Am I one of "those chicks", as my teenage son says?

Is it in any way normal for me to be dating this guy for over 6 months, but he never acknowledges my existence to his friends? He gets invited to weddings, art shows, etc. all the time but I am never invited. In fact, he specifically said he was told he could not bring a "plus one" to the last wedding he attended... He says he just doesn't discuss his personal life with anyone, and that I'm being overly sensitive...my son is 17 and he says that means he still wants to be free to date other girls, and that I'm being treated as "one of THOSE chicks"...

Most Helpful Guy

• It doesn't sound good. But there really are people who consider relationships to be personal and don't discuss it with anyone. I definitely don't think you can conclude it's because he is seeing someone else.

When you say he never acknowledges you to his friends, do you mean literally? Like they don't even know about you? If that's the case then it seems pretty extreme. If it's just a matter that they know about you but he doesn't provide any detail, then there are lots of people like that.

The vast majority of guys I know don't talk much about their SO unless I'm good friends with them and also know their wives pretty well.

People are just different and I don't think you can conclude anything unless he volunteers the info.

What Guys Said 7

• I have to agree with your son; clearly the guy doesn't want to make your relationship "public", and unless he has another good reason for that (and such reasons exist, but when they do, the guy will usually explain the reason very early on in the relationship), then I can only imagine that he's "trying to keep his options open."

You should talk to your Boyfriend about this ASAP and get his side of the story.

• I don't know what one of "those chicks" refers to, but your son is absolutely right. You're a friend with benefits. And he wants to be free to date other women.

• What do you mean by "one of those chicks?" What does that mean? Are you looking for LTR? Sounds like this guy isn't

• Well, it seems like he's just in his puberty.

• yup, its OK most women are just one of those chicks now days

• That sounds unusual.

It's totally possible he was told he couldn't bring a plus-one to the wedding. But after 6 months he should have taken you to other events he's gone to.

• I've been to a guest of... oh hell... 20+ weddings? Nobody ever says anything about forbidding a +1. Sometimes they say RSVP, and that is where you add your plus 1. Its generally appropriate to bring along an S/O as long as you don't have more than that in tow, even ad hoc. Who would make a big deal about that on their wedding day, a festive day?

So, he's probably lying to you about it.

Bad news. You're one of those chicks.

What Girls Said 3

• 6 months is a LONG time to be with someone, and not be introduced to any family or friends. Do you guys ever go out of the house to do things, or do you always stay in? I'd start paying closer attention to those details, he's either not that into you, really does keep his dating life private, he's married, or he's dating other woman as well. I'd be leery. You don't have to put up with his behavior though. Tell him that you need to be involved in your boyfriends life, and that if that's not the type of relationship he wants, it's time for you to move on.

• well to be blunt your son is right...as much as that sucks so show him that women won't accept being treated this way once they realize they're being played and dump this loser you're dating.

• Honestly I think you need to get out of this relationship. After 6 months, he should be wanting to take you to anything he is invited to. Stop and ask yourself why is he not taking you? Is he taking someone else? Does he not want his friends to know about you? A guy who truly cares will include you in his life and will take you around his friends.

• thats not exactly true, he could really care about you but not want a serious relationship for a number of reasons

• Yes, you are right. Thanks!