Dating a girl with a child.

So I was hanging out with a friend the other day and he brought his girlfriend along and she brought her daughter along and I never pondered the idea of dating a girl with a child, but it kind of got me wondering. I think just as long as the child is like at least a couple years old it would be OK. Then again I wonder if I'm getting in over my head. I guess the two problems would be the baby daddy and also, would that mean I would be dating a girl who is always held back? Like for example would she still be able to go to college and get a nice job or is she going to have to stay home and care for the child all the time? I guess it depends on the girls parents. Any thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• Every scenario would be different. Like you said age would make a difference. Like if the child has day care and school. The mom's age at pregnancy would make a difference if she is successful or held back and also what her dreams are...some could at least do part time school and work online. Everyone has a different level of support system as well. In almost all cases what you can expect is having a harder time of making and committing to plans. Unless your comfortable with spending time around the child, and if she's comfortable with it. Again this would depend on the type of relationship the couple decides to have. If its serious or laid back. In some cases the ex will be an issue and in some it wouldn't.

In my case I have a three year old. His grandmother takes care of him during the day a few days a week. Besides her we have no other support system. At the time of pregnancy I had to drop out of college right before my internship, so it has held me back some. I do get government support, but the father doesn't help out at all or gets involved, therefore he doesn't interfere with my relationship.

What Girls Said 4

• you will have to be more patient and try to hang put with her kid too.

• I think you should just try it and see if its for you.

• i think she will have other priorities and it will only add more drama to your relationship. You should really think it through before doing anything

• Kids under 5 don't usually under the full picture or see things the way you do.

If I were the parent I would wait years until I introduced my child to anyone

(unless the child was very young and incapable of understanding the bigger picture).

Let's just say I were to date 5 people within a year...would I want to surround my kid

with all these 5 people that could potentially be serious partners, but arent?

No, I would wait until I know this person is going to stay in my life before I introduce

them to anyone.

When the kid is really young it really doesn't make much of a difference (because

the child does not know).

But when you make a habit out of bringing anyone around your child early on,

that usually stays and doesn't change later on.

To be on the safe side, even though the child may be very young I still wouldn't

bring someone I am not serious about around him/her.

• Also, before entering this relationship (if I were the opposite party)-The man with no kids dating a woman with children. I would make sure the baby's father isn't from hell.

What Guys Said 3

• More importantly, she won't be interested in casual dating, since she is looking for someone to help her raise the child as her first priority, whether she openly says so or not! In that sense, you're probably in 'over your head' with a mom...!

• that could be too much drama

• I would say, don't date her. It's a burden on you. There are so many girls out there without children. Pick one of them.