is it illegal to text sexually suggestive material?

I just turned seventeen (last week) and my boyfriend is fifteen (about to turn sixteen, in a month and a half). We sort of text sexual fantasies to each other, I was just wondering if this constitutes as legal or not. No pictures, none at all, just the texts themselves. The answers I've found conflict with each other, so if any of you have better knowledge on this subject that the guys on Yahoo!...that would really help. Also, I live in New York and he lives in Georgia, if that helps at all.

Most Helpful Guy

• You're both under 18 so I highly doubt there would be a problem, describing sexual fantasies is protected free speech...

If it ever comes to pictures that's when things are a bit less clear, I know for sure if he sends you a nude picture after you turn 18 you can be charged with possession of child p*rnography. Describing fantasies MIGHT constitute corruption of a minor but only if one of you is 18 or older and, let's be honest, unless one of you goes to the cops about it how are they going to know? The NSA isn't interested in that kind of stuff (yet).

What Guys Said 4

• Nah, that's pretty much alright. You should be free and clear on that. A: You're probably both minors, and B: talk is talk. That's about it. It's not like you're saying anything illegal. It's not threatening or defamatory. It's just a little steamy. Don't worry about it. Now if you sent pictures, it would have been a different story. You should be fine.

• ur good for just words lol the man can't bring you down on tht one and as long as the phone account is in your name (not your parents) pics might be good too... I believe...

• Once you turn 18, it will be sexually texting a minor. Just be careful since then if he wants to he can sue you for it

• From a quick scan on Wikipedia:

Age of consent in New York is 17

Age of consent in Georgia is 16

I think sexy text messages are not a big deal at all.

I have lived in California all of my life, and I've been in a mental hospital full of teens (when I was 17 lol) with authorities figures around. A girl talked about how she liked to give handjobs when the movies played at night and the adults didn't say anything other than "hey, knock it off". The handjob actually happened later and all they did was send me and the other girl to different wards...it was more of a hospital policy than breaking the law. Neither of us were charged/arrested etc with any sexual crime.

If we were caught with that and didn't get in trouble, I think your chances of getting in trouble with a text are close to 0%

What Girls Said 4

• No, that should be fine with just texts. Pictures on the other hand are more of a grey area so I wouldn't advise that. Although even if you did send pictures, unless one of you goes around showing other people, there's really no way for anyone else to know.

Me and my boyfriend started sexting sophomore year of high school. Lol Of course, we're both over 18 now but we are also very private with that stuff. Neither of us went around showing our friends what we talked about or sent each other. So, you guys should be fine, you just need to be careful and make sure you can trust him with things like that.

• If you're both underage then no. Just some two cents for you, if it ever does become sharing pictures make sure you really trust whoever you send them to because once they are sent you have no control over who sees them or where they go. Even if you fully trust someone, things happen, they could be so upset with you and its an easy way to hurt or humiliate you.

• if you are both underage that's kind of like child p*rnography and it can get illegal quick, especially if you guys break up and someone spills the beans

• no becuas eobth are underage.