Girls what's your take on comics and comic nerds?

i m a college sports star, topper of my class, charming friendly guy and more importantly a certified COMIC and VIDEO GAME NERD...and am damn proud of it...and hence comic book heroes and movies have always been like a huge deal to me. So I always wished to date girls who were interested in comics too...

but throughout my not so long yet noticable dating history I never met a girl was inclined to my hobby...in fact I have dated a couple of girls who thought it was childish...

So the question is to girls...Whats your take on this...are comics that bad in your eyes?...i mean its one thing to not be interested...but to be repulsed by it is insulting to the whole community...

Most Helpful Girl

• Things maybe different in India...But I know several women who at least somewhat like to play video games. And I have known several who are really into it. Yes, there are still far more men into playing video games, but there are still women who enjoy it. I also think the girl geeks into like manga, cosplay, etc. may be like your geek cousins - not exactly the same but probably in the same family (or world) and more likely to be understanding of your hobbies. And they may be more likely to participate if they aren't already into it. You may find your dream lady gamer/geek after all :)

Now, what is my take on it? I'm not into it, it doesn't really interest me, and I don't really care about it. It doesn't seem worth MY time. I have occasionally longed for the days of video gaming from when I was a kid. when I was in elementary/middle school, I was really into my gameboy. I went to Game Stop to buy strategy books for my Pokemon games... I am not proud of this.

I can understand why people think its childish because for many people (in U.S. anyway), it goes exactly that way - childhood memories, but in adulthood its on to something else. And you can't really control how people feel about priorities or "adult appropriate activities." My mom frowns on my dads love of techy things and games as well.

I'm pretty sure my dad is the reason I was into video games when I was little, because before I got into the whole "becoming a woman" stage, my dad was my best friend, and because of his work back then, he was the one who took me to school, brought me back, I went to work with him, etc. So we played video games together too. That old ass grey Nintendo thing with the orange gun thing, we played on the sega, spiderman, tekken, mortal kombat, etc. I'm sure that's not what video game nerds these days play, but that was my childhood.

So there's nostalgia, but...I find that its mostly a waste of time for me. I don't think its inherently childish or repulsive. I don't care if the guy I'm dating is a gamer.

HOWEVER. Some of you are obsessed and neglect your relationships for games. My best friend was dating a guy like that. He was into video games and card games. And the free time he did have was spent on his games. He ignored her and he was cold, emotionally absent, and kind of an a**hole. His games were his life, that was the relationship he was in. But after they broke up, he dated a gamer girl. That's for the best. I didn't want my bestie with him and maybe its better for him if he dates someone with similar interests so that his free time can be girlfriend time as well.

If the games are a priority over me, I understand. That's your passion and the path youve chosen in life. But I won't choose to be in a relationship where I'm second to a machine. Its just really not gonna go down like that. So if I try to communicate and you constantly brush me off to play Halo, then I will simply play my own game and delete you from my life. :)

• heheh...even I think guys like the one your friend dated are jerks...n if they are so happy being alone then I don't understand why they even try to date and hurt people...but not everyones like that...kudos to your dad...even I play the best video games with my dad...n sometimes I let him win...he gets so happy...hehe

What Girls Said 24

• Well...I mean...I have never played a video game in my life and have only read a few comic books. I find them dull and rather flat/shallow representations of stories. They're just not for me. My boyfriend is really into video games and I respect that, but he will never get me to play one with him. I would also never go to a comic book convention with him if he wanted to go. Or I might, but I would probably not enjoy myself. I can respect a guy's interests and hobbies, but that does not mean that I would be willing to do them with him.

• I'm very accepting of the guys I date when it comes to their hobbies/likes/dislikes etc. I usually want to find out more about their hobby and why they love it so much and then I see if it's something I'd also be interested in. I think there are a lot of girls who are like me and there are probably a lot of girls who are into comics too; you just haven't found her yet. :)

I for example, am into video games and cars. I always have been from a young age! :) We do exist! But my boyfriend does not have the same love for video games or cars which is strange haha!

• well I guess ultimately may be opposites attract...at least in your video game situation...i m sure you guys must be great together,thnx and njoy...

• haha yeah! :) You shouldn't worry about your likes being accepted by your future partner. If she loved you that much, she'll love everything about you, including your love for comics and video games :)

• Just because I'm not into comics doesn't mean I think they're bad. It's pretty cool that you're proud of your hobby and it shows me that you're happy with yourself. If a girl won't date you because you're a comic and video game nerd, she's not worth your time. Just make sure your love of comics doesn't cut in to your relationship time!

