Can someone be amazing over text but awkward in real life?

I've never met someone who's super witty, funny, and awesome while texting, but shy/quiet or awkward in real life. Is that possible? I know obviously everyone is more outgoing through text, but if you're really that witty it must come out in person too, right? There's this guy I've been texting who I haven't met, and he literally has me grinning like a complete idiot at every text I get from him :)

Most Helpful Guy

• It's quite possible. I have a friend who is amazingly witty--he always says the funniest things at the best moment. He is always thinking of funny things to say ahead of time, just in case that situation ever comes up (he calls it having the joke in his back pocket). On the other hand, I often think of something funny to say 20 minutes after that perfect moment. I'm just not very good in real time--at least on average, although sometimes I am quicker. The same goes for serious subjects--I'm better when writing than I am in a conversation. I can think of good things to say in real time, but I'm much better at expressing them in writing. I just need a couple of minutes of thought organization, and the ability to go back and edit what I have to say, to better express my thoughts...

Perhaps it is different when texting, since that is closer to real time than other types of writing. However, you may be correct that being a bit bolder when texting could make all the difference, especially if someone was shy in face-to-face interactions. However, I would expect that if the issue was boldness then once the person was more comfortable around a stranger they would become more like their true self...

What Guys Said 3

• "Can someone be amazing over text but awkward in real life?"

Yes, I would know. I would definitely know...

• Definitely...

Texting acts as a shield to human demeanor: Someone could text with linguistic fluency like James Joyce, but when you meet them in person, they could be as personable as a rock... the opposite is true too. Sometimes you can meet someone in person who is well-versed and can carry a conversation, but has the texting skills of a spastic five year old...

• Completely possible. It's just like people will say things on the internet that they wouldn't say in real life.

What Girls Said 2

• yes its very possible

• I believe in it, because I have a friend you is the same. We text a lot and he is cool and tell jokes and everything, but when we are in person he is not so open.