it's their civic duty to display their disapproval, but we really don't care, because at the end of the day, we have each other, not the uneducated throwback to medieval times.

So the gentleman you like is a different race. I don't feel why it should be an issue. If you both mutually like each other, enjoy each others company, shouldn't that be the only thing that matters? Certainly you shouldn't let the dissatisfaction of a few influence or come in between your happiness. If you want to go out with him, then by all means, pursue that option, not because he's a different race, but because you both have a mutual liking to one another. Never let others stand in between you and your happiness. As for your family and friends, if they truly care, they would want you to be happy. As for anyone else, it's really none of their business regardless of what choices you make.

• yeah I guess I shouldn't give up on him. I just feel comfortable with him and since I'm socially awkward, its rare for me to be this way with people I haven't known for so long. He's just easy to talk to and fun to be around. I met him this semester at school and we've talked since the first day and until a couple of days ago, I realized he wasn't Hispanic. Its weird how I overlooked that for these past three months that I've known him. I've always been seen as unusual so I can probably handle

• There's nothing wrong with pleasing the people that matter. Remember, regardless of what you do, you will never please everyone, so it's best to make sure you're pleased. Some people in life will always want to issue challenges, especially if they're not happy and see that you are. There's a saying "misery loves company" and while most will be accepting and supportive, there will be that few that wouldn't want to see you happy, especially if they aren't.

• Even if they see you unhappy, they will not do anything to try to help you attain happiness. That is why you have to be responsible for making sure you are content with your life. Follow your interests, heart and mind, not the perceptions of what others feel you should do or become and overall you will be more content and fulfilled.

What Guys Said 10

• I'm very Indifferent because I don't see the lines that people tend to stress that how different we are as people. I have seen beautiful women of all ethnic backgrounds, Black, white, Chinese, Indian, Hispanic, etc etc, So I tend to date whoever I find attractive at the time and seem to get along with easily.

• Sure. Heck, I sometimes even date outside of my species. Goats are HOT!

• Well, since I'm mixed asian-European, finding another

person of my "race" would be difficult, probably.

The opinion of others doesn't

matter to me, all that matters

is that we are happy together ^.~

• Im a black male, I'm comfy dating outside my race.

But most people that arent, are usually only so because of the pressure of their family to "keep the bloodlines pure" and/or "keep our family traditions alive".

Some people like this are so brainwashed by theirfamily that they implicitly psyche themselves out of being attracted to certain ethnic groups they know their family will furiously disapprove of.

So sad.

• In my college days there were several girls (asian and middle eastern), that I felt liked me as well (flirting with each other), but were hesitant to pursue anything with me.

To bad their families were extremely prejudice against black guys, because we couldve been a good match. Oh well.

• If I exclusively chose to date black women, I would be rejecting 6 out of every 7 in the USA (% of USA women that are black is 14%).

Thats quite a handicap to put on myself! :-P

• *6 of of every 7 women in the USA

• It's not about embarrassment, I'm just not willing to do it because I find the girls of my own race as the most attractive

It's not racism, it's about what I'm attracted to

• That's cool. I don't think that's racist at all. Everyone has their own preferences.

• I get that, dude. Everyone likes different flavors! 8-)

• As long as I'm attracted to them, I'm fine with it.

• I sure would be

• I don't care, and actually I'm very attracted to Latinas, I think they can be very sexy!

• I'm very comfortable dating outta my race and have easily. It's stupid to care about such or especially stupid to care what other people think about your love for another person. It's none of their f***ing business.

• Yeah you're right. It just makes me feel kind of bad if they put down who ever I like or would want to date. In high school, I liked this nerdy guy and my friends and my sister always told me that I could do so much better. But I thought he was such an awesome guy. He rejected me anyway. But yeah. I guess it shouldn't matter since I'd be the one dating him not them. Guys like my current crush are hard to find. :D

• Most pl aren't willing to risk family shame or even family abandonment for someone they haven't known very much, I understand completely why people cave to family pressure when it comes to dating and such.

• True family won't be so shallow as to deny you happiness all because they don't like some skin color. Imo, blood != family.

• Yeah if Faith Jenkins showed up at my door I'd propose to her.

What Girls Said 6

• Yeah, of course. That being said, there is no drama for me. My family and group of friends is incredibly interracial, so it's not something anyone would even think about/notice.

• I don't have a problem dating outside my race. I have done in the past & probably will again.

• don't care.. my boyfriend right now's Hispanic and I'm lovin it :)

• Absolutely. If I wanted to date an Asian or Hispanic guy then so be it, it's my life. If my parents objected I would be disappointed that they could be so close-minded.

• Girl, date who you want. Just make sure and make him feel comfortable. I love having guys outside my race. I'm black and I love Hispanics and I have a fling buddy who is Asian and portuguese.

• I'm dating "out of my race" technically but the race thing never crossed my mind. It never even occurred to me that others might say anything about us because we're of different heritages as it's just not some sort of divisible line I see between the two of us.

So, no. I wouldn't feel embarrassed about race, though to feel self-conscious is understandable. I feel the best approach is just to be open and honest. Just ask how those you think would judge you and whose opinion about it matters to you feel about the situation and go from there. There's no point starting a relationship you're vastly uncomfortable about being in, you might make him feel self-conscious or unsettled as a result. :)

• Yeah that's true. It had never even crossed my mind that he was from a different race. I started talking to him and getting to know him and until right now it hit me. I just realized he was not Hispanic.