Would you date someone with a child?

I'm 19 going to be 20 this year. I've had a short friends with benefits relationship with a good friend of mine in January. sh*t happened so she got pregnant. High chance that its prob mine...

I was really negative about the idea of having a baby in the beginning but after a 2/3 weeks I started seeing lots of positive things about it. So I decided to support her with the baby and raise it together. (not like a couple but like separated)

One thing that I'm just wondering is if girls would think that this is a turnoff. I know that if someone really loves you that she would accept it. But I'm just curious how the general girls thinks about this issue. Since the kid is also a part of who I am after all.

So would you date someone with a child when you're 18-22 years old? ;)

Most Helpful Girl

• Would you date someone with a child?

No I'm not interested in single fathers as I find them to be the epitome of the typical male and I have no interest in playing mommy to an offspring that is not mine no matter how short it likely is to be as I find most guys do very very very little in their role as fathers.

"One thing that I'm just wondering is if girls would think that this is a turnoff."

Some gals will however I doubt gals in general will as it seems there is far more negativity and stigma around single mothers than fathers just take how nicenthic responded on a rant about single mothers when the QA is a single father.

• Well the reason that I was curious is because the baby will be my nr one priority :)

• @QA

Yeah it may be suited to keep that to yourself as I doubt that going over well with gals as it seems gals like to be the number one priority.

What Girls Said 5

• I personally wouldn't. I love kids to death, but I'm very religious and while I try not to judge, I have to assume that a guy my age who has a child probably doesn't share my values on sexuality. I'm sure some girls will probably accept it, though. Congratulations on your baby though, I'll pray for a healthy delivery!

• I wouldn't because I don't want children and wouldn't be willing to care for it as if it were my own.

• it depends, I wouldn't really want to because I would rather have a boyfriend right now that doesn't have any big responsibilities like kids.

• I wouldn't want to meddle into a situation like that, it would be too complicated

• i don't think I would, I know it's not my kid anyway but I think it would bring too many problems

What Guys Said 3

• I have gone on a few dates with a single parent. Some can handle their kid situation and others can't.

I know of one single mother who is all drama and had a kid with someone who disappeared. She lives with her parents and doesn't work full time and moved in before with a guy who beat her up and goes online dating guys who screw her once and disappear. I don't have time for that.

I know of another single mom who is insanely opinionated and works two part time jobs and has a kid with someone and she's in her early 20's and is stuck at home with her parents too if I am not mistaken.

Upper 20's and onward it starts becoming more and more common but the people are much more mature compared to the lower 20's girls I have met.

Personally I avoid single moms at all costs now because a lot of them have ex-drama, custody issues, and a lot of them are just looking to move in with someone and mooch off them so there is a lot to watch out for.

• No. Too much drama.

To put it simply, did you ever see moneyball? When Billy found out his Ex & her husband(?) gave their 12 yr. old daughter a cell phone his 1st remark was "A 12 yr. old with a self phone? That's a big parenting decision!" The man said nicely, we can talk about it if you like, Billy said "HER MOTHER & I WILL DISCUSS IT!"

That is what it's like in real life too.

• So its like a situation of a kid with divorced parents.

• Yes, BUT if there is still a lot of contact with the mother & she's being well... difficult.

That makes it harder.

• A single mother is a woman who had a child outside of any established relationship, or a relationship so fragile the thickest retard in the world ought to have been able to see bringing a child on board was a F***ING TERRIBLE IDEA. Single mothers are bona fide idiots and here is why you should never even consider dating one:

First, this is a woman who clearly doesn’t give a sh*t about her child’s well-being and future prospects. Children of single mothers do poorly on every imaginable scale: they have more emotional problems, experience more stress, are more likely to grow up poor, they have lower educational achievements and experience way more behavioral problems than children who grow up with married parents. Depression, suicide, drug abuse, jail and psychiatric medications are all more common in populations of children raised by single mothers.

Second, single mothers are clearly really, really sh*tty at making life decisions. Having a child out of wedlock is pretty much the number one thing you can do to f*** up your life. You can pick up a heroin addiction, drop out of high school, rob a bank or decide to write the great American novel financing yourself on your credit cards. All of those things can be fixed. You can go to rehab, get your GED, get parole, and pay off those cards. But once you have a child, you cannot take it back. It’s done.

Third, single mothers profoundly misunderstand men. There are few men who are overjoyed to spend their blood, sweat and tears on some other guy’s genetic offspring.