Why is it more socially acceptable for older men to date younger women?

If a 50 year old guy dates a 25 year old girl he is cool, but if it is the other way around people have more of a problem with it? like what!?!?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think its acceptable for both older men and women to date younger as long as everyone involved are adults

I think its just more acceptable because people are more used to it. Its more common than a 50 year old woman dating a 25 year old guy. Plus a woman's youth is a big part of her beauty but a man's youth isn't a big part of his attractiveness.

But personally I would not want to date a 50 year old guy even a 30 year old guy would be pushing it. None of the girls I know who are in their 20's would even consider dating a 50 year old lol.

What Girls Said 26

• Yeah, I totally agree with you. If you think about it its "COOL" either way for a guy.

An older guy gets a young beauty with an in shape body, that likes to have fun.

A younger guy gets an older babe that has had more experience and is mature. Also known as a MILF.

In this situation it seems like the women get the short end of the stick, and gets judged.

If you're way younger you're known as a GOLD DIGGER.

If you're way older you're known as a COUGAR.

So yeah guys atmre defiantly the lucky ones in this situation.

+ its kind of the same way with sex. If you're a girl and you have sex with a guy you're know as a hoe, if you're the guy that she had sex with you get popularity points.

I have no clue why its like this. Maybe even though us women have accomplished a lot over the years having to do with equality with our fellow men. It seems like we're still haven't reached that milestone.

Even though no one wants to admit it, some guys act like they're still in control, that they wear the pants in the relationship. That us women are below them.

• My 22 year old female cousin is in love with a 56 year old man. But, they don't pursue a relationship, because of societies views about it. A lot of the people that know, think she's interested in him for money. But, she's not.

• Well being double her life is excessive but personally I seem to like guys a few years older than me and guys a few years older always seem to like me more than guys my own age. I think it is OK for anyone to be together, within a certain range. I think it just looks a little odd for the older woman to be with the younger guy, especially with how women mature mentally more quickly then men.

• In my world it's not cool for a 50 year old guy to date a 25 year old girl. I'd totally judge them, both of them. He's a horny old bastard and she's a grave robber slash gold digger slash slut with no taste. Sorry, but dating someone your father's age is just like dating your father. To me anyway.

• You're not wrong there. I wouldn't date a 25 year old if I was 50 but I do prefer younger men. And I really don't care if anyone has a problem with it. I don't think a 50 year old guy is cool for dating a 25 year old I just think he is having a mid life crisis.

• 50/25 is not cool in either gender. Women naturally tend to want men a bit older than them just like they want men bigger than them. It's supposed to make them wiser and hence better protectors or something. I don't know it's just how we're wired but there's a limit and 50 may be 20 years too old for a 25 year old.

• because it is expect of men to want a younger body and expect for women to want a man who is experience as in old don't mean to offend ..people are just ironic and goofy above all ignorant I'm including myself so no one should be going all hulk and that's my opinion

• forgot to mention women are expect to want an older man so they can be financially supported

• Yes it is. I think the general idea for a fifty years of age guy who goes out with a much younger girl is because they (girls) make them (old guys) feel young

• technically it shouldn't be weird, but generally men are considered the dominant one in a relationship, like they are supposed to be bigger, taller, stronger and older.

• Actually lots of guys think cougars are cool

• I think its weird either way. That big of an age gap, but I don't want to completely say all relationships like that are not genuine, but most usually are.

• Because it's a male dominated world, and for men sex is positive.

• It's totally different for a little boy to date a old woman than for a man to date a younger woman, you can't compare that.

• My boss is 53 and his wife is 31, and I think it's gross.

• Yeah, idk why...

• It's society, it sucks..

• I have no idea. I hate how that's a thing. There is this really cute sweet mature guy younger than me by 3 years.

• It doesn't make him cool. It makes him creepy for going for a more innocent woman. And the other way around its bad too.

• Because women value a mans opinion more than a man values a women's a lot of the time. Guys can date younger women and have there buddies would be happy for him but if he had a girl that is a friend she would most likely be disgusted but he probably wouldn't care because his guy friends are mostly supportive

• Because younger males are immature as fuck.

• That's always how it's been so traditionally it's acceptable

• Really?

I see the cougar/dirty old pervert double standard a lot more.

• It's a stupid double standard.

• It's been more common for a lot longer. Eventually, it'll be just as acceptable for women to date younger men. It just takes time for society to get used to new-ish things. Cougars are fairly new, as far as being out about it and what not.

