Guys would you date a single mom?

Ive had a f*** buddy with a single mom but I don't know dating her always just didn't sound OK to me. I guess its all the responsibility that would come with it for a child that isn't mine.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've dated 2 single moms.

1) She had 2 brats aged 4 and 7, she had just recently ended it with the father of the 2 kids when we started hanging out and dating, this is one sure way to make some enemies as that guy is gonna hate you no matter what. Thankfully he took the brats often as they had joint custody and I just kept away from her whenever she had them about though there were moments when I was caught in the cross-fire as I was at the house and so happened her ex showed up early with the kids... can be awkward. The mistake I made with this woman is starting to date her so soon after her breakup and things weren't quite settled down yet. The good thing though is I made it very clear to her that I wanted no part of her kids as I wasn't interested in playing house and I certainly didn't like the idea of paying for someone else's kids... can be tricky though as many single moms will expect their guy to play a part in their kids life though not necessarily as dad.

2) She had 4 kids aged 3, 5, 9 and 14, she had been divorced for 3 years when we first started seeing each other. It was primarily a fortnight relationship as I only saw her then due to work commitments and it also so happened that that was the weekend her ex had the kids. I was happy with it being that way but eventually it got to it that she wanted more and that meant having to deal with her brats. Yes eventually you will need to fork out some money for them, I mean you will eventually be asked to go for a date where all of you went to an amusement park... chances are you will end up paying for some parts for the kids, maybe a hotdog or a lemonade or something. If her only source of income is from child support, then you will need to be extra careful especially in current economic times, her ex was a teacher and shock and horror he lost his job and couldn't pay child support, it becomes a very difficult situation as if she asks for money to feed her kids, keep the heat on etc it is darn near impossible to tell her no and you can forget about the money ever being repaid.

After those 2, I stay away from women with kids though am open to being FWB with them.

What Girls Said 2

• Can I just add a little perspective, here? I'm a single mom- been divorced for years- and I date. I do not, however, bring guys I date around my daughter. I don't expect them to take care of her or do stuff for her- she has parents for that. She has a father already. I don't care for him, but SHE loves him and he's a good dad- she doesn't need a stand-in.

I would never expect a guy I was dating to fill in. I mean, if it got serious then of course he would have to like her, but dating is pretty casual, right? So I don't even bring her into it at all.

• well I guess I was saying dating with the intent to get serious. like if you get married to a man and you live together I imagine he will have to take more responsibility. so that's why I was asking men

• well if me and a girl with a kid were living together and renting a place then id like her to pay more then me for sure. from what youve told me about yourself id imagine you would agree to that

• In my case it was a bit different. I own my home, and it's mine. So he didn't pay rent to me, because it was already my home- I wasn't looking to make $ off of him. And for utilities... well, he didn't usually kick in. In the years we lived together, he *maybe* paid out $500 for house-stuff. And he bought his own groceries, which we (my kid and I) didn't mess with at all unless he offered it up. It was fine with me- my home, my bills. And when I put him out, nothing with the $ changed.

• I was dating a single dad. Felt wrong in so many ways.. The part of just being a sex buddies was good though.

What Guys Said 7

• Actually, I would love to date single moms.

1 - Another dude is paying for the kid

2 - You are not responsible for the kid. All you have to do is take the kid out to ice cream and play basketball with him once a month and he's cool with you.

3 - If both of you break up, you don't have to pay child support for the kid

• Nope.

• If I cared enough for her I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. But if the father was in her life other then his right to visit the kid, or they're buddies on all the social networks & in constant contact then I wouldn't even consider it. Been there, done that & I won't do it again.

It's no fun when you get attached to the kid also then it gets ripped from under you because the ex decided to come back after a few years & the hard part of raising his kid is already done.

• It depends on WHY she is a single mom. If she had a child with a guy in a committed relationship and then he left her, or she him because he was an a**hole, then I would consider it.

If she chose to be a single mom, I would never date anyone who has so little respect for the needs of a child and the importance of a father in his/her life, which has to be one of the most selfish things a woman can choose to do.

I don't mind the responsibilities of taking care of her child because I love kids and if I cared about her I would gladly be a father to her child.

• starting a relationship with a single mum is like continuing from someone else's saved game...

• I don't like children at all. I'm not into that.

• No. I wouldn't want to look after a child that's not mine.