When dating do you assume your exclusive

so apparently I missed the meeting where couples have to discus becoming exclusive... I always thought you asked a girl out , that ment you only wana date her...

do you people assume your exclusive, or do you see other people untill you have "the talk"?

• Assume exclusive
  • Have to talk about it
wow some of you people are seriously sleazy

Most Helpful Girl

• If the words, "Will you be my girlfriend?" come out of his mouth, that means we're exclusive.

What Girls Said 11

• you have to talk about it, its called communication. You should never assume that you and the other person has the same understanding as you because that is how you end up with a big missunderstanding. some people don't even belive in relationships so unless you ask the person what it is they are looking for or their intentions, you may never know, unless they offer that information. find that out from the beginning because you could be seeing a girl thinking that she is capable of falling in love with you when she really is not and she just wants to f*** a whole bunch of dudes.

also relationship-wise, you have to be able to comfortably communicate, as bad as you may wish that people could read minds, most of us cant. So you have to use your words and untill you learn how to say exactly what it is you want you will always get yourself in situations where you are let down because you had high hopes for a person who did not even know that you had high hopes for them.

• also I would get asked out by different guys, we just go out to eat, talk get to know each other have fun. If I concluded that a guy was not boyfriend material (what I need in a boyfriend) then I would not keep seeing him and leading him on. I would go out with a guy one time and tell him I had a great time but I never guarantee him that we will go out again, I don't see the point in constantly calling a guy if I'm not interested in him either so you have to leanr what it is you want and how to s

• sieve through the people in order to get what you want. That is what dating is. People go wrong when they feel like they have to treat everyone they are not interested in as best friend forever instead of just an associate because thoes friends will keep you from getting to the guy/girl that you actually really want by trying to take up your time and making you look unavailable. I eventually met a guy that I really liked and he was the one that I continued to see and eventaully became my boyfrien

• and the more I kept seeing him, the more we got to know each others and we talked aboiut our future, family, goals, wants, needs in a relationship, what we don't like in relatinshiops and we agreed that sinse we both have an understanding of what each other wants then we decided that we both makje a good choice for each other. When you date, don't think so hard, have fun seeing multiple girls but make sure you know what it is that you are looking for so that you don't get yourself into drama.

• Lol @ "i missed the meeting". If a man personally asks me to be his girlfriend then we are exclusive.

• You have to talk about it! Especially since the answers here are so different !

I think it's alright to date others until you've each told each other that you are exclusive.

• 100% If a guy/girl asks you out then you and him/her are only seeing each other in my opinion. There are so many terms for seeing other people now - 'friends with benefits' for example... if this were the case then I'm sure he/she would point it out. If they cared about you at all, they wouldn't want to hurt you surely?

• When he ask... Or I ask.

You never assume, it's not safe to assume such thing.

Some talk about 'Are you seeing anyone?" "Are you talking to any other girls/guys?"

I don't care who they're talking to, until I feel like I want it to progress into something more then I would like to talk about where this is going, where we stand... Then go on from there. And eventually, he or I ask.

• I guess you should never assume,

...but in my experience I've never had "the talk" with anyone, it's OK to be seeing other people for the first few dates, if they go well and things keep progressing, I've always assumed exclusivity, to me, after a certain point, after you've crossed certain lines, it becomes a case of exclusive unless expressly denied.

• there should be option C: You just KNOW! If the chemistry is right, and you guys are into each other, get personal. I think its safe to assume. But if you aren't sure you trust the person yet, talk about it, and see if they want to be exclusive or not.

Dont assume or get overly excited. That would just suck if they ended up to be seeing other people.

• It is never okay to assume.

• defiantly exclusive... I guess people feel they need to discuss it... that seems weird to m.

• I never assume. Not because I'm the sneaky one who's trying to date around on a guy. I find in my experience I had guys try to do that to me. I know not all guys do it, but regardless of gender, always play it safe, and never assume!

Each gender has done this!

For instance, the guy I am dating right now, he considers me his girlfriend. However, he doesn't consider me serious enough to make it Facebook official or introduce me to his friends as his girlfriend :S Wierd, I know.

Although his friends aren't stupid, so of course they assume I am his gf... so I don't know.

But it's always good to have good communication.

• I don't see other people when I'm dating someone, but I know some of the guys I date might be, so I don't assume we're exclusive until we discuss it.

What Guys Said 7

• I was always under the impression that if you met a girl and decided to ask her out, that this was a casual event. Its a date, There are no commitments that bind the two of you together other than those moments that you do spend together on the date. At the end of the date, then you both go about your lives and if she decides to date another guy the next night, then she is free to do so, just as you are free to date another woman.

After enough "casual" dates, you determine that you really like this girl (assuming she likes you also), and you want to perhaps escalate things a little by focusing just on her, you can discuss with her about not dating others. If she accepts, then you both are dating exclusively at that point. Of course not all men and women would agree to exclusively dating unless they entered into an official relationship. Dating without commitment really needs to be discussed by both parties so you both know where each other stands and both have a good idea that the next step will most likely follow.

If you decide to enter into a relationship with her, and you ask her such, and she accepts, from that point you are exclusive by default, because you are in a committed relationship.

• In all my time I've never had to talk with any of my girlfriends about exclusivity. It's always just been assumed in my relationships that once we start spending time outside of the typical dating scenario it's exclusive. I've never had any problems with this.

• If we were dating I would assume it's alright for me to date others until we had a talk. Be careful with this!

• PoeticNinja is right. Never make a assumption of any important decision. First rule of relationships, communication is key. It will feel awkward the first few times you have "the talk" but the good news is will get easier to say and knowing what to say. Communication is very important for most woman. (like 99.99999% of woman). They will always want to know how the relationship is being defined. Plus, some woman like that they are being courted and wooed. It is romantic to formally ask a woman to be your girlfriend. Some lessons I have learned. (of course I am single :(

• what does 'ask a girl out' mean?

There's a difference between asking someone you know well to be more then friends, and asking someone you know more casually out on a specific date.

• My personal motto is not to assume any exclusivity unless it has explicitly discussed...so I assume a girl I'm dating is seeing other guys as well in the initial stages.

• When I say "seeing", I'm talking about pursuing guys, dating guys, kissing guys, and/or being sexual with guys.

• no. since I had to learn the hard way eight years ago. especially if you are a guy, since women are never straightforward and always indecisive; especially in these types of things

• Assume? Never assume anything, especially when it comes to females.