Online Dating Experience for Men

I hear a lot of guys on here complaining about how hard online dating is for men. Obviously I imagine men tend to be the pursuers which is what normally happens offline as well. Is it really worse for men? Maybe because so many people on this site are closer to 21 than 30+ the site is biased. I read that on a girls early twenties she gets the most attention but once a girl is over 26 they no longer get more attention than the average male (still a little hard to believe). Supposedly at 40 something men get twice as many messages. If you look at the paid sites like e harmony and chemistry there are close to twice as many women as men. The only site I saw that had more men was plenty of fish. Are the men complaining on here just 18-24 year olds?

• Online dating is better for women
  • It's easier for men
  • It's about the same for either sex

Most Helpful Guy

• " Supposedly at 40 something men get twice as many messages."

That hasn't been my experience, as a 40 year old.

"If you look at the paid sites like e harmony and chemistry there are close to twice as many women as men."

Yes, but consider that the men are the ones doing the approaching. In the online world, just as the real world, the women do f*** all initiating.

Even if there's 1000 women and only 100 men say, statistically each guy will send out something like 5 opening emails to a woman in the upper half of the population.

That means that on average (even in this extreme scenario) every girl in the top 50% of the population gets one opening email.

In the real world, the numbers are nowhere near this biased, and women get a metric f***ton of opening emails. Men get none, and as a consequence of the amount of opening emails, reply to about 10% of them.

• thats not true with eharmony. the girls messaged me first like 50/50

What Girls Said 6

• I'm wondering if the reason paid sites have more women is because women are more willing to pay for the opportunity to try to find themselves a match?

• If you count the number of messages, then women obviously get more messages. But I have one problem with this: Most women do not get messages from their target group. Most messages 18-25 women get is from men over 40, which is just f***ing disturbing. Most messages they get from men their own age are booty calls. So it's hard for everyone.

• I don't know...I mean, I have used OkCupid, and ONLY the crazy girls ever responded to me, despite the fact that I am going in in a fairly relationship minded fashion, I'm f***ing hilarious, and every message I send is at least somewhat thoughtfully composed.

Keep in mind, I'm a guy who is rarely single and gets lots of dates in real life.

Meanwhile, every girl I know who has used OkCupid has met some cool guys through it.

• How do you know the messages from men their age are booty calls?

• Aww I guess it never crossed your mind to actually send a message instead of wad through hundreds...

• Online dating is dangerous.

Realize your dreams darlings.

• online dating is better for women because there are more men out there

• Statistics show it's about the same. There are 88 unmarried men in the US though for every 100 unmarried women and it gets more extreme the older you get. Statistically there are far more women on the meet a millionaire, and sugar daddy sites, as well as the serious sites like match and eharmony. There are a lot more men on the ethnic sites, the cheaters sites and sites like date in Asia. If you want to check it out link

• it is hard for both sexes

• online dating can be as hard for men as it is for women

What Guys Said 7

• nop, I'm 30 and it sucked balls...all I got were tons of messages from ugly women that I had no interest in. And ones that I actually thought were cute, were ( most of the time ) either uninteresting, or just didn't reply back. Just go out of your house to shopping areas, plenty of women there...

• Voted C. I think there's a lot of accuracy in what you say.

The other issue of course is that girls who are unattractive probably know why they're ignored and have some idea of what to do about it, but a lot of guys are pretty clueless about how to make themselves more attractive.

If you suck at real-world dating, online probably won't be radically different.

• My experience with online dating has been pretty bad...but I don't have very good pictures. Just a couple of selfies. People take pictures of me, but I've never really been too interested in getting ahold of them.

Other than that, though, I mean...I'm tall, fairly humorous, not too full of myself (okay, that's a lie), and haven't EVER murdered anyone, so I should be rolling in chicks, right?

In all seriousness, I do a lot better IRL than online. I actually date cool, smart, intelligent, put together girls by meeting them in real life. I've only ever met crazy artist girls via online dating. Maybe I just need to market myself better.

• I'd say 50/50. It all depends on how you chat with the girl and if you meet her requirements lol.

• Dude you'd be surprised at the age of guys that complain. I've seen it all plentyoffish myself on those forums. A 45 year old was harping left and right saying "All women here want male models Blah blah blah" it was annoying to say the least, especially when he posts crappy pics and a boring profile, gee I wonder why he dosen't get responses? lol

So anyway, I called him out on his whining in the forums and gave him advice, next thing I know I got an email from him. He accused me of following him in the forums and started calling me names. Funny how you try to be helpful and it comes back to bite ya

• 18-24 year olds don't have a lot of money yet that's why they complain

Girls on those sites are usually looking to settle down or go into a committed relationship.

If I put my salary at 60k vs 30k I will get 5x more hits.

Use your brain. The younger the girl is, the more hits she will get. The more money a guy has, doesn't matter what age but older men usually have more money, the more hits he will get.

Funny girls don't care about money though >_>

• Online dating is WAY better for women. They hold all the cards.

• If your an average guy with decent pics and a profile that's humorous, you'd be surprised at results.