How long to wait to get married?

My girlfriend and I are both about 30 years old. We have been dating for 7 months and have a strong connection. We talked about getting married and both want to. I may go away for a year or so to finish school. If I go she wants to wait to get married until we reunite. Why do you think she wants to wait if I leave? Wouldn't getting married make her feel more secure? And in general how long should people date before they get married?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think there is a set time to wait as such but it is really early days for you guys at the moment. One thing I will say is marriage doesn't give you security within a relationship. I really do think you guys would be wise to wait. It can take years to really get to know a person!

What Girls Said 2

• Seven months is much too soon. You have the rest of your lives together, so why rush it? Personally, I would want to wait at least a year (I'd prefer 2 or more years) before getting engaged, and then another year before we get married.

• well becuas ehse doesn't want to be married ot someone whos not there, and what if the connection burns out after a year appart?

What Guys Said 1

• She will want to wait if you leave because things happen. You can end up finding a new job opportunity when you leave to finish school and not want to come back. Plus one of you could(while this would be bad obviously) have an affair and this will cause a divorce which is 10 times more of a pain to deal with compared to a break up.

I honestly think a couple should be together for at least two years and have lived together for a year to ensure that they are compatible and not just get married and move in to find out they want to rip each others' hair out. It is much easier to go through a break up compared to a divorce.