Is jealousy healthy for dating?

People seem never to be completely fixed on this topic in terms of agreeing, Is jealousy necessary for relationships & Dating?

I think it's not great for relationships because it creates tension and uneasiness among two people who are supposed to get along, but that's my opinion.

What do you think?

• Yeah, it can be healthy.
  • No, it's unhealthy.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's healthy only in small doses, hahaha. :)

I have heard people say that "A healthy relationship should have no jealousy" or that "Jealousy will sure damage any relationship", but I don't think it's all black and white. In my opinion, there are two types of jealousy: healthy jealousy and unhealthy jealousy.

Jealousy is like any other emotion that we experience: Fear, Worry, Happiness, etc...We can consider it a healthy feeling if it gives us a warning signal which protects us from danger or it can be unhealthy when we use it for destructive purposes. So, we can't really blame the emotion. Humans are the one to blame for how we use such emotions.

Unhealthy jealousy is a feeling that's accompanied by anxiety, fear and anger. So, it's a fear-based type of emotion. It can be due to insecurity or some baggage that people carry from past relationships. It can also be due to a personality disorder (such as narcissism, passive aggressive, etc...) that makes one loop into negative emotions as a reaction to feeling jealous which in turn be damaging to relationships.

It's natural to feel jealous over your partner, but how do you react is key. Do you fight like forever because you saw her talking to a male friend? Do you hit your boyfriend because you saw him talking to a girl on phone? OR do you trust them and ask them politely to tell you who those people are and that's it. Again, it's all about how you react to jealousy. Is it a destructive reaction? If yes, then it's unhealthy jealousy.

Healthy jealousy is protective-based feeling. It's same as "parental jealousy". Parents love their kids, care for their emotional well being and whatnot. As kids, when our parents see us talking to strangers or getting too much involved with other people, they feel "parental jealousy" which is a warning signal that's something wrong is happening. They want to protect us from danger and they act upon such feeling.

Same happens with relationships, when you see your girl talking with a guy from work...you feel jealous because you feel protective over her and you want to protect your relationship from any intruder who may cause damage. This is a normal feeling. Healthy jealousy is that concerned, protective feeling that surrounds both parties in the relationship. Healthy jealousy guards and supports a relationship.

It's also great to feel jealous because it gives you a warning signal. It can be an alarm to let you know that something needs attention in your relationship. It can help make your relationship stronger. :) Again, it depends on how you deal with the jealousy you feel inside.

That's how I think of healthy and unhealthy jealousy. :)

What Girls Said 4

• It's ruined most of mine!

• it can be healthy in small doses...

• It shows that you still care about one another just as long as one doesn't go off the deep end and become one of those crazy jealous boyfriend/girlfriend that end up becoming the crazy jealous ex bf/gf.

• I hate jealousy. I get jealous over the tiniest things that don't even matter and I am sick of it and I wish it would all just go away. Jealousy has never done a single good thing for me.

• Same here/: It causes fights between me and my boyfriend all the time.

• You'll eventually move past that. I used to be a pretty jealous person too but I eventually outgrew it. You'll realize that it can pretty much destroy any friendship or relationship you're in.

What Guys Said 9

• I think it's natural for everyone to get a little bit jealous because jealousy in me experience stems from insecurity. Everybody on this planet has something they are insecure about so there will always be something we are jealous about but that doesn't mean that it is a positive emotion. In fact I think jealousy is an immature and petty emotion than can turn us against each other even those who are supposed to love each other. I'm trying to convey that jealousy is something felt by all of us but we must exercise control over negative or irrational emotions especially if we don't have evidence to back up these emotions.

In summation jealousy is completely normal but I think it's incredibly unhealthy in a friendship or a relationship. Self control is always key. We need to swallow our pride and understand that if somebody truly loves you they will look past your faults and love you just the same.

• Not really.

The only time I can see it being healthy is when it shows the other person you car. Person A is jealous because girls/guys are talking to person B. Person B now has the opportunity to prove that those guys/girls mean nothing.

• Jealousy is toxic for all relationships.

• It means you care.

• The westren way of dating is messed up. It promotes jealousy yet you are shamed if you act on it.

• In small amounts

• A bit will be fine, but in excess, it's too much and detrimental.

• In excess, it is unhealthy. But otherwise, jealousy is natural and people that abhor it are only stressing over something they can't change.

• I think there can be a healthy amount for relationships. You don't want them obsessive, but you don't want them to not care either. I think it can be a good thing in moderation.