Is dating pointless? The definition of it seems to have changed.

Is there really a purpose to dating? It just looks like an excuse to spend time with someone hot and to have sex with them for a while before deciding you want to do that same thing but with someone else. Then you just continue dating and dating around, wasting time until you find someone you really like and then you try and test your luck and try getting with them.

You can have your mind made up about someone before beginning a relationship I believe. Of course it can change after experiencing some time with them, but to me, it just seems like dating has taken on the meaning of temporary, casual sex. Is there really a point? Instead of finding someone worthwhile and seeing where things go, seeing if there's a future, like in the old days, it seems purely temporary now to most.

Does anyone else see this too? See it this way?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I noticed this, and I don't like it either. That's why I will wait as long as it takes for someone really special to me.

What Girls Said 5

• I definitely feel that there are a lot of people out there that feel that way. I'm one of those people who actually wants a relationship. I don't want to just sleep around. But unfortunately I keep finding guys who say they want a long-term relationship, but then after meeting and hanging out, they only want a FWB situation.

I think people just need to be upfront and honest about what they want in a relationship. Don't settle for something that you aren't happy with.

Try to save intimacy (sex) for later down the road if you can. Doing it too soon will lead to only getting hurt.

• I think if you date someone for the right reasons, dating does have a purpose. I think you should only date someone if you can foresee a future with them with the possibility of it leading up to marriage. The guys I've dated I've gotten to know them all as close friends first, before making that jump to dating. You're not alone in your thoughts and I see where you're coming from as society plays a huge role in what we see and how we think. Don't let these sluts or man-whores ruin the way you feel about dating! I believe they will be the ones getting older and finally wanting to settle down and think, "Damn why do I always end up with the same type of guys/girls?"

• Yeah I have never dated anyone to be completely honest. I've tried and failed, but while some of my friends have dated tons of girls, none have ever been the type of girl that I look for, so hopefully maybe given some time, I will have found someone, but it will be more about quality over quantity if that makes sense, as in, they will be able to see that too. Hopefully they'll be like "how in the world did you land her?" lol because they've been known to give me a hard time about girls ahaha.

• I agree with quality over quantity, all I've ever known are serious relationships that I don't know if I could date someone for just one week or one month etc. it feels too weird! I tried once having a fling but at the end of the day it really f***s with your emotions. One day you'll meet a girl and think "I have to have her!" and you probably know what you'll need to do then. It all comes down to the way you feel about the girl and none of your friends can force attraction. Hope you find her soon!

• I knew a girl like that a few years ago, and that's what I was referring to when trying to date and coming up short. But yeah I just "had to have her" then, and even now I still pay an emotional toll from it all. Everyday I deal with the sadness and disappointment and regret from that situation on some level. I really hate it. lol

• I see it, and I get it. And, hell, I've dated plenty of people who act like that. But it doesn't mean I do... And though I agree that in general, that's where it seems to be headed, don't assume that's everybody. There are plenty of mildly attractive people who actually want to find someone who can make them happy... Don't give up hope if that's what you want.

• That is what I want, and I think I'm at the very least mildly attractive. I hope... haha

• i don't think it is

• no, it isnt

What Guys Said 1

• It seeems like it's just like hiring an escort more and more, except yu have to make bids for it..other guys may want to pay better than you!

I gave up on formal dating in my teens for this reason, and never looked back