Breaking Up with Someone Over Text Message

Is it bad to break up with someone over text message ? Sometimes it helps soften the blow

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been dumped through text and it's not a good feeling. It's a coward's way, and pretty pathetic. First, I felt bad because he was dumping me. Then, I felt bad because he didn't feel I was worth doing it face to face. Then, I felt even worse because he didn't respect me enough to even CALL me.

It's pretty bad. People saying it's progressive to do it in a text, I think that's nonsense. That implies that progression includes losing all respect for each other. I don't think it's progressive to dump someone over a text, I think it's incredibly regressive.

What Girls Said 8

• It's the worst thing ever if you get broken up with period. At least if a guy breaks up with you in a text message, you can cry and be a baby all you want with out looking pathetic. Seriously if he's breaking up with you he's lost respect for you anyways..he don't like you no more. Why does he gotta do it to your face? So you can beg him back? Make him feel like sh*t for not liking you anymore? lol. If he text you, you have the option to respond rationally. Maybe get more of an answer to why he's doing it. If a girl is crying in his face he's just gonna say anything to make her stop crying...That's not fair to either of you.

• Eh, I'm old-skool. I think breaking up with someone via text or email is, if nothing else, atrocious manners. I just think it's really disrespectful to your former partner. I guess if that's part of the message you are trying to convey then it's effective, but if you ever really liked that person or had any amount of respect for them EVER, then a break-up text is foul. Phone isn't ideal, but folks is busy, sometimes it's hard to schedule a sit-down.

• it would only soften the blow for the initiator,it would be a huge heart breaking blow to the reciever

• It doesn't matter how you break up with someone. People say your more of a man if you do it to her face...whatever. It's 2013. Do it in a text message.

• Horrible thing to do. Grow up and have the balls to do it face to face.

• yes very bad to break up over text! I've had it happen to me. Worst thing ever. Your should never do that. The person you were dating deserves alittle more than that. And it doesn't "help soften the blow" it makes it worse.

• nah man. Me personally would do it in person.

• It's terrible. Don't do it.

What Guys Said 2

• It's better not to. Suck it up, be a man, and face her.

• It's really bad since you won't come up as sincere or genuine.