Would you date a guy without a college degree?

Assuming he was really intelligent (both book and street) but just has a hard time conveying that in an academic sense. Has a good job and is able to support himself and live in relative comfort.

In these cases would lack of a degree STILL be a deal breaker?

I ask this because there are tons of people who graduate college who:

1. Don't have high paying jobs (largely art and social science majors)

2. Aren't very intelligent or deep (just good at memorizing things).

I wonder why is it a deal breaker? Is it a matter of status? Is it a matter of him being lazy? Or is it moreso a matter of "if we get married in 20 years and he happens to lose his job, will he be able to find a new one"?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I would. It's not a deal breaker. A college degree alone proves nothing to me. Some of the most intelligent and learned people I've met in my life don't have letters after their names, so I don't think the fact that you manage to make it through college and get your degree proves intelligence. You may have more information and/or knowledge of certain subjects, but that's about it. Being able to support yourself and live well is essential but not necessarily dependent on having a college degree. As you said in your update, many with college degrees aren't able to find exceptional jobs in their fields, so their college degree has not helped them.

That doesn't mean that an education isn't important. However, I believe that an education can be had without having to attend a university. A desire to better yourself, to learn from other great minds by reading and studying on your own for the pure joy of learning can often leave you with more and deeper knowledge and understanding than you would ever obtain within the confines of college. With that being said, one of the best points of college is the ability to discuss and share ideas with others, to help and encourage one another to learn, and to have guidance with regard to those things that push or test your understanding. While that may be easier in a college setting, it is not the only way and frequently those in college don't take advantage of those opportunities. Any education, whether obtained at a university or through your own devices is essential. Intelligence and the desire to better yourself matters to me, not the degree.

• very well said

• Thanks for the comment. It was an interesting question with diverse answers. I have to admit it's not something that I ever even considered when dating.

What Girls Said 10

• Not even an issue. I don't have a college degree. I didn't even complete high school [got my GED at 16], and no one I know has any doubt about my intelligence. I don't measure a person's 'brains' by how much formal education they've had.

I think it depends on how a person was raised to view intelligence, and/or how they've chosen to see things differently later on. Formal education and degrees were never pounded into my head as something I NEEDED to have to be smart or successful. Someone who did grow up with that viewpoint enforced are probably more likely to see someone without a degree [or who is not working toward a degree] as lacking ambition or intelligence, going nowhere in life, and not someone they can relate to in the long term.

For me, it's not high on my list of priorities as far as what I look for in a partner, lol. Intellectual compatibility, yes, but that doesn't require a degree or any college at all really.

• Ambition is really important to me. I'm a uni student and I'd prefer dating someone who had tertiary education too BUT it's not a deal breaker. If the guy is still independent and not living off their parents money then I can work with that. I guess it just comes down to the fact that I want someone who aspires to live a good life and to not just make enough to survive. I grew up with a father who has no ambition and is a lazy prick. He doesn't care if we go into debt every now and then and he just wants to make enough to survive. I don't like that. I see the kinda financial problems we have and I don't want to ever have to live that way. Hence why I decided to work hard at school and go to uni. So I would want a partner who shares this drive and have a similar mindset.

• Yes, I care about a degree. To spend time getting a worthwhile degree (not liberal arts or any of that junk) shows motivation and a go getter attitude. When I'm casually dating a guy, all I care is that he has a job and can support himself. If he were marriage material, I'd be far less likely to date him, simply because manual jobs/jobs that don't require education are more easily replaced and one injury could put him out of work. Degrees (esp. things like MBA's & law degrees) are really stable and I know he would be able to help provide a great life for our children, as opposed to say, an oil worker. Plus, we'd probably have different interests and priorities. I want my children to go to college, but that would be kind of hypocritical to require my kids to go when their father couldn't be bothered, you know?

I'd be unlikely to end up with a guy who didn't attend university simply because all guys I associate with have gone or are there now. I'm upper middle class, and going to tradeschool or skipping college would be frowned upon. It's only 4 years, or even 3, and here in Canada it's not even expensive, so there's no excuse.

• Deal breaker.

• Describe relative comfort

• This doesn't make any sense. I eat out at the cheesecake factory, I have a phone, and go on two vacations every year. I shop at Nordstroms and live independently.. I own stocks and have money on the side

I never got a degree and do hard labor.

Are you sure you just don't mean money? Is money what you like?

• If you get fired = get another job in the same field. Exactly the same as you'd do if you had a college degree and were fired.

• Of course.

Maybe its just here in Australia, but not going to uni isn't a big deal and is really common for men, because a lot of tradesmen are paid a lot more here anyway.

It's really not something I even think about.

• I want someone who is responsible and stable, but I don't think they need a college degree to get along with me and have something special. The guy I'm seeing now is a tradie and I think it's hot. I don't expect my partner to provide for me, so it's just not an issue. So long as we have an emotional, sexual and intellectual attraction - it's all good.

• yeah , as long as he's not lazy or unable to support himself, it's fine.

• Exactly. Lack of a college degree doesn't suggest he isn't ambitious or hardworking. Different people want different things.

• It doesn't really matter to me just as long as he has a job. And by job I mean,an ACTUAL job and not some burger joint job or blockuster.

• it doesn't matter

• i don't mind :)

• it's not an issue to me, so of course

• Sure

What Guys Said 4

• id date a girl without one, in fact I prefer too

• Why would you prefer that she doesn't have one?

• because most women major in sh*tty degrees, and then they take an average of ten years off of work to raise kids. why would I want to pay a womens loans back for her education when she was f***ing other men at the time? its just not going to happen

• I hope so

• If a girl doesn't have a degree, it doesn't matter to me.

• Some of the most talented and intelligent people that I deal with in my daily life never went to college. They have a particular skill set in a trade and are very good at what they do netting them a fat paycheck. I do feel that everyone who doesn't attend a trade school should go to college and many girls that I know want someone educated, motivated and ambitious.