He broke up with me over texting. What now?

This is what he said over text:

"I have been thinking about us for a while and I think we should take a break. I have some issues and I don't think we share as much in common as I was originally hoping. Your are a nice person and I don't want to lead you on further."

I haven't replied because I have no idea what to say. He was so nice! He had a slight player vibe, but I figured that was only because he was so good looking. Idk, he was never a guy to open doors, walk a girl to a car, but I let it slide. We went on 5 dates.. he never called, texted or anything unless he wanted to make plans.

What do I say? Anything? This is so awkward.

I sent this to some:

His reason for not wanting to date anymore:

He wants to date an artist (since he is one), someone who doesn't drink (even though he drinks socially), someone who cooks and someone who's interested in the penny arcade expo's... pretty specific. I work in healthcare, suck at art beyond belief and I drink haha. Why did he date me!?

Most Helpful Guy

• Nothing. He showed that he's a complete puss for breaking up over text.

• Yeah, what the heck? It was going really well. I don't know what more we could have in common. We could stay up all night talking too... about anything. Isn't that what people want in relationships? Someone fun to spend time with that they can share things with and talk about anything with? Maybe he's right about having issues.

• Getting super hot is a good plan. Of course, then a better guy will come along and you'll kick yourself for ever entertaining thoughts about this dingus.

• He texted me back and he was super nice! So maybe there is hope after all! Yeah, you're probably right... I'll probably have moved onto someone else, but at least the motivation is there! I was going to join this gym anyway, so I guess he's just added motivation really.

What Guys Said 3

• First of all,why would you date a girl with a player vibe? Tsk tsk.

IMO he dated you because it was convenient and he doesn't like being single.

• Yeah, you might be right. It sounds like he's dated quite a bit, but calls it off really easily. It's so strange to me how one day a guy can be crazy head over heels for you and then 5 days later completely change his mind.

• You went out on 5 dates. It wasn't like a long term relationship or something. You weren't what he was looking for. Move on.

• nothing is best

• Nothing at all? I like the girls comment at the bottom. Idk, I think I should say some last word... not something bad, just idk, make him feel guilty for what he did. I really don't get how we didn't have things in common. We so did! We liked almost all of the same things. He was into art and I'm into science, but that was our only big difference. On Friday, I went to his place for the first time, we just couldn't stop talking. It was really fun! I don't get it. Isn't that what people want?

• idk about that... I think I just wasn't the girl to bring it out in him. He has a corny side, it definitely came out.

• yeh... under duress.

What Girls Said 5

• Breaking up over text is to me a coward move, as he didn't even have the courage to face you or even speak to you over the phone. It is good that you are not with him.

• Ugh...happened to me too. forget about him move on and be happy...that'll say enough :)

• Oh my, maybe you were dating my ex-bf!

I wish I had read these replies back then. At the time I replied with "Lol, ok", which he wasn't very happy with and just went on to turn into a bigger drama... Just don't even acknowledge his text.

I liked the part "don't want to lead you on FURTHER", like he's actually a good guy, but an idiot at the same time.

• Hahaha yeah. Last Friday we went out and he was like you haven't told people about me... and I was like yeah, I told all my friends and my brother... and he was like yeah, my brother knows about you too. What happened in a week!?

• Lol. Nothing changes either way.

• he's for sure an idiot with horrible grammar and he can't kiss worth anything.

• If you want him back: Don't text him at all. Not texting him will make him wonder if you even really cared and then it will possibly make him regret and change his decision... because remember, people want what they can't have!

If you don't want him back: text him, get your last word in, but be polite... word can travel about how you treat others.

• Idk. I'm not sure. I had a ton of fun with him... we could talk for hours! Who doesn't like that? What I didn't like about him... never gave off the boyfriend "I care about you vibe" (yanno, the cute texts, the I'm going out of my way kind of), never opened doors, never walked me to my car, I felt like he put down his brother to make himself look good? Idk. I'm not sure. He was a very bad kisser too. Worst ever haha. So idk, maybe I'll give it some thought this weekend? I enjoy his company..?

• I do still kinda want him back :/

• Alright, I finally wrote him back today. I was super nice. He was super nice back too! I said maybe in a month or so when things have settle down we can hang out again as friends. I told him about a cool event in town too. he said thanks for the heads up and good luck with my job. He even used my name and an exclamation point! Maybe not ALL hope is lost. Maybe only mostly, but oh well for now

• Ugh, man I would've texted some snark remark ha ha good on you for not replying. Breaking up over text is just cruel. I think you should just say what you want to say so you get it out of your system it can be 'I hate you' or 'I really liked you but you do what you got to do' but be honest, you deserve to have your last say.

• Yeah, I think I'll make him wait a few days. I might try the "you're a really nice guy" approach to make him feel extra guilty... yanno, be super nice to make him feel bad lol