Would you be willing to date/marry an atheist?

So people...the question is simple. Would you be willing to date/marry an atheist even if you're very religious? Also, please note that person never objects to your belief, its just that he/she doesn't believe in God.

Being an atheist man, I'm finding it extremely difficult to find dates because almost all woman around me are overly religious, and they openly say that they are willing to date men of other religions but never an atheist.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, but I also am an atheist. I'd also date a guy who was religious, providing my atheism not be an issue, and that he not push his beliefs on me. Religious discussions are fine, but I don't want to spend our whole relationship debating who's 'right' and who's 'wrong'. It's irrelevant to me. I believe what I believe and everyone else is more than welcome to believe as they believe, just don't hound me with it.

Most Helpful Guy

• Unknown...tough question. It REALLY depends on how much I like her when were dating!

What Girls Said 20

• No. The truth is that I believe in the dating world Atheism is viewed as someone that does not believe in anything...and you know what they say about people who don't believe stand for anything...will fall for anything. Whether it is true or not it is just the perception. What is a woman to believe is your moral compass if you can't demonstrate something/anything that you tie your beliefs to. Makes you seem ambiguous and possibly unpredictable. Again, not saying it is true but it may be the perception that is making it a bit difficult.

• Just because you are not religious does not mean you are a good person. I was raised correctly, I do good things and follow my morals for me, and no one else.

• Hi AliceMcKay, as I stated, its not that this is the truth but it the possible perception of some people and may be what he is encountering. Another example, nothing wrong with someone that does not have kids right however if you were stranded somewhere with two people and you knew that one of them had kids and the other did not which one would you think would most be motivated to make sure they did whatever it took to get back home...the assumption would be the person with a family. Same thing.

• As an atheist you do not have a particular understood practice so someone dating you would have no idea which way you would stand on certain things whereas if you are tied to a certain religion based off of the knowledge of the religion you can already presume certain beliefs. Again I say, not saying it is right but it was happens and may be happening in his situation.

• No way. I found out in my last relationship that I need to be with a guy who shares my values and beliefs. And there's concerns about the future, too... Will he be okay having our wedding in a church? Is he willing to raise our children as Christians? Will he ever convert to Christianity, or will I worry my whole life that I won't be able to spend eternity with him?

• I dated an athiest (perhaps even neo-athiest) for 3 weeks and broke it off due to clashes in what we believed in.

• Yes, I would. I'm not a religious person. But if I was I would also date/marry him. People are free to have their beliefs.

• I think they equate atheists with freefalls and hedonists.

• I honestly wouldn't consider myself the religious type, nor do I equate myself in the belief of god. So, if there ever came a time where I was dating a guy and he just so happened to be an atheist, by all means do you, I could care less.

• yeah, I wouldn't mind. I mean, I'm not a religious person, so it's fine

• I think I would that is if I were religious in the first place.

• Hmm that is very strange, most people I know are not religious, do you live in a small town?

• I'm from a third world Asian country, where almost everyone is very religious, and atheists are viewed as outcasts.

• Oh I see, then I guess that it would just depend on how religious they are. Best of luck.

• yes

• To be honest no. Me and my whole family are believers of Jesus Christ.

• i would. but im atheist too so maybe that's why.

• no

• Haha it's interesting...I used to think I would never want to date someone who had a different religion or religious view than I did, but I don't think religion should get in the way of two people who could really connect, be in love, and be happy and great together.

Religion isn't the only or the main thing that defines who a person is IMO.

I might not fully comprehend his religion, but as long as neither of us argue over our opposing views, I wouldn't matter what his religion is...as long as he doesn't worship Satan or is in a cult or something.

• not unless he lets me race the kids with my religion.

• Let me guess, you live in America?

Most everybody is so downright religious there it's scary. Come to a society like Australia where it's normal to be a non believer.

Funny to hear religious people sounding so narrow-minded, comfortable in their own little cliques..

• Nah, not America. I live in an Asian third world country.

• No, just because I'm a Christian, I would want to date someone with similar beliefs. I'm not judging anyone for their beliefs or anything, its just my preference.

• obviously, as long as he respects them it is fine by me

• yes, I would!

• Yes

What Guys Said 4

• I couldn't bear the nihilism.

• Yes I would.

• Yeah why not. As long as she wouldn't push her atheism on me, I'd be fine with it.

• No, I wouldn't be interested, atheism itself is an incoherent belief system, it's a logical contradiction to be both an atheist and rational so imagining trying to have a conversation with her would be a useless argument whereby everything has to be rejected rather than understanding facts but atheists try to push their beliefs down your throat without a basis so would just turn into hell, I like to study atheism to understand their beliefs, quite an interesting read was andrew flew whom is notable as the most prolific atheist of the 21st century that for over 50 years would debate against God until he figured out how irrational the belief truly was upon learning more about science rather than scientism and converted so I personally couldn't date one. I could very possibly date an agnostic

• Atheism requires demanding evidence, questioning even widely accepted practices.

It is not incoherent, it doesn't require you to reject everything. You just don't accept things based on faith. It is much more logical than other belief systems. Read about "Russel's Teapot", and you will get the simple logic which atheists use.

• Look up the definition and there is evidence but atheism is not agnosticism it can't be accepted. Youdon't know the difference