Do you always need to officially "end" a texting convo?

Like if you are texting a friend, crush or SO do you always need to say stuff like: g2g, ttyl, bye, goodnight etc.? Or is it OK to just stop texting back?

Or is it rude not to tell them you are done?

• Yes
    50% (4)25% (2)38% (6)Vote
  • No
    50% (4)75% (6)62% (10)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
8|8

Most Helpful Guy

• I just feel that people will think they're being ignored if you don't end the conversation and it's nicer to say goodnight or give them a heads up.

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 7

• Nah the texting just kind of ends after a while.. If I have to abruptly leave I may say I'm going to bed but that's it.

2|0
    0|0
    • Ok, cool. I don't wanna be rude, but sometimes I either don't know what to text back or just don't feel like it. lol

• Eh my friends don't seem to mind and they seem to be the same way.

• not always but it's nice to let them know they don't have to hang around waiting for a text.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you want them to like you more, mix it up. Leave them hanging about twice as much as you give them a nice goodbye. Maybe more. It's kind of cruel, because you end up messing with their emotions, but if they like you a little bit this might make them like you more.

Otherwise I say, do whatever feels right based on the situation. If you're having a pretty in depth text convo, it's best to end with something. If it's casual, just don't answer when you're done talking, or answer the next day.

1|0
    0|0
  • apparently but I do it all the time :P

1|0
    0|0
  • I just stop responding, that's all I'd expect someone to do with me.

1|0
    0|0
  • never, I just stop answering.

1|0
    0|0
  • I prefer an actually end, but I don't think it really matters one way or another. I think it just wraps up the conversation better.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• Depends on the flow of the conversation. If it's pretty constant/instantaneous response from both sides, I usually end it w/a formal goodbye. If not (if it's inconsistent, taking them several minutes to give even a short response, if they seem busy, etc) then I just let it die.

1|0
    0|0
  • If there is no natural response...

I don't respond...

Some people understand it(me?)

Some get pissy...

1|0
    0|0
  • i feel like it's better to end it to avoid miscommunication or confusion.

2|0
    0|0
  • I do like 60% of the time

1|0
    0|0
  • no I don't usually do it.

1|0
    0|0
  • no, as long as the person doesn't leave me haging in a question or something like that I don't care

1|0
    0|0
  • no I do whatever feels natural, sometimes I will sometimes I won't.

2|0
    0|0
  • I prefer it actually end, just so I know.

But I've gotten used to people just not responding anymore, haha! That's apparently what everyone does now, nearly everyone.

3|0
    0|0