• I HATE comics, can't stand them. I hate the plot, the themes, and just the fact that there are so many pictures instead of text (duh...).

But that honestly does not affect the way I see guys who are into comics, not at all. Comics is, as far as I'm concerned, a far better hobby than alcohol. (taking about the guys who have no other life than alcohol, not everyone who drinks ^^)

Video game nerds are hot. Might be because I'm a video game nerd myself so I *might* be a little biased...

• well ,...if you love video ganes...i must say comic books...(which you so much hate...) are the very inspiration of most of the ones you njoy playing...but like your honesty...n its fine too hate comics...(hope the gods at comicland don't curse me for sayin this/...hehe) but as you correctly said that ain't reason to hate the comic nerds...so thnx...

• I know, but I can hate raw eggs and still like omelette, right? XD

• hehe...u are a very smart girl...great metaphor...

• Should I fix you up with my friend? She's a huge Manga fan to the point of wanting to marry the characters in them XD

I'm not all into comic nerds, but since you said you're also a charming friendly guy and also into sports, I think I'd go for you. It's the hardcore comic nerds that I don't like: people who only likes comic and nothing else. I can't find a common interest with them and they seem to me like they were living in their own little worlds. Just like the computer geeks and hardcore gamers. So as long as you have other interests other than comic nerds, I think you're fine. Maybe avoid mentioning your comic craze when you first get to know a girl, though...

• well you are ryt my life is not all about comics and games...but it sure is important...so I think its worth mentioning...

and fyi...do fix me up...but let her know I m not a manga character...lolzzzz...

or else...u and me...i think a better option...(always dreamt of dating Americans anyways hhehe...)

thnxalot...

• I think they are kind of interesting, I would read them but I wouldn't want them to be a constant topic of conversation. I mean conversations like when one of the two people talking would say amazing facts that don't mean a thing for the other person.

• not constant topics...i meant at least once in a while...thnx

• oh no that I meant the you were going to do that or something like that. just saying.

• A big gamer and I love comics, I've never dated a 'comic book nerd' but I would, we'd have a lot in common

• I love comics and comic nerds. I love how into the comics they get it makes me feel like I'm safe to be my normal nerdy self even though I'm one of those girls who skateboards and plays sports(my friends aren't into comics.) Sometimes I just like to get my nerd on.

• skateboard !...must be cool...not a culture here...i m into cricket...soccer and swimming...

thnx...

• Lol, I love guys who are kind of 'nerdish' =D I don't see anything wrong with comic books. Personally I love reading chapter books instead, but I have Lots of friends who love to read comic books. I don't see how you loving comic books would be a turn off :/ Though I'm not interested in comic books I find your confidence in who you are extremely attractive :D don't change who you are!

• I consider myself a comic nerd hahaaa but shhhh it is a secret! its not cool for us girls to be comic nerds!

• I don't think comics are bad. I've never read comics but I mean they can be interesting. Just don't make you're interests the main topic or priority when out with a girl.

• I like nerds especially computer geeks. I find them hot.

• I would think, "... one of me, ONE OF ME, ONE OF ME" X) I love comics, ask Toban lol My uncle actually runs a comic book shop. My life is pure awesomeness, because my boyfriend and both share love for comics ;)

• wow...looks like you are from some other place like from where wonderwoman comes from...u know?...so please give my contacat to someone from your planet...hehhe...thnx and you are supacoolllllll...njoy...

• Guys into comics are cool, its just not many girls are exposed to comics and stuff and therefore have no idea what there missing out on . once upon a time I was that type of girl , until I sat down and looked into comics ..and now I'm hooked :)

• xactly what I need...why can't they just give it a try...kudos to u...u are the perfect example...thank you ...which is your favorite?

• be who you are but don't talk about it unless she's into that stuff

• Nothing wrong with nerds. They are usually fun people.

• although I never read comics I would happily date a comic book ners

• Comic nerds are uber-hot

• my icon is of batman lol i'd love it.

• No

• Not my scene or my type of guy. Just don't really have common interests and I do find it kinda childish but that's just me

• thnx...respect your opinion...but if someday...u really have nothing to do...please give the iron man movies a try...u would love em...at least for Robert Downey jr...

• defiantly not my style, I am athletic and I love the outdoors, most comic nerds sit at home all day.

