Girls: If you like "old fashioned dating" do you want an "old fashioned marriage?"

I see girls saying they are old fashioned and such and prefer "old fashioned dating." Now I wouldn't such a girl looking for something old fashioned be looking to become a "stay at home housewife" and such? I would imagine that a girl would be offended by such a statement though. But shouldn't an "old fashioned" couple be leading to an "old fashioned marriage?"

Most Helpful Girl

• from what I've observed It seems that women are referring to old fashioned dating "the testing period to see if a relationship will bloom." Meaning that the man pays for the dates, the woman doesn't engage in sexual activity until there is commitment and a "bond". Once a relationship is started, then their behavior as a couple is more in line with modern times.

Women who want traditional relationships, usually want traditional marriages. Ex- Women who wait until marriage to have sex. Women who don't pursue a career/education, but a husband.

You can usually tell a womans preference on a traditional relationship vs a traditional language simply by talking to her. A woman who believes that a man is the head of the house hold and a woman is the tail, will more likely be in favor of a traditional marriage. A Woman who believe that men and women are equal will most likely not.

However this isn't a rule of thumb. There are plenty of modern/feminist women who choose to be SAHW and choose to be submissive to their husbands, simply because they want to and prefer that relationship dynamic. It really depends on the woman, and what she wants.

*Side note, in todays economy its practically a luxury to be a SAHW. the cost of living is rising above the average wage. Most married couples have to work simply to make ends meet, with our without children.

but If you're interested in a traditional marriage/relationship, its simply best to ask the women that you're dating. They'll tell you if they're down for it or not.

What Girls Said 11

• Sure. I like old fashioned dating where the guy is a gentleman and does all the courting stuff. I don't demand it, but I respect a guy who does it. If we could afford it, I'd love to stay home and take care of the house and kids while my husband works. Who would want to pay someone else (a nanny/babysitter) to watch your children grow up instead of you? I'd rather do it myself.

• Old fashion marriage is more about values, its about staying together, if something is broken fix it, marriage shouldn't just be thrown away when its broken, loving someone is a choice, you need to choose to continue loving and working on your marriage. I think that's what old fashioned marriage is. It's very hard to have one parent stay at home, as much as my husband wants to give me that, I'd rather be around as much as I can in the first couple of years of the child's life and then go back to work. My husbands argument is that child are is so expensive there's almost no point in having both at work. I'd go back to work because staying at home I'd go stir crazy. It's hard because old fashioned marriage means different things to different people. It's probably best to check with whoever you're dating as to how you both see your future together rather than just using labels with multiple meanings.

• I'm not interested in "old fashioned" anything.

• I think by old fashion dating, women usually mean a guy picks her up (or they meet). He takes her out to dinner. They hangout, have fun, then takes her home.

Not like a "hey, let's go hangout at my house and do it" type thing.

But no, I don't want an old fashion marriage. An old fashion marriage isn't economically feasible these days.

• old fashioned dating means the guy would make an effort to pursue the girls, bring her to somewhere nice and then send her home at her door . Old fashioned marriage to me means be together till you become old.

I like both :) but not stay at home housewife . I don't see stay at home houswife as part of the above, maybe to me couples should both be working to support a family unless there are special circumstances that make the wife stay at home.

• Yes, I like old fashioned dating and yes, I want an old fashioned marriage

• I'm in dental school at the moment. It takes a lot of work and I will give my early twenties to this goal. I'm not incapable, or lazy and I am getting this diploma and will maintain my education and skill level my whole life, in case I am forced to work by circumstances life puts me in, or in case I raise my children and have too much extra time on my hands (be it part, or full time). I do like dentistry and all that comes with it though. If it happens that I have to work, I'd like to be able to have a good job to fall back on.

I love learning, figuring this life out, teaching others what I can and studying the world around me. I can certainly claim I am smarter than 98% of girls my age (and 90% of those older as well) I have ever met, and am on par with the intellect of the remaining 2%. I don't doubt there must be smarter women than me out there and I know many men who are, but I have no need for fake modesty right now.

I want an "old fashioned" marriage and "old fashioned" dating.

I want to be pursued, protected, cared for. I like men who are masculine, dominant, who lead and take charge. I love men who want to provide for me and treat me as a woman, not their "equal" in power, but in worth. I love men who are intelligent, calm, fair, rational, strong and kind and know how to correct anyone who steps out of line with them (even if that person is me).

I know that I can only be sexually attracted to a man I deem superior to myself and whom I see as my leader and protector. (Like all women) Many women keep repeating they want to be "treated like queens", yet leave out the fact that all of them want a king by their side, not a butler.

Women also deter from this idea of gender roles, once they confuse their level of education with their intelligence. And then they (since they are already pretty stupid) confuse a high level of intelligence with affinity towards a masculine role their culture (read feminism) has pushed them into.

The second reason is this innate fear of feeling inferior to men. This fear of being inferior also comes from their misguided assessment of ones own self worth. They have no idea what femininity really is, so of course they don't know that they are just as valuable as men and that has nothing to do with them being as powerful as men.

And since I'm on the topic: We're not. Women are neither as smart, nor physically or emotionally as strong as men in fields our society values. (That bring money and make action movies.) Women have beautiful minds, but in a different way.

Lastly I want to stay home and make my house into a home, make my children into decent respectful people, make my husband into a happy and a supported man. I want to have enough energy and time to fill our world with beautiful smells, colors, smiles and warmth.

I won't fear my husband to guard myself with "my own money". I don't find happiness in being rich. I also have nothing to prove to a group of idiots people like to call feminists.

• I personally dont

• yea I would love that, I'm totally old fashioned.

• Most women end up having a traditional marriage but they work too.

• That's fine with me, honestly.

But I don't want children, so staying at home would be kind of boring. Maybe I could do some volunteer work or maybe work part time if he prefers me home. I really don't care. Whatever we BOTH decide :-)

What Guys Said 3

• There's no such thing as old fashioned dating. Until the last 100 years or so, most marriages were between neighbors; a lot were more or less arranged by families; and certainly girls were 'protected' and not allowed to date the way we do today.

Meat market dating is a pretty new phenomenon.

You point out an interesting conundrum. Very few people who want traditional meat market dating want an 'old fashioned' marriage where the female has very few rights.

• Girls want their cake and to eat it too.

In other words, they want everything but not what comes along with it.

Western women < foreign women

• I think many women prefer old fashioned dating (which is a tradition that will stand the test of time with many women because they were raised to believe that a man should court a woman) as long as they can continue to have the options of the modern day woman.