How can I ease my mom into the fact I am dating?

I am currently dating my 6'6 European boyfriend he is German, Scandinavian, English, and Sicilian. I am 5'1 and Filipino, Chinese and Mexican. Just a bit of Mexican since grandpa was Mexican and Filipino. And my grandma was the same mix. Anyways being Filipino and family is very strict. They expect me to date when I am out of college and expect me to being someone Filipino home. We talk about marriage (we have been together since junior year and are in our 20s). But I feel like my parents should know I am in a relationship with someone outside my race. But I am afraid they won't accept them they are harsh and racist. I don't know how to ease them into that topic without picturing my dad grabbing the shoe and hitting me. He has a slight English accent too so I also am afraid of my parents thinking he has a speech problem. Any ideas on easing them into this? Did you have a similar problem like this how did you deal with it?

Most Helpful Guy

• you just have to tell them. Tell them you want to be honest and that there is a boy you've been seeing for a while. You want them to get to know him and then maybe invite the guy over.

I've dealt with it although I was in your bf's position. I don't think there is much easing into it. It just has to be addressed and happen. It may be tough but ultimately you will have to get your parents involved at some point for the relationship to progress

What Guys Said 5

• They probably suspect something like this already Pick the most understanding person in your family and the most open-minded, and tell that person. Ask them to break the news to the others in the best way they can think of.

Then, through that person, you'll know the reaction of the rest of the family and can be prepared to explain it to them, if you think you CAN explain it to them!

• Just invite him for tea some day. They'll be negative until they've met him. After that it will be a question of mutual sympathies, antipathies and understanding the other. He'll no longer be the unknown stranger. It can't be much worse than this: link

• I'd just tell them to mature and accept the fact that they won't dictate what you do or don't do anymore. You are already an adult, so your decisions are your own, not theirs. And if they can't handle it then you can tell them to sod off. And why would you listen to your father anyway if you think he'll hit you for something like this? If a man hits his own daughter, then he is quite the scum.

• 5'1 and 6'6?

God DAYM.

• Well in high school I used to be 4'11 and he used to be 5'8 that's when we first met haha

• If they really care about you then they'll understand, if not then all they care about is they're traditions and rules.

What Girls Said 2

• just try and talk to them one by one and say you have met a guy that you really like.

• just tell her occasionally about you dating other races, so she can get used to the idea then just tell her afterward that you are dating somebody