Why do people date at such a young age?

I wonder why people date at such a young age, I'm a 16 year old male in high school. I've been asked out by many attractive girls since 6th grade but have denied them all...mostly because they were stupid in my opinion... What I want to know is, why date? Isn't the point of dating to see if the partner is suitable for marriage? I fell that's not the intent for anyone anymore. I think that instead of putting so much time into generally doomed relationships, they could be focusing on something else more important like school. I just don't get it... someone please enlighten me

Most Helpful Guy

• Peer pressure, idiot parents...Iwas like you as a teenager. Dating as a couple seemed stupid, a rehearsal for sex slavery..all the girls were selling themselves, mostly to much older guys.

I did date in groups, in clubs..that seemed healthier, and that way you could flirt with many quickly and see if you were compatible. Dating is so cumbersome and such an indirect way to get to know someone.

What Girls Said 1

• Training wheels- that's my guess. I never dated anyone in high school OR college that I thought I would end up with in the long term. It was fun, though. Dating can be fun.

What Guys Said 3

• Simple answer...hormones.

During puberty we as primal human beings crave sexuality, so we "date" as a social construct to pursue that sexual energy that we crave as primal human beings.

I know the whole "caveman paradigm" is used so often to explain this stuff, but in this case it explains the "early dating" topic quite well imho.

P.S. Teens start dating EVEN YOUNGER than a generation ago? Why? Because puberty starts earlier now than it did a generation ago.

• That's because some people just want to feel how it is to be in a relationship.

• You would have likely have been married already at your age, in any other time in human history. You sound like you are either a really late bloomer, or have a below average sex drive.

• No... I'm just smart... I can look at a girl and want to strip her down but I know I actually have a future and wouldn't want to ruin that future by getting a girl pregnant. I think with my brain, not with my penis...