A study shows 35% of US marriages started with online dating in the last 10 years. Good or not?

I'll save my own opinion. I was surprised that the figure was so high.

I can't vouch for how scientific the study was.

What are your reactions?

If someone can fnd the actual study please tell us where to find it. I just read a newspaper article with some of the more interesting findings...
I should say that, as T. says below, 'online dating' in the study means any cyber contact, discussion forums, chat groups, etc., not just eHarmony and the liike. Only about 10% met on actual 'dating' or 'matching' sites.

But I think it's still through online introductions..that's a valid way of categorizing how people met.
Can someone plese ratre the question already?

Most Helpful Girl

• That's a high figure. I don't like the sound of it for me because I don't think I'll ever do the online dating thing. I'd feel like there's something wrong with me or something that I can't meet a guy in normal day-to-day life. If I bumped into someone who saw my profile I would feel so embarrassed. I know that would mean they also have a profile but still, I think it's more OK for a guy because they can pass it off as wanting to get laid. Also wouldn't want my profile to come up if someone did an internet search of my name. I don't even use my real name on Facebook.

I did jokingly create a badoo profile for two days after talking about the badoo craze with friends and I was dared/nominated as I was the only single one. I don't think it's a nice environment from a girls perspective. You're instantly bombarded with messages and you kind of get the feeling it's a sex hook-up site rather than anything else. It was like being the only female in a busy nightclub.

• Can you rate the question, Cold?

• Done but what's the benefit of getting a rating?

• It just recognizes the effort we made in asking a question. Without us asking questions, there wouldn't be a Girls ask Guys

What Girls Said 5

• I met my boyfriend online, and wouldn't have otherwise (he's from Germany and I'm from Brazil), so, yeah, I find online dating amazing. xD And though it wasn't through a dating website ( we weren't really looking for a relationship...actually we met in 9Gag! Hahahaha) our thought and ideals do happen to match.

I find dating websites are great, because then you know who is available, how are their looks, and what are their ideals without having to waste time dating someone who's the opposite from what you're looking for.

Online dating in general allows you to meet people out of your social circle, and even outside you freaking continent! To find a good match, I had to cross the atlantic. Not sure I could find such a great one here. ^^

About this study, I'm pretty sure this was made up by e-Harmony. If 10% of the Us marriages were caused by online dating, I'd already find this a too big number.

• In this study, gag would qualify as 'online dating'. They included every kind of chat group or discussion board in 'online dating.'

• Idk,I read about the study in a newspaper. It definitely wasn't an ad for eHarmony.

• Well, in my country, the e-Harmony ad says that. "Study shows 35% of the marriages of the Us are fruit of online dating". Idk, chances are this was made up by a dating website and the guy of the newspaper considered it as true. Or maybe the scientist were paid for manipulating the results, and the newspaper to divulge it... Many chances of corruption there. =p Still, it IS something growing and the question is valid. ^^

• it doesn't really matter how you meet the love of your life,online is just another option

• I personally would be depressed if I had to resort to online-dating, but meeting people online can probably be a good thing since couples are probably better matched and this could lower the chances of divorce. 35% seems like a lot, but as long as people are still finding love it's all good!

• meanwhile divorce rates have doubled...

• I'm currently dating someone I met online so I think its absolutely fine!

What Guys Said 10

• I guess I was surprised by this statistic at first and then thought that it makes sense. Online dating hasn't been around all that long so they must be applying this rate to recent marriages. I'm not sure if it's good or bad but I think it's something of a social necessity for many people. Americans work too hard and have less time and energy for social relationships. Older working people don't have the social networks we once had. Apart from people in the workplace, we just don't meet a lot of people. Have you noticed how many of the questions here involve someone at work?

I met my wife through a dating site. I never would have met her otherwise. I also made several friends online when the romance wasn't there but there was plenty of room for friendship. It's a decent way to meet people if you're careful.

• The study showed about 22% of marriages involve people met at work, yes. Most people spend their waking hours there, and as you say, we work to hard and have so little time outside of work...

• My reaction:

There are two marriage obstacles:

1) Many marrying-age Americans lead an emotionally reclusive existence (a cycle of work - consumption - shallow friendships) not conducive of forming compellingly strong bonds.

2) How a society judges one's standing, the media, the sense of entitlement raise everyone's expectations - basically until your biological clock is beginning to run out, many people are looking for better than their match. An overweight, sloppy dude with a meaningless job and a worldliness of a basement rat, wants to land a hot chick to impress his friends. Meanwhile she wants to land a sports star or an industrialist, to get the hell out of Milwaukee and to never be seen with a last-season Birkin.

• I mostly agree with you,honey, but you're not answering the question about online dating..!

• Neither. It is just how it is.

Since you didn't show us the study, how are we going to assess it?

Even if that was the case, I think it's neither good nor bad. Yes, there may be a small percentage that are scams. And yes, it's also possible that some people date only to find out that they have no attraction upon seeing the significant other, thereby ending the relationship.

But to me, I would never use online dating, because it would be very hard to find out the morals and values of a significant other, much less observe her day-to-day actions and see if she can practice what she believes in. So I don't know about the people who it works for, but I think that it wouldn't work for many reasons for people who seek deeper meaning in life.

• I don't know how to find the study; the results were published in a newspaper article. I'd like to read the actual study myself if someone can fnd it.

• I understand. Sometimes that happens to me too. I read a study and think it's good, and then can't find it later. But still, if this is true, then you'll need to find a few more studies, because if the results show up repeatedly, that means the evidence is more likely to be true.

• I found one copy of the article. The 35% refers to meeting online, including social media, chatrooms and forums. Only 45% of those were online dating websites. This makes more sense. Unfortunately I don't know how to add links yet. If you search percentage of marriages met online you'll find dozens of articles. I didn't seek out the original study.

• Yes, they define online datikng as any cyber contact, chat room, forums, discussion groups, etc. Not just actual 'dating' sites.

But I think that's valid; look at the woman above who met her boyfriend HERE, on gag!

• I think 'online dating' is more bad than good. It's substituting real, human interaction with fake interaction.

• It's not where you meet that matters but where you end up.

• I think this will finally shut up those girls who say "oh, internet dating is for losers" or something of the sort. They have to realize, we live in the 21st century now

• Online dating is something that is worth trying, but it should never replace meeting people in real life.

• Talk to me in 10 years and tell me the divorce rate.

• Isn't there a study saying like 70 percent of online marriages don't end in divorce? Or maybe match.com commercials are tilting lol.

• This study showed that, at least in the first few years, there's a slightly lower divorce rate for online marriages, but this study naturally only covered the first few years of marriage.