Have you ever liked someone who lives across the globe whom you met online?

Whether it's just a chatting friend, or someone you met on an online dating site. And I'm talking about liking them without seeing them in person.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Actually, at one point I felt like I LOVED someone whom I met online, whom I met on GAG.

It was about two years ago. We met here, started out as friends, we had this instant, effortless connection that I couldn't seem to develop with other guys even MONTHS after dating them.

It was only a matter of time before things went to the next level.

I cared for him so much that I worked my ass off at a Halloween store to save up, leave the country, and meet him. Less than a month before I was scheduled to leave, we were talking and he told me that he would have sex with another girl if given the opportunity. This was a huge smack in the face. Although he was being honest, it spoke volumes about his character or lack of. I broke up with him and cancelled my trip. I felt like he wasn't worth all of that money and effort after basically telling me he would cheat on me if some girl who was willing to put out came his way.

Somehow we ended up maintaining a friendship, but I ALWAYS held that against him. That was no doubt one of the most selfless things I had ever done for anyone and he showed me how much he really didn't give a f***. We ended up getting back together about a year later. He f***ed that up too lol He told me he didn't love me, broke up with me, then proceeded to insult me and call me all types of nasty, degrading, belittling names. Lied to people about me being obsessed with him when in actual reality, I was rightfully HURT and so painfully disappointed. That burnt whatever bridge we had left.

Over a year later, he friend requests me on FB. So I message him saying "What the f*** do you want." He replies immediately with "I love you." followed by a long back and forth of "F*** you" and him saying "Take me back. I broke up with my girlfriend for you." He even sent a naked pic. I told him I was with someone else and the next day he deleted the FB *which by the way, was a temporary FB he made up to contact me since I had blocked him from everywhere else after cutting off all contact* He flagged all of the messages so FB didn't show them, then when I unblocked him elsehwere to finish our convo, he said he lied to me and that he DOES have a girlfriend. Which honestly it seems like he was trying to save face I don't know maybe I never will

The lesson in this story: You can't trust someone you meet online.

• Wow that dude sounds like a nutjob, sorry to hear about that

• @ Passion_Prevails, lol it's not your fault. I don't think he was a nut job, just in that awkward transitioning from being a boy to becoming a man. He had other stuff going on...I honestly don't think he was a nutjob, just had really sh*tty ways of dealing with things.

• My guess is, whatever the case may be, something happened that either made him miss the emotional support he had with me or some female f***ed him over and showed him how rare it is to get a female to love you who wouldn't treat you a certain way. So he came back, but when he found out it was too late, he saved face by saying he has a girlfriend. Either that or he wanted to cheat on his girlfriend with me. Either way he looks HORRIBLE.

What Guys Said 11

• Definitely.

I don't confuse it with an in-person in-the-flesh friendship, but it is a friendship. We just don't really have the words to describe this sort of thing yet. It's still relatively new in the 21st century.

• Sure. I meet great people from all over the world.

• no not really , have seen neat girls online before but they weren't from that far away , they were like a few hours away or in another province maybe but never across the world

• One of the girl I knew in person, and it was like 9 years ago - she was from Switzerland. The other girl, we were talking flirting for a month, she was great, beautiful, but she stopped any contact because of the distance - a little chance of dating/meeting in person, she was from California, don't remember the town, we never met. Other 2 through social networking site. It was more then a year ago.

• Liked yes, loved not.

Two Chinese , a Vietnamese and an Aussie chatting/mailing friends.

• That's really the other side of the world, not like the USA which is 'only' an ocean far.

• Well I've made a few friends that I've never met in person, but I've never had a crush or anything like that.

• yes. I had an online relationship and loved her very much while it lasted.

• Sure, as long as they are honest about who they are, can obviously learn to like that online easily.

• Yes... she's in Malaysia :)

• Yes, I wanted to tap that.

• I once fell for a girl on Xbox Live who lived several states away, before I even saw a picture of her.

What Girls Said 13

• na I can't... I'm more of a face to face person I reckon

• not that I can recall

• yup. some peoples' personalities are ridiculously bright and tangible, even without face-to-face interaction.

• Yeah, but I broke off contact quickly. There would be no future for us. So it's pretty useless to keep his hopes up.

• Yep I have.

• I've been friends with a Chilean guy who now lives in Germany for five years!

• Yes.. for personality..

• Yes,liking the cool personality of the person.

• liking as internet friend yes...no more than that. in switzerland...grateful of his help, and care.

i would not have more than friendly encounter...since I don't believe in LDR

i have also met a few GAG friends in the US..lovely people and real normal. still keep in contact with them

• Yes. When talking is all you have, you can really get close to someone.

• No I don't believe in online dating. I just can't have those feelings without physically seeing them there in front of me. The most was that I found a few guys cute or hot but were just friends and they have a girlfriend in rl and online! I don't get why online though because they obviously don't have a problem in rl, I thought it was cheating but when I asked them they said its just for fun.

• yes but it was only puppy love, I did not expect anything serious from it

• I sort of fell for a guy I met online that we corresponded online for six months before meeting him. I was from Kansas and he from New Zealand.