Does a 8 year rule sound reasonable or unreasonable?

Well I've been through a ton of relationships. I am only eighteen and I feel self conscious. I am single again. I want to try going 8 years without dating. Since I have started dating my whole self has changed.

I've been changing so many times I don't even know who I am anymore. I am wanting to go on this 8 year plan to see if I can become a better girl I guess. I've just let myself get caught up.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think 8 years is a stupidly long time. Especially considering how it slices through the time of your life where people are finding partners. By the time your 8 years are done a significant portion of people your age will be in serious relationships or might even have settled down.

I would say a year is a much more acceptable (and realistic) time scale

What Guys Said 4

• So basically, you'll re-enter dating at 26 and you'll still have the dating memories and mentality of an 18 year old (even if you mature). Besides, you can't really predict 8 years from now so you shouldn't set a rigid limit. Just focus on one year at a time and take a break from dating now if you want to.

You don't have to be extreme, going from dating a lot to dating not at all. Just be a bit more selective, go with guys who have their sh*t together and date on occasion.

• 8 years is reasonable as long as there's something you want to do during the 8 year gap.

• Setting a goal to not date and use that time to improve yourself for possible partners is still thinking about the topic, in my opinion. I think setting this defined timeline for this topic still means that you'll be molding your behavior around the issue of dating anyway.

Only by deciding to enjoy yourself and your life, with or without a partner, will you learn to be self-sustaining, happy, and self-aware. If dating happens, fine. If it doesn't, fine. It should be supplemental to your life, not a goal.

But all of this is just my opinion on the topic.

• Well, obviously, you can if you want.

I don't know what that would achieve though. Surely the way to improve in dating and relationships is through experience.

Also you'd be wasting your youth in a way. I don't mean to be harsh but many women do start losing their looks and their fertility in their late twenties. So you might regret it.

But it's more true for girls than for guys that if you do nothing, or if you socialize with the opposite sex without flirting, someone might become interested in you anyway. So in that sense it might not be a problem. My guess is that, if you do meet a guy you like, you'd break this rule in a second lol, especially since you've already been through 'a ton of relationships' at the young age of 18.

What Girls Said 1

• Thats too long. Try 2 years.