Are you afraid of using the telephone?

All I read about on here is confusion caused by communication that is solely reliant upon text messaging. Why is everybody so averse to using the phone? I use SMS all the time; I understand how it's very useful, but not as a primary medium for conversation. I can't help but feel that many people use it as a barrier of protection so they don't have to fully express themselves or reveal how inarticulate they are. Fair?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't like texting or calling, but if it's a choice between the two, I'd choose texting.

Calling someone is an immediate demand of their time. What if I'm in the middle of something? What if I like talking to you for a little bit, but don't have an excuse to hang up the phone after I'm done with the conversation? I feel rude lying and saying that I need to go do something. Most people I know that call tend to want to talk for hours and hours, often about themselves, just to fill the time. I like catching up and all, but I don't have the time to sit around and heat up my ear with the phone listening to people jabber on and on.

If all you're doing is calling me up to arrange a time to hang out, great. But usually, it only starts with an excuse to call and turns into a full blown conversation. I'd be very happy to give you my full attention and talk for hours in person when we hang out and are doing something fun. I can plan ahead and give myself as big a slot of time as you want to relax and catch up. But if you are going to put my entire day on hold and prevent me from getting things done, that's annoying. I can't plan for that kind of interruption.

Therefore, especially if a person has a history of hijacking my time by wanting greeting every one of my "I need to go" statements with "ok, ohh before you go, one more thing"s, I will NOT pick up the phone. It's rude to do that, yet everybodyyyy seems to think it's ok.

Texting is much better, because I feel free to answer your individual questions as I have time/inclination, but can stop responding whenever I feel like it.

Speaking face to face is my primary medium for conversation. There is no substitute, so I'd rather take texting...the thing that is the less demanding time-waster of the two.

• Now THAT I agree with: some people are completely inconsiderate of other peoples' time and only want to talk about themselves - you have to keep the at arms' length (thus text).

However, it may seem more considerate to text while in the company of others, but it's almost more annoying that you prefer to jump back and forth between conversations. I would rather you excuse yourself, finish that conversation, and then be present for the rest of our time together.

What Girls Said 4

• I hate talking on the phone because I can never understand what the other person is saying, I have bad hearing and have to wear a hearing aid.

• Well come on, obviously your situation is different. I can fully appreciate the fact that talking on the phone is difficult for you, and that you would prefer some other way to communicate with people. I'm just talking about younger people that shy away from having to use complete sentences or keep up with the pace of a face-to-face conversation.

• But even before I got the hearing aid, I just hated talking on the phone

• yes I get pretty uncomfrotable even with texting.

• well I just feel awkward talking on a phone call and not knowing when to hang up

• I understand that you can let a text conversation fade way whereas you can't do that with a phone call, but doesn't that just create at least a little bit of confusion? It seems like this generation of young adults prefer social confusion over being outside of their comfort zone.

• wlel I agree haha.

• i am not afraid of it

What Guys Said 3

• i prefer using a phone instead of texting, although sometimes I have to be in stealth mode ( at work). talking is so much easier than typing constantly, texting is actually kinda annoying.

• I agree there are a number of situations where it's useful. By the way, love your profile pic, lol.

• If I have a lot to say to someone, I'll make a phone call and talk because that's the one time it's faster and easier.

• It's a generational thing. Boys and girls these days use texting because it's often cheaper, and they can avoid awkward gaps in the conversation.

• Yeah, I see that it's the younger crowd that uses it as a crutch. They don't have to think on their feet anymore.