Can two people who work together date?

I am 18 and I work as a lifeguard at a water park. There is this guy named Tom who I hit it off with our very first day last year. Now its our third summer working together and things have been getting more and more flirty. We never used to hang out outside of work except for one time we met up at a hockey game and talked for about a minute or two, but now we have been hanging out (going out to eat after work, getting water ice, going to a movie). And the way we talk to each other now is just so much flirtier than usual. Nothing has happened yet because I'm afraid that if we start dating it will interfere with work, but I don't want him to think I only want to be his friend because I really like him.

Would it really be inappropriate to date him?

Most Helpful Guy

• For a lifeguard? You don't really work 'together', you're in separate chairs, and you don't usually have to worry what other lifeguards think, do you? It's not a gossip mill like an office would be, and I doubt there's any established policy against dating other lifeguards, right?

So what's holding you back? Nothing I can see!

What Guys Said 10

• You should be fine. Unless either one of you is in any type of leadership role, you won't have to worry about favoritism. Seeing as you're a lifeguard, you're only working their for the summer, so if you think it may interfere with work later on, it'll only be for a couple of months.

• Dating people you work with is only a bad idea if one of you is the boss of the other, or if you two have to work really closely together (ie. same team). Imagine you two had a messy break-up, would work become unbearable? If yes, I'd avoid dating them, but if you think there are ways around it (like you don't work too closely together, changing shifts, enough other people around to avoid each other etc) then go for it.

• As long as it doesn't interfere with your job, you should be able to date your coworker.

• I know plenty of people who met at their workplace.

But if you guys break up and still work in the same area...I can only predict immense awkwardness.

• IN this case I think it's OK, it's only messy when one is the superior of the other.

• Workplace dating I see. In my view, not advisable. If you both split, it can feel very awkward being around each other @ work. However, I would date a girl if she worked for the same company I work for but in a diff location, however not side by side

• I think you will be OK.. Keep it private and personal, though.

• Yes but thing can get hard if you break up.

• it's not unusual

• Nope. Plain and simple.

What Girls Said 1

• I have dated plenty of co workers! Its fine trust me it always turns out ok!

Just keep your private life separate from your work life.

I even had a guy at my job when I was 17, we left together, came together and were always up each others butt, he even walked me to my car everyday and we texted all day during school, people thought we were dating, isn't that cute? But, we never did and I lost my chance because I didn't think he was into me, so don't let this pass by girl!