Is Henry Cavill the best Superman to date?

I've given people about a week to see Man Of Steel, I figure now is as good a time as any to ask, if Henry Cavill is the best Superman to date? I'm not talking movie, I'm talking performance. Purely based on his acting chops. What do you folks think? If not him, then who was better? Where do you rank him among the rest?

Henry Cavill (Man Of Steel)

Brandon Routh (Superman Returns)

Tom Welling (Smallville)

Dean Cain (Lois & Clark: The New Aventures of Superman)

Gerard Christopher (Superboy)

John Haymes Newton (Superboy)

Christopher Reeve (Superman I - IV)

George Reeves (The Adventures of Superman)

Kirk Alyn (Atom Man vs. Superman)

(Don't worry if you haven't seen them all. Just list out of the ones you did.)

Best answer goes to those who give a yea or nay on if he's the best, give a ranking of best Supermen, and their reasons why.

See also: link

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• It's kinda hard for me to grow out of Christopher Reeves as I knew him as Superman growing up and for so many years, also following his hardships as a real man, made me really feel like he was a true man of steel and not just on the silver screen.

Henry Cavill is just a revamped version for a new generation, who indulge on spectacular special movie effects.

Henry Cavill can be the most gorgeous actor man on the planet with a great superman package, but he can't replace my allegiance to Christopher Reeves who portrayed Superman in 4 major motion pictures. if you ask me Henry Cavill is acting in the shadow of such a great man and won't make more than 1-2 more superman movies.

• btw, regrettably you were right about Injustice gods among us. Lame lame lame. That part with Lex Luthor just ruined it totally for me.

• I can't truly judge a sequel either, not until it's out and I've seen it. Still, I think I can predict where this will go, and how good it will be. My expectations are in the toilet. Not because of Affleck but because Man Of Steel already F***ed it.

• The impression I got is that you liked Man of steel? So why do you think they f***ed it?

What Girls Said 4

• the crown will always belong to Christopher Reeve, because he's so iconic, but I think Cavill is definitely a close second.

• Interesting. What do you find so iconic about Christopher Reeve? (Not that I'm arguing.)

• I don't know, but that is a good looking man :)

• I will always love Christopher Reeve (RIP) but I think Henery Cavill made him proud

• im going to watch it for sure, henry cavill is a great actor and I have loved him since the tudor's

• So you don't know, yet, huh? So what about the other Supermen? link

• Tom Welling is too much of a babyface for me to see him as a hero, but I guess we have to agree to disagree on that one. Cavill is actually taller then Cain like an inch or so.

• Physically I think he grew into it. But the babyface was apt at first, since it was supposed to be about a young Clark. As for Cavill and Cain's height, I guess the measurements I got in the past were wrong then. (ugh) You never know with these things. Either way, six foot tall Supermen are short.

What Guys Said 4

• Currently? Yeah. The guy's got the looks, speech patterns, and overall attitude to represent the Man of Steel.

• Well, I can't really discuss future supermen, now can I? Unless you mean out of all the people playing him right now... then there are none. So I mean out of everyone so far.

• Christopher Reeve is easily the best Superman ever! I did enjoy Henry Cavill's performance though.

• I have yet to see it, but I think it depends on the overall era and the age range of the fans who have seen the film. Personally, it's Christopher Reeve for me, because he nailed the role. As for his alter ego of Clark Kent, who would have suspected that the bumbling, unconfident mild mannered reporter was the Man of Steel?

• I don't know if I'd say that, but he did a REALLY good job.