• Men's sexual desires seem to be more socially acceptable, whereas women are supposed to suppress their sexual desires. Most women do prefer partners close to her own age for sex and companionship, but some compromise on these natural desires so they can have something else: security, money, etc. Most men don't age as well as they think...

• because women are more mature than men.lol

What Guys Said 15

• Traditional dating is a meat market; mostly, historically, and still somewhat today, the older guys have the most money, so they tend to have most of the attractive young women as well.

I realized this in my teens and dropped out of the traditional dating game..it's a stacked deck!

• What did you do instead?

• On a travel group trip, she was one of the group leaders.

• Where? How did that happen?

• People would give the couple sh*t in either scenario.

More guys want to date younger women and more younger women are interested in dating (not just hooking up with) older men. So it's more common.

I actually think people have more of a problem with the older male scenario. The older woman scenario they are just confused by.

• Because old women are NOT attractive at all. And because everybody knows this it is really suspicious for a Man to date older women, it's most certainly a hidden interest which writes dishonesty all over him.

Maxim: For a guy, dating older women is a dishonest behavior . Dishonest men deserve nothing less than death in exile from the tribe.

Yes, it's a double standard because you can't use a unique scale measure two completely different things.

• old men are also NOT attractive at all. All the hair and very little of them on the head, the wrinkly skin, the bulging beer belly? No, thank you. I'd rather have a dog.

• @Daph81

Awww, sure baby, sure.

• Not all younger women are attractive. There is such a good thing as HOT looking middle-aged women. Not a lot of them are out there and the available ones play hard to get.

@ Daph81...I'm a proud 48 y/o single man and never married...I have a full head of hair and no protruding gut. My skin is not wrinkled either. And, I've been told on occasions that I don't look my age. Don't take your youthful good looks and slender figure for granted.

• I usually see the reverse...the older guy is deemed a creeper and the older woman is seen as trendy.

• Absolutely false. It's the other way around.

If an older guy wants to date a younger woman, he's an immature, horny pervert who just wants to be young again. But if an older woman wants to date younger men she's hailed as empowered and sexy - why else is the whole cougar thing so popular now? And no one says she's bad or perverted for it.

• guys mature emotionally slower than women and are generally ready for the commitment stuff a lot later in life than the women. so generally it tends to be girls are younger

but the other way around a playful 22 year old bloke with a 50 year old women... yeh that wouldn't last too long

• It's not looked down upon as much because its harder to get.

But don't get me wrong, I think it's f***ed up.

• I think it's only fair that it happens this way... due to all the suffering young men have to face...

We get the last laugh ;)

• they always argue maturity, unfortuneately

• Couldn't give a f*** if I tried. I have absolutely no interest in policing people's thoughts.

• because girls somehow think age=success in life lol...

• interesting question same question as why girls like Justin Bieber which is a bad boy, lol.

• This is true when both are legal consenting adults and then at the same time if a 30 year old man gets with a 15 year old girl everyone gets upset as if the 30 year old man forced her or convinced her to be with him even if she was the one that seduced him, while if a 30 year old woman gets with a 15 year old boy then people will look at it as if the boy got what he wanted and that he's a lucky young lad. The 30 year old man gets punished harshly as he should, while the 30 year old woman will get off with either nothing or a light sentence.

• There are people from all different cultural backgrounds in America. In some cultures, it's customary and nothing out of the ordinary for women to date and marry older men. And, there are different accented norms among different populations within the US.

Generally speaking. I believe American women are less tolerant of age differences than foreign women. Some might say it's because they are trying to gain US citizenship or because they want to take an American to the bank. Or maybe it's because they have a different outlook on life and are truly looking for love as I prefer not to see things from a negative perspective.

Personally speaking, I'm 48 y/o and have never married and have no kids. I'm not a player, womanizer or bad boy. I want a girlfriend and eventually a wife if I could only find the right person. However a vast majority of the available women out there within my own age range have a lot of mileage on them (if you know what I mean) or are middle-aged divorcees with kids OR both. And, that is baggage and drama that I'm not interested in inheriting. It's sad because it would be nice to date an attractive-looking woman within my own age range. I've been told that I don't look my age and I still feel young inside. I exercise regularly and eat as well as possible to stay in shape. Therefore, I prefer a younger woman if she's willing to accept me. So the search will go on...

• Depressing. If I am unmarried at 30 I will be depressed

• I don't think people see it as cool for a 50 year old guy to date a 25 year old girl.