Why did this guy spill his secrets to me?

I've been talking to a guy I met in January and I'll admit, I care about him a lot and have a weird connection towards him. I've always felt comfortable around him and feel like he is who I'm supposed to be with. However, I'm not sure how he sees me. In person he acts like we're dating (argue, hold hands, he'll pay for everything, kiss me in public, talk about anything, etc). Even his close friends from years ago tell me (when he's not around) that he likes me. But when we are apart (we live in towns a couple hours away) he barely makes an effort.

Recently, I texted him to see how the event he went to was. He had been drinking quite a bit earlier that day and later in the evening he started spilling emotional secrets as well as apologizing for his behavior. It was mainly about his ex girlfriend dating someone else (she broke up with him after 3 years in December). He said no one knows except for me now, and he seemed very upset and sad. I tried comforting him and supporting him and saying I will always be here to listen, etc. I oddly care for him a lot, I haven't known him long, yet I feel so strongly about him (unlike any other guy) and I don't mind helping him and listening to him.

Why is he telling me his deep secrets no one else knows? Am I just a friend to him or does he see me as more?

What Guys Said 1

• I think he has some emotional issues. That ex-girlfriend thing, I think he needs to figure that out before he can date anyone else. But, definitely be his friend through this. Love him, as a friend and help him. I'd wait until he was a little more stable and committed to you before you get too emotionally involved yourself with him.

What Girls Said 1

• well he has big issues and he needed to vent so you where there and he felt like you would b eone.