What's the difference between these two: dating and long-term?

Like on a dating site when it say what the person is there for some profiles say dating while others say long-term. what's the differenec between the two? don't both mean the same thing?

(the site I'm referring to is pof btw)

Most Helpful Guy

• Dating is not exclusive. Long term is.

What Guys Said 5

• For dating you just go on a date. That's it.

Long term means you are looking for a long term committed relationship.

People who choosing dating aren't necessarily looking for long term. It's kinda a mix between platonic friends and a relationship where it's not exclusive but you're not "just friends."

I personally would avoid girls who mentioned "dating" as I tried for long term when I used to use POF.

• 'Dating' usually means someone is open to one night stands or fwb, or similar arrangements.

'Long term' means someone isn't interested in such relationships. They want someone who will commit...

• Dating is not necessarily long term, but implies more then just hooking up. Like there'd be actual dates and may or may not be exclusivity. But it may not be marriage-auditioning.

• To me, long-term implies an exclusive commitment where 'dating' means that it's not exclusive.

• Yeah sort of. I think "Dating" implies you're looking more for fun than love, as in dating you get to know a lot of people, some romantically, some not. LTR is a more serious commitment, as in they're looking for someone to be with for a long time.

What Girls Said 2

• Dating, especially with men of this day and age, means they want someone they can f***, be sexual with, and cuddle with who is most likely momentary in their life. Long term means they actually want a relationship out of it.

• dating is more carefree and open, could mean friends with benefits.