• it is a very huge misconception sweety...comic nerds are not all narcissistic and lazy...me for instance, I m a state swimming and cricket champion and president of the trekking group in my college...so you might actually find your best match to be a comic nerd too...

thnx

n guys...no need to downvote her...everyone is entitled to their opinion...i only asked their opinions...

• I think it's cool.

• Well personally I love comics and video games and a lot of the girls I know also love video games and as long as its not like controlling your life or something like that then I don't see anything wrong with it. And in my opinion and a lot of girls I know also believe that comic nerds are quite cute and interesting.

What Guys Said 5

• They exist. I don't know about India (your profile says you're in India), but I know there are some comic geek girls. I found tons of them at conventions, and even outside of conventions, I've personally dated at least three. My current girlfriend is into it. She's read a few of my books, and she used to be really big on X-Factor, Spider-Man and Batman. She even has a small collection of her own.

I guess just keep trying man. They're out there, somewhere. If the girls in India are too uptight about it, maybe ease them into it.

Maybe show them something they might not have considered before. Maybe a movie based on a comic, or show them something that requires real intelligence, like the works of Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, Peter Milligan, Brian K Vaughan, Ed Bubaker or something. Maybe show them something a little different. History of Violence, From Hell, Blankets, MAUS, Invisibles, Y: The Last man, Pride of Baghdad. Things like that. I haven't seen too many people who can read Sandman and say with a straight face that it's for kids.

Anyway, some people will just be closed minded about the issue no matter what. So even trying to ease into it might not help. Still, I've converted some.But yeah, for a lot of people, comics still have that stigma to them. They're still viewed as childish, badly written stories, for kids. It's still seen by many as a childish medium. Some would even say they're not art.

As for what turns some people off, well, there's no getting around it, there is some degree of sexism that still goes on in the medium itself. Part of that is because of the companies, and some of that has to do with the writers. ("Women in refrigerators" exists for a reason, people.) Then there's the fan community as well. Some of the fans are some of the most misogynist jerks out there. Some have a serious xenophobia to newbies, be they male or female (with a slightly harsher prejudice toward the female populous), kind of acting smug or superior to newbies.

It also doesn't help that nearly anything in the mainstream can have up to around 75 years of history behind it, or if not that, could be connected to tons of deep set and interwoven continuity, crossing over between one series or another. So diving in can be hard, because it's not always easy to tell which is the deep end of the pool. Trying to read something big like Spider-Man or X-Men could be really daunting. So easing someone in can be really hard.

Sure, some will still say it's kids stuff, or it's stupid, or it rots your brain, or it's bad for your eyes, or god knows what else. But those reasons are old school, and while they still occasionally stick around now, they're hardly the only reason why comics are difficult to break into.

I'm into them because I had a guide. My own mother! Huge Fantastic Four fan. That helped a lot, and she even supported my interests. So I have been reading these since birth. Not everyone can say the same.

But you, just keep looking, they're out there.

• thnx ,man...that was very nice...n its funny how my mum would consider throwing away my comics...even though I top my class every semester ...

• As a comic book nerd myself, I can attest that is hard to find a girl who is into comics, at least to the extent of having a collection or reading them regularly.

I know that if a girl finds it childish or immature or what have you, they are obviously going to go to the refuse bin. There's this girl, however, who was always accusing me of being a nerd (she never said it was childish, since she is somewhat of a nerd in other areas). One day I was talking to a friend about Gambit and I turned to her and apologized if my conversation was too nerdy. She said it was fine and told me she knew who Gambit was and his specific mutant power, which was, in my opinion, kind of a turn on and I knew she was somebody special.

In my opinion, I don't think you want somebody who is into comics, its a lot more fun if they are somewhat familiar and you can show them and talk to them about them when the chance presents itself and they are able to talk to you about something you are not very familiar with and learn from each other.

• yup...i think why can't all girls be cool with it...as you said I dony need a nerd...i just need a girl who won't mind going for the dark knight rises with me...(a good movie is a good movie...)

n kudos to the gambit girl...

• If they don't like you for who you are, fuck em. I'd rather be alone but true to myself instead of having to change myself in order to find a girl. That is hardly a choice at all.

• they are at the bottom of the chain for women sadly

• i thought so too...but looking at what the girls are saying...i guess we are wrong ...

• yeah but what girls say they want and what they end up with are two different things unfortunately