Are first dates always so awkward?

So this guy asked me to go biking with him, so we set up a meeting place. the first like 20min were so awkward. we biked through a trail, and the trail was nice but the atmosphere just felt so weird. after that though it was more relaxing and conversations flowed more nicely. but I don't know why it was just so weird at first. when we were saying bye it was also a bit weird. tried giving hugs but we were still on our bikes so that was a bad idea. but he said he wanted to go biking again.

is it normal that is was so weird at first, and should I go biking with him again?

Most Helpful Guy

• It is normal, there's basically a big elephant in the room, that you both like each other. Yet no one wants to express that. Usually after that first kiss is when everything finally gets less awkward.

After a while though, you realize that you need to push through that awkward beginning and try to not make it so, by not putting pressure on the situation and just relaxing like you guys were just hanging out.

What Guys Said 4

• Yes, it's normal for the first date to feel awkward. Don't dwell on it. Why not go biking again?

But do something else as well..it's hard to get to know someone when you're both on bikes! Kind of hard to communicate, after all.

Try packing a picnic lunch and stopping in some scenic place next time!

• ya I was thinking about that. I think next time I'm gonna ask to stop and maybe tie up our bikes and go to a park or something. or even just sit on some benches along the path.

• There you go, I'm sure you'll have a good time, although the guy sounds AWFULLY shy. Still, sometinmes those are good and honest people, they just are inexperienced with girls.

• If you're not very experienced with dating and you don't really know what you are looking for, I think it's perfectly reasonable to be nervous on a first date. Was this your first-first date or your first date just with him?

• first ever!

• You're perfectly within reason. First dates can always be awkward, but especially so if it's your first-ever date with anyone. You're entering completely new territory. You don't know what he wants, the kind of potential girlfriend you want to be, and you may not know what you want. You're preparing yourself for a unique kind of relationship, but you don't know how to. You have all sorts of reasons to be nervous.

• yes, it definitely was a confusing experience, although I do want to see him again. I'm just hoping it was awkward because of the fact it was a first date and not because we just don't 'match' well. thank you for the advice!

• yes it is always like that when you are first getting to know someone. Things will go better on the second date!

• Yes, always.

What Girls Said 1

• it sounds to me like you both were just kinda nervous around each other. That's kinda cute my exboyfriend and I were like that a lot. If you like him then you should go biking again. By the way first dates usually always are like that they feel weird because your nervous.

• Hopefully it won't be like that next time! thank goodness I'm not the only one!