"Would you date someone who has kids?" is a question I get asked and have gotten torn apart for my answer...

I have seen this topic many times on GAG -- but my question to the GAG community is if you are like me and say "no, I wouldn't" have you been met with a less than pleasant response?

I don't respond with anger or disgust -- I am very gentle about it but still get the 3rd degree for not wanting to be date someone who has kids...

Most Helpful Girl

• I've never answered one of those questions, but if I did I would most likely answer no also. I sometimes have less than popular answers to certain types of questions so I understand what you mean. Honesty is not always a valued commodity when people only want the answers they want to hear on GAG as in real life. While it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, there are a lot of other things that come with them having children that have nothing to do with the actual existence of the children. There are the issues of the other parent (if still living), the relationship the one I would be dating had with the other parent, and the way the children felt about me, to only mention a few. If there is tension between the two parents it WILL eventually spill over into the relationship I would be having with the parent I was dating. If the children are of an age that they might feel I in some way caused the breakup or that perhaps if not for me the parents would get back together, I could set myself up for all manner of problems, not the least of which is being accused of any type of abuse or ill treatment by the child in hopes of having me leave the relationship. If the other parent was no longer alive and/or the children were very young or grown and out of the house, I would be much more likely to try this type of relationship.

What Girls Said 3

• No big deal; I wouldn't date a guy with kids either lol. Not because I don't wanna get stuck with someone else's baby, but because a guy with kids at his age (which would be close to my age) isn't my type of guy.

• I have to be honest I would rather not date someone with little kids. If the kid/s were grown then that's different. If I liked someone enough though and they had kid/s then I would. But in preference no.

• I know I wouldn't unless they are mine

What Guys Said 4

• I've seen this repeatedly on GAG. The down-votes and harsh comments are flooded upon people who are simply voicing a personal preference that is in no way immoral.

BTW, I would date someone with kids, but the eventual outcome would depend, to a large extent on how I bonded with the kid(s) and the behavior of the ex.

• "I've seen this repeatedly on GAG. The down-votes and harsh comments are flooded upon people who are simply voicing a personal preference that is in no way immoral." // EXACTLY! A man with a voice of reason! Appreciate it!

and kudos to you on YOUR choice -- which you are more than free to make! :))

• Women can't stand the idea of even a (hypothetical) man turning them down, so that's probably the cause of their reaction to you.

• You assume its women because it is convenient for your claim, or is it because you do not realize there are many single fathers out there.

• Since op is male, and heterosexual, his question is about the crap he gets when he says he doesn't want to date women with children. It's highly unlikely he'd get a male responding to his comments with hostility. Add to that is the fact that 85% of single parents are women. So while we are all making generalizations, the numbers and logic back my claim.

• 15% of billions is a very large amount. and yeah you assumed.

• Apparently, anything that goes against women's interest is misogyny; so just stating your natural desire of not dating women with kids makes you an evil misogynist, deserving nothing less than a eternal sentence of suffering and rot in hell.

• LOL! I appreciate the answer -- made me laugh, but sadly true!

• Ah, toulouse, I was missing you so much. Of course Men do have kids... and women going or not after them doesn't interest me.

• your particular interest was not in question.

• Is there an element of love. Love conquers all fears and apprehensions. You will date and be in a relationship with a single mom if you love her . If you are just fishing or trying to know whether to/not...most probably you might not like dating her.

• hey bro -- read the question...no one is fishing here...it was a matter of seeing if anyone else had gotten chastised for not wanting to date someone who has kids...Im pretty straight fwd in my question...

• and / or single